Knives - can't see anything on the Almanac

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Organic Ginger

Knives - can't see anything on the Almanac

Post by Organic Ginger » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:51 pm

Hi all

Another Numpty question but I'm about to buy a knife, and wondered which ones everyone uses?

Thanks

OG
OG

fruitcake

Post by fruitcake » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:53 pm

to cut what? cheese or trees?

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:11 pm

I have a Gerber E-Z-out Rescue Knife. It seems well made and cuts rope very effectively.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:30 pm

Nothing in the Almanac - good point - but there will be after this discussion ;-)

I've got a Gerber River Shorty - £28 or so, or a bit less on eBay sometimes. http://www.gerbertools.com/8369.htm - this lives on the knife patch on my river ba and I like it because it's "just there" if ever it's needed.

For my sea paddling, I've got a Kutmaster with a folding blade that can be opened one-handed - my justification being that on a river I just want the knife immediatley to hand, while in a sea situation I (expect / hope) think I'm less likely to want the knife in quite such a hurry. Primarily though, I wanted something that would live in a pocket and althought the Gerber could do that, I prefer the less Rambo-like look on the sea!http://www.kutmaster.com/marine_series/product11b.php again bought on eBay.

The Gerber has a serrated edge and I do think thats important as it makes cutting wet rope/line easier.

These are carried as "emergency knives" - which means for me at least that they dont get used for normal, everyday-in-camp use - I've got a nice big (and very sharp) folding knife for that!

Mike.
Last edited by MikeB on Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silverhead

Cheap stainless knives

Post by Silverhead » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:08 pm

For a workhorse - no nonsense stainless steel knife try a Frost Mora knife.
They have an excellent reputation. Check out some of the serious 'Knife sites' on the web - not the 'Rambo Style Survival' sites.
www.baconsdozen.co.uk/knives.htm and www.ragweedforge.com/SwedishKnifeCatalog.html are worth a look.

Even if you accidentally gift it to Davy Jones, at these kind of prices, it won't break your heart or wallet.

I've been well pleased with mine.

jurgenk

Post by jurgenk » Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:18 am

I have the McNett River knife, which I have been happy with (do not though if it is available across the pond). I had the Gerber that MikeB mentioned on my PFD (your BA) but it went swimming while practicing some wet exits. The McNett is cheaper, attachs to your vest with screws and nuts (the Gerber I had used plastic buttons one of which fell off on one occasion), and has a hole in the tang at the end of the handle through which you can run a piece of shock cord. The loop formed can act as a lanyard and also can be run around the sheath to lessen the chances of the knife going swimming accidentally.

Organic Ginger

Post by Organic Ginger » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:52 am

Thanks guys, that's really helpful - mostly for cutting cheese/safety. Will help me look like a real sea kayaker, too.
OG

Ken R

Post by Ken R » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:17 pm

I would advise against putting a landyard or similar on a knife. I would prefer to loose the odd knife than find one wheezing around near my face merely beacause it was attached to me when something went wrong.

Ken