Mark R

Afon Tywi - Junction Pool to Dolauhirion

Post by Mark R » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:24 pm

Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

andy g

Re: Afon Tywi - Junction Pool to Dolauhirion

Post by andy g » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:26 pm

A small group of us ran this section, starting at the Caravan and Camping Club site in Rhandirmwyn down to Dolauhirion on Saturday.

The campsite manager is amenable to groups starting there as long as you ask permission first (preferably in advance) and secondly do not block their access road , or leave vehicles anywhere on the approach road. It also helps if you have a CCC member among your party, which we did. There is another get on river right, opposite, but the farmer there is reported to be very hostile , so best not to antagonise.

The river was low, (0.48 on gauge) but paddleable, and as usual was a good scenic run.

There were several trees down which were mostly easily passable, but about a mile before the finish and at the end of the last mini-gorge , there is a tree which blocks the entire river. It is easily visible ahead and there are plenty of eddies to stop above it. There is a sneak route extreme river right for experienced paddlers only, but for mixed & inexperienced groups I would recommend a portage river right.

Andy

Dave Thomas

Post by Dave Thomas » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:26 pm

I think the tree at the end of the last mini-gorge may be the same one that has been there for years - it was certainly there witheteh same configuration last year. I suspect it is well covered at higher levels because the constriction causes the water to back up substantially there, and hence cover the tree, for a modest rise in general river level.

It's a difficult portage. However, the main issue with paddling it at the level you mention is the current pushing towards the upstream branches of the tree. I've found it possible to (a) stand opposite the tree, 'catch' approaching paddlers and guide them round the tree, or (b) walk paddlers and line boats down to the eddy level with tree and relaunch them there where the run-out past the downstream pinch-point is clear.
Dave Thomas

andy g

Post by andy g » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:57 pm

Dave,

You are probably correct the tree looked as if it had been there for a while , but I don't remember it being present when we did the same run 2 years ago (but that was at a much higher level)

We didn't find the portage river right too bad, once off the water you can either seal launch into the pool directly below the tree blockage , or push boat onto the water and then make your way around into the next eddy and get in there.

Andy

Dave Thomas

Post by Dave Thomas » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:51 pm

The works associated with the replacement bridge at the Burial Chamber (just below Junction Pool) put-in have now been competed. The layby has been formalised (tidied up, kerbed, etc) but all of the land on either side of the bridge both sides of the river is now fenced off with substantial chest-high wooden fences with a strand of barbed wire stapled to the top rail. There is even a double row of fencing ~1m apart along the back of the layby. Also, the bank below the layby has been re-profiled so that it is now steep right down to a mini-cliff at the river's edge.

While sussing things out from the bridge, I had a perfectly amiable chat ("don't shoot me - I'm only the messenger"!) from the guy who lives in the house across the bridge. "The council, the fishermen, the landowner don't want anyone launching here!" I pointed out that, apart from anything else, this was not a matter within council jurisdiction. However it seems highly probable that someone - perhaps the aforesaid L bank landowner (who lives further up the road, apparently) - has 'influenced' the council with regard to the defensive nature of the fencing which has been erected.

I said that we intended to paddle anyhow, and he did say that he had no problem with us paddling. The discussion got on to the use in some places of honesty boxes for paddling access, and he remarked that for £1.50 a head we could go through a gate into his field and then lift boats over his fence and scramble down the R bank to get on the water. I didn't take him up on this, as it is perfectly feasible to go beyond the end of the fence (5m past the end of the layby!) and follow a vestigial steep rough path - created by paddlers in the past couple of months? - down to the river 100m upstream of the bridge. We actually lined the boats straight down the slope to make life a bit easier.

Needless to say, it didn't stop us having a perfectly pleasant paddle. And incidentally, the tree in the final constriction of the last mini-gorge is still there but at yesterday's level (0.8m) it was easily passable river R, with just a short stump protruding above the water level mid-river.
Dave Thomas

chriscw

Post by chriscw » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:27 pm

One of our groups did this section on Saturday while I was paddling the Gwili. They were asked to pay £2 per head to cross land to get to the river by a man on a tractor claiming to be the farmer. Apparently it was not a particularly easy access, it always was quite steep. I do not know if this was the same chap as Dave mentioned from January 12th.

Is there an alternative get in in the area which has not been obstructed?
Chris Clarke-Williams
Location Basingstoke

Paddling Interests:
Touring, Coaching Beginners (I am an L2K), Surf White water trips, Weir Play (I'm not good enough to put freestyle!)

axeman

Post by axeman » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:29 pm

I take it that this was at the bridge . below junction pool ? (copy and paste the co-ordinates into google maps)

here - 52.098402, -3.793013

there is alternate (decent) access to this section of the tywi further downstream at rhandirmwyn bridge that cuts out a lot of the flat

52.077041, -3.784788

and further up at the bottom of the bird reserve section , there is a small track that runs round to junction pool itself, its about a 10-15 minute walk in but a stunning place to be , and the last slide is good fun , not really any parking available here so a non paddling shuttle driver is best .

about here ;- 52.101943, -3.779368

Matto

Post by Matto » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:46 am

Electric fence wire now strung across the river somewhere between the end of the second mini gorge (where the tree blockage sill is) and the Dolauhirion bridge rapid. At low level (0.4m on the Dolauhirion gauge) it was about 2-3 feet off the water so easy enough to go under. Higher water it will be more of a problem.

The tree blockage was a definite portage at this level in canoes.
Matto

Matto

Post by Matto » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:41 pm

Correction to my above post, the wire across the river is before the second mini gorge.
Matto

kmac

Post by kmac » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:43 pm

Paddled on 16/02/16, 0.6 (low). Got on at Rhandirmwyn bridge and got out at Dolauhirion bridge. Ducked under a large tree in one of the earlier gorges, could be a hazard at higher levels, look well ahead. Also a tree choke in one of the last gorge sections with two trees and some debris. Can sneak right but only with commitment to both little drops in boily water. Can line/portage river right. Superb little trip, a new favourite river with plenty of interest!

Mal Grey

Post by Mal Grey » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:54 am

Update on tree blockages here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=126012

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:40 am

Red Mohawk canoe stuck on a tree across most of the river at the top of the last gorge. Stable when left, police informed and a team will be returning next weekend to extricate it.

Whilst writing, there was a really quite big drop right at the end of the gorge which is not normally there which leads me to think there is a tree across the whole of the river holding back the levels. When the levels drop, do be careful out there!

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:16 pm

Red canoe now removed. Tree still there!

Matto

Post by Matto » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:27 am

Tried to paddle the Tywi yesterday 5th Nov 2017. The tree is a total river blockage in a really difficult location. I tagged the grid ref as SN765410. It is in the second gorge just below the cottage at Dol-Goy. Was very difficult to spot with the sun in our eyes and very few good eddies to drop into.

River level was 0.665m on the Dolauhirion gauge. The tree is actually two trees in a big tangled mess just above the water line. From up river it loos like there might under on river left, bu inspection from above looks like there is an other branch above this which will feed you river right, and into the worst of it.

We bailed out, hauling out boats out river left ito the field behind the cottage. From there it's about 1km walk down to the bridge at Penlan where you can definitely get back in safely. There may be some other get in options a little earlier but it's 0.5km - 0.75km walk at least on this side of the river.

As we know there is another definite portage at the end of the third gorge (this is also blocked by trees which have been building for several years now) we decided we didn't have enough hours of daylight left, and walked back to the cars.

Unless someone gets in there with a pretty heft chainsaw it's going to be there a long time.

View from River Right

View from River Left
Matto

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:08 pm

No trees or wires blocking the river now, but there are 3 spots where trees may cause issues for beginners, all obvious from above.

If you Google nrw Brianne you can see the level in reservoir, if it's dropping fast they are probably releasing. If it's above zero then water is spilling over.

Mike
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.