River Tay - Stanley to Thistlebrig

Rivers 'near' Perth
Mark R

River Tay - Stanley to Thistlebrig

Post by Mark R »

Last edited by Mark R on Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Kizzie_St-As

Re: River Tay - Stanley to Thistlebrig

Post by Kizzie_St-As »

Hazard warning, info sent from a paddler to Perth Canoe Club re Stanley/Campsie Linn

Sunday
Main Stanley concrete weir - 3 shoots - river left has a large metal spike about a foot long right in the middle sticking up vertically. Unfortunately had nothing with us to shift it. It is difficult to see - about 8-10inches below water surface. Anyone running it would stand a high risk of it slicing through boat.
Done a Scottish river not on the site? Message me!

Kizzie_St-As

Post by Kizzie_St-As »

Further update on Stanley weir, more spikes discovered:

‎Mícheál Ó Céilleachair‎ - These very sharp spikes are in the eddy just below the weir at Stanley. The river is low at the moment but at slightly higher levels they will be just under the surface. Be careful. These are particularly nasty.

It's possible the low levels are just now revealing the damage done in the major floods earlier in the year.

Rae1

Post by Rae1 »

I've always fancied a battery powered grinder - £100ish from Toolstation, this would be a great use for one.
I see the river has dropped a lot more since the weekend - it isnt this low usually is it in April?
Anyway, is this on the left of the main central chute, or river left?

Kizzie_St-As

Post by Kizzie_St-As »

The spikes that have been discovered so far are in the river left shoot and in the eddy river right of the central shoot. In previous years members of Perth canoe club have taken tools out and removed spikes when they appeared - this time of year usually has fairly low levels so damage from winter floods can be seen. If you want to help out a group, there is a thread discussing this on facebook in the Scottish Whitewater group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/Scottis ... =bookmarks), or you could contact Perth Canoe club directly, I'm sure they'd be more than happy to point you in the right direction!

KevK

Post by KevK »

Spike in LEFT chute was a severed boat anchor. Removed.

Lots of spikes between the MIDDLE and the RIGHT channels (plus a few elsewhere) were a result of storm damage and general weir degradation. Removed where accessible down to below normal summer low water levels.

However, other bits (notably a large concrete and steel pad to the left of the MIDDLE channel) are unstable or in motion and winter highs may well create new dangers. Please be careful.

Return to “Scotland - Central Highlands”