Lake District Kayaking & Camping

Inland paddling
mattcass

Lake District Kayaking & Camping

Post by mattcass » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:35 pm

Hi Guys,

Loving the forum, excellent resource.

I was hoping I could gather some recommendations for kayaking in the Lake District. I've never been before and despite my best research efforts, I need someone with personal experience to help me out on where to go.

Can anyone recommend any good rivers that are fairly relaxed up to grade1/2 rapid?

Also, does anyone know of any campsites that sit on rivers? It's a particular love of mine, something I enjoy a lot in Snowdonia but after searching I can't seem to find any sites on the net that are situated on riverbanks?

Thanks

Matt

Mal Grey

Re: Lake District Kayaking & Camping

Post by Mal Grey » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:47 pm

Hey

I haven't paddled any of the rivers, so others will be better able to advise on those, but the Eamont and Eden spring to mind as possibles for further research.

As for camping, I can't think of any sites on a river, but there are several on lakes, the next best thing;

Coniston Hall - on coniston Water, funnily enough. Great location, can be a bit noisy.
Low Wray - NT site on the west shores of Windermere.
Waterside Farm - on Ullswater http://www.watersidefarm-campsite.co.uk/
Keswick Camping & Caravan Club site - on Derwentwater

Pubs within walking distance (just) of all!

Kate D

Post by Kate D » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:18 pm

For grade 1-2 rivers you might consider

Brathay, from the bridge near Brathay Church to Windermere, mostly grade 1 with a rocky rapid leading into Brathay Pool which is grade 2 in normal water levels.
Derwent, from Derwentwater to Bassenthwaite grade 1
Eamont, Ullswater to Eamont Bridge or Brougham Castle, grade 2
Eden, Lazonby to Armathwaite, grade 2
Kent, from A6 near Morrisons to just above Scrogs weir, grade 1-2, weir in Kendal portage right in low water conditions
Lune, Rawthey confluence to Rigmaden Bridge and Rigmaden to Kirkby Lonsdale, grade 2

I can't think of any campsites on the banks of any of these. There are others but these are the ones I can think of off hand. Check out the guidebook section of this site.

The Portage King

Post by The Portage King » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:34 pm

There's a NT site at Wasdale Head - so on Wastwater.

The best campsite in the country but two things to check:

1. There's been no power to the valley since before Christmas - Generators have been provided for the Pub etc but make sure it hasn't effected the site

2. There's a limit of 6 boats ( I think) on the lake at any time - not sure how or who you check with or how rigorously it's enforced

ruralweb

Post by ruralweb » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:18 pm

I would forget rivers up here as they are empty - levels are lower than at any time last summer. I look at the Eamont most days and today you could easily walk across many parts so paddling is out. Ullswater is very low but the exposed beaches make for good camping which you can do anywhere on the East shoreline - I paddled the length of it today and it was spectacula. Lots of sea kayaks and canoes out, infact more today than I saw the whole of last year and I was paddling every week - even last night at 10pm there was quite a few out looking at the stars.

There are two campsites on the wate, one either end of the lake but wild camping would be my choice either on the shoreline or one of the islands. The other lakes are tricky for camping and parking is very expensive at £9 per day in some places - national trust membership is usefull for derwent water and winderemere.
Mal

mattcass

Post by mattcass » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:39 pm

Thanks for the input guys

Brathay river sounds like a really good shout, although if the levels are that low then I guess it's not worth it :(

@ruralweb, what do you mean by the wate? sorry, I'm currently clueless. Camping by the lake is what I'm after though.

Cheers

Matt

rivereden

Post by rivereden » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:17 pm

Hi There

Mains Farm kirkoswald along the banks of the Eden, Fantastic bunk house also great camping.

Sam...

ruralweb

Post by ruralweb » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:52 pm

iPhone playing up - I ment to say two campsites on the water. If levels do go up then from Ullswater you can paddle down the eamont (excellent grade 2 ) and onto the Eden wild camping at Eden lacy caves then onto the solway firth. There is also brothers water beyond Ullswater with camping by the lake and from there you can paddle onto Ullswater via a small river which was just about paddleable last week.
Mal

Slime

Post by Slime » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:42 am

Suggest you check out the Cumbria Canoeists Website and download the detailed canoeing leaflets for Derwentwater, Thirlmere and Coniston. Campsites and all the info you need. Written by a certain Slimey character.....

mattcass

Post by mattcass » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:04 pm

brochures are great! postponing the trip for a bit as the freeze sets in. but will definitely come in handy in a month or so! thanks!

snuggle_bunny

Post by snuggle_bunny » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:37 pm

the river Derwent at Borrowdale and into Derwentwater is a must- put in at Seathwaite or the youth hostel near Rosthwaite and exit in Derwentwater at Kettlewell car park( the last car park going up valley, pay n display) No significant hazards- poss grade 3 in high water and poss of grinding at Grange. One of the most scenic rivers in the lake district . Camping at Hollows farm camp
site at Grange. I live at Kendal so if oyu fancy a paddle on Windermere or a beer one eve let me know

M0RGZ

Post by M0RGZ » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:20 pm

Bumping this one folks, thinking of the recommendation on the Derwent & camping in Grange beginning of September. Are there any pubs near Grange? Any other suggestions on rivers / camping would be fab.

banzer

Post by banzer » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:27 pm

There's a pub 3km upstream of Grange in Rosthwaite. You can camp at the YHA (Borrowdale) not far away.

If you get water, the Derwent is a good paddle. The upper (south of Derwent Water) is no good without water, but the sections below Derwent Water and Bassenthwaite have much more catchment and are usually ok.
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk