Dry-suits

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
JW

Dry-suits

Post by JW » Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:55 am

Any help/info/advice/opinions on which dry-suit to buy would be appreciated.

Cheers

JW

Fast Pat

Post by Fast Pat » Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:57 am

For my money Reed Chillcheater - good vale, warm and made to measure.

Gavin74

Post by Gavin74 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:45 am

I’m about to hand over my hard earned cash for a chill cheater suit.

Styling leaves a little to be desired, but I feel you get great value for money. Also as the suits don’t delaminate they should last a little while.....I hope!?

Gavin

Peachy

Post by Peachy » Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:49 pm

Gav

You don't look good in anything, soyou needn't worry!!

P

sub5rider

Post by sub5rider » Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:54 pm

These are reportedly the absolute canine gonads.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:04 pm

Daffers

Post by Daffers » Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:55 pm

sub5rider wrote:These are reportedly the absolute canine gonads.
Blimby, they're £700 odd - are they all that expensive?!!!
JP Lives Forever

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:05 pm

Daffers wrote:
sub5rider wrote:These are reportedly the absolute canine gonads.
Blimby, they're £700 odd - are they all that expensive?!!!
No. But you do get what you pay for.

CaptainSensible

Post by CaptainSensible » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:15 pm

No, they are not (check out the thread that MikeB was referring to).

Get Out Canoeing have some cheaper ones, but they won't be as lightweight and/or breathable as the Kokatat chips'wiv'everything suit.

Chris C

Post by Chris C » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:34 pm

Ive been using the Stikene from Palm and its the mutts Nuts! they use their most breathable material the cuts great and now they come with waterproof socks. They use the heavy duty brass zips reinforcement on knees, bums and elbows.

I went for the relief zip as standard and is definatly worth the extra money! much nicer keepin dry n warm n not having to strip to waist just togo 4a pee.

i got for paddling a spanishfly and has kept me warm and dry on many occasions

IM not sure how durable the reed stuff is stay away from brambles,n rocks its very soft stuff! but there cuts are nice

Simon Willis

Post by Simon Willis » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:35 pm

I asked the same thing in the thread Mike refers to above. I ended up with a DAMX dry suit, and I've happy with it - £269. The e-mail address is in the thread.
S

steve crofts

Dry Suits

Post by steve crofts » Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:03 am

Hi
I bought a Storm 6 dry suit on eBay for £65,that was the new price from a supplier of diving products in Manchester.
It is made of ripstop nylon with full length zip and neck and wrist seals and built in neoprene bootees.
I have been in the sea for ten minutes with it,water begins to seep through after a few mins but I only felt damp and after the 10 mins I was still comfortable enough to put my kayak on the roof of the car and walk the dog without changing.It is comfortable to wear with light fleece below and has given me a considerable comfort factor in rougher conditions
Regards
Crofty

JHMAC

Post by JHMAC » Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:43 pm

I bought the Chillcheater 'Paddle Suit' just over a year ago, initially it was fantastic, you hardly knew you were wearing it and it kept you dry for any amount of time spent in the water. However, although I was very careful and took great care with it, leaks started to materialise in both feet, lower legs, lower arms and bum area. It has been back to Chillcheater twice for repairs and now I am repairing leaks as they happen myself. I know they are developing the suit on an ongoing basis and are looking at using cordura in the areas prone to wear and tear. They have also added a soft hunter wellie in place of the socks and have offered to replace the bottom half of my suit once this has been tried and tested at cost (£45). When I eventually buy another suit it will depend on the budget but if I can it would be Kokatak, Palm Stikene or DAMX

Howard

Douglas Wilcox

DamX

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:00 pm

Like Simon, I went for the DamX. I have had it 6 months now. It is totally dry, very tough construction, but not very beautiful! I chose the non-breathable version as my previous, premium manufacturer, breathable dry trousers delaminated and started to leak after only 6 times out. To the manufacturer's credit, I got my money back with no quibble. If you wear the right base layer inside a non breathable suit, your skin stays dry but the water stays in the suit. I use Polartec Aquashell.

I do very much covet the Kokotat dry suit but its hugely expensive. I note that Cailean McLeod uses one and his seems to have stood up to the rigors of professional use extremely well.

Douglas

CaptainSensible

Post by CaptainSensible » Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:19 pm

I covet the Kokatat too; it is very expensive, but I've begun to persuade myself that investing in decent clothing etc. is as important as investing in a decent boat.

The appeal of the Kokatat is that one is able to wear it on reasonably warm/sunny days without getting cooked. I'm not a shorts and t-shirt guy (sun = death for people with my complexion) and I hate sun creams, so keeping cool whilst covered is just as important as keeping dry.

Chris Bolton

Trident two-piece

Post by Chris Bolton » Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:41 pm

I've recently bought a two-piece drysuit from Trident. Click the image on the right for the two-piece. It's basically a drytop and drybottoms with a totally watertight join at the waist. The top is breathable, the bottoms are heavier non-breathable. It doesn't have any zips - it's easy enough to unroll the waist seal if required. £250 with a free one-piece fleece.

It can be put on without help - I didn't want a zip which needed somebody else to close it, as a solo paddle would be one of the times I'd most like to waer it. I've used it for a fortnight's paddling in Austria, and it was fine. The seals are a thinner latex than usual, which makes them more comfortable, but perhaps more likely to leak and to wear out faster. Although designed for sailing it is an ideal weight for paddling.

I've had a Musto two piece for the last 15 years, and liked it, but it finally wore out and this is what I've replaced it with. I find the two piece concept good.

Chris

RichardCree

Post by RichardCree » Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:41 pm

kokatat, also do a 2 piece system and the system is as good as any other (i would doubt claims of 100% waterproof from any 2 piece system)

If the gore tex is a bit pricey look at the tropos under £300. and probably the best quality on the market.

ChrisS

Chillcheater suit with cordura

Post by ChrisS » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:13 am

Reeds have very considerately sent me a letter explaining that, for technical reasons (which they gave), they won't be putting their cordura reinforced paddlesuit into production.

Kayaks'N'Beer

Post by Kayaks'N'Beer » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:50 pm

Why do drysuits need to be so damned ugly? I mean there are some totally awesome wetsuits out there, make you look like a power ranger but drysuits are invariably hideous. Surely if someone made a sexy drysuit it'd sell like hotcakes. Maybe there is such a beast and I just haven't seen it yet?

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:52 pm

Kayaks'N'Beer wrote:drysuits are invariably hideous.
I'm saving up for one of these...

Tell it to me straight...is it okay or will the fashion police shoot me?
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Kayaks'N'Beer

Post by Kayaks'N'Beer » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:08 pm

Yeah I've seen that one. The top is wicked but the trousers look like something your gran would buy you for xmas. Where's the moulded knee and thigh pads with titanium bits in? I mean fair enough its job is to keep you warm and dry but why cant it's job be to keep you warm, dry and looking like you just joined the X-men?

I'm not as fashion conscious as I used to be, hell up until about 4 years ago I only ever paddled in black 501's and yves st laurent. I just got wet in 100%cotton 1 time too many I guess ;)

CaptainSensible

Post by CaptainSensible » Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:05 am

Levis & YSL... how utterly naff...

Drysuits need to be somewhat loose/bulky to accomodate paddling movements/posture and allow for thermals etc. to be worn underneath; lack of demand and/or lots of variation in paddle size/build also means that are not available in as many sizes as wetsuits etc. The Cordura is there for a bloody good reason too.

From a fashion perspective, most Kayak clothing doesn't appeal to me much either (but neither does looking like a Power Ranger). I think high visibility, comfort, and keeping dry etc. are more important than posing.

Chas C

Post by Chas C » Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:03 am

Tell it to me straight...is it okay or will the fashion police shoot me?

Well the infrequent swims will be in glorious Technicolor (or is it colour).

I've had the matching dry top for a season and it definitely does the job, but a little on the bright (or is it brite) side.

Chas

meatballs

Post by meatballs » Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:19 pm

If looks is an issue, go for the sidewinder torrent suit, cheaper too!

However, please avoid:

Kayaks'N'Beer

Post by Kayaks'N'Beer » Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:30 pm

She's actually striking a pose too!!!! Scary stuff.

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:48 pm

Just to let you know our new drysuit is in production at present and should be with us by the end of January. I know a bit late but we delayed manufacture so that we could upgrade the suit from a two layer breathable material to a trilaminate suit, again fully breathable.
This will have the same full brass dry zip as our last suit, cordura knees and bum, internal braces and waist band.
We have went with the latex socks again as the majority of our customers requested this but I would love to hear what people would prefer.
Forgot to say that we will be keeping the cost of the suit at £175.

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:25 pm

Will the new Lomo suit be a similar cut to the "Tornado" one on the website? Will there it have a relief zip?

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:37 pm

Yes, it will be nearly the same as the Tornado except for the material. I'm afraid there will not be a relief zip on this batch. We are looking at putting them in our next production but that will not be till the end of next season.
Colour will also remain with the red as nearly everybody said they liked that, but again let us know your thoughts.

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:04 pm

Dam suits seem to be good value from what has been said here although in my case I think I would need to buy some sort of special moisture wicking kit to wear underneath. Any views on these Seaskin under-suits? They seem fairly inexpensive compared with e.g. a Buffalo top and trousers, or Aquashell if you can find it.

I haven't done exact sums, but buying a Dam with all the extras I would want, plus something to wear underneath, would be about the same cost as a Palm Torrent - which has everything I want built in as standard and doesn't need anything special underneath.

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:51 pm

I've just been told by Dam that they can't provide a photo or drawing of their suit. Apparently its better to look at one in real life. I've seen Stikines and Kokatats, and very nice they are, but as far as I know I've never seen a Dam. So how do I know it doesn't look as minging as this: Image