Wild Camping on the Island?

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Flatfoot

Wild Camping on the Island?

Post by Flatfoot » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:54 pm

Looking to spend the Easter weekend paddling around the Isle of Wight and around Lymington. I don't really do Commercial campsites. I know of one or two discreet place on the mainland, but don't know any on the Island. I was looking at Newtown Creek on the northern side. Don't know if the wardens would jump though. They used to when I anchored up in the boat for the night. Any Ideas? Obviously it wouldn't be a good idea to broadcast it on an open forum, so a nudge and a wink by PM would be very welcome ;-)

Mark R

Re: Wild Camping on the Island?

Post by Mark R » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:22 pm

I haven't tried camping there - there is plenty of space, but there are also plenty of birds nesting and suchlike.

There are numerous other spots all around Wight, seems a bit obtuse to pick the National Nature Reserve...
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

OwenBurson

Post by OwenBurson » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:33 pm

Just outside (2km or so) the creek mouth to the west is one of my favourite sites, then freshwater bay, go up the steps and camp in the dip or on the cliff top if its not to windy. St Catharine's point has some great sites to camp - very nice for sun sets

Flatfoot

Post by Flatfoot » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:05 pm

Mark R wrote:I haven't tried camping there - there is plenty of space, but there are also plenty of birds nesting and suchlike.

There are numerous other spots all around Wight, seems a bit obtuse to pick the National Nature Reserve...
I was told about Newtown. Just wondered if anyone else knew of the it. The top of the creek, where the landing is, is supposed to be the area. Not seen or camped there myself. Only ever overnighted there while sailing. Lovely spot to watch the wildlife I must admit. The wardens are pretty hot regarding anchoring. I expect their hotter when it comes to nocturnal visitors....

Eliza Dolittle

Post by Eliza Dolittle » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:21 am

There is a Scout campsite at Newtown Creek. This would give you legal camping but it is not run like a commercial campsite. Lots of small grassy spots separated by hedges and woods. The SSSI status restricts camping to between May Bank Holiday and 31st October which would scupper your Easter plans. Search for Corf Scout Campsite for more info.

steddyjames

Post by steddyjames » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:26 am

Eliza Dolittle wrote:There is a Scout campsite at Newtown Creek. This would give you legal camping......
Is it illegal to wild camp?

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:54 am

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:18 pm

There are a lot of bivouac sites around the south of the Island, just above HW, especially if it is not Springs. Grassy fields tend to be privately owned, so more discretion is required. However, most of the locals (as opposed to weekend country retreat/holiday home owners) seem pretty friendly to genuine travellers by kayak. My son had a farmer come over to their bivouac just to check that they did have sleeping bags etc for the night, as 'he feared the paper work involved in removing hypothermia victims from his land in the morning', probably he has similar aged kids of his own.

The temptingly manicured lawns of Osborne House might be a spot best avoided.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:02 pm

PeterG wrote:The temptingly manicured lawns of Osborne House might be a spot best avoided.
I forget the name of the castle next door, but a couple of us woke up one morning (after arriving by dark) to find we were camped in its grounds...

Seriously, check out the high sea wall stretching east of Cowes ... loads of great spots up on top of it. However, Andy L found that - at HW Springs - large ships leaving Southampton create enough wake to overtop the wall...
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

heather.rock

Post by heather.rock » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:38 pm

Having camped down there myself.. I know an amazing place on a cliff edge with a path to the beech will pm you..

Anita

Post by Anita » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:26 pm

I have sent you a Pm with a few suggestions for camping on the IOW.

Anita

Sprucey

Post by Sprucey » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:47 pm

"I forget the name of the castle next door, but a couple of us woke up one morning (after arriving by dark) to find we were camped in its grounds..."

Isn't it Norris Castle?

Have spent many any afternoon caught up in the "Norris Nadgers" losing a huge lead in a Cowes week yacht race trying to get to the finish 1/2 mile away!

Sprucey

Carla C

Post by Carla C » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:46 pm

Hi there I know this is an old lost but I am looking for wild camping ideas on the the Isle of Wight any suggestions would be appreciated many thanks

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:11 pm

Any of the beaches away from the main towns just above HW -best at neaps rather than springs.....