Chichester Harbour

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Flatfoot

Chichester Harbour

Post by Flatfoot »

Evening people, I've been sitting here pouring over my old charts of Chichester. I''ve got to pick up some new ones, these are from the boat before I sold it.
Anyway that aside I've decided to have a weekend down there exploring all the nooks and crannies. I went onto the Chichester web site to look up fees for harbour dues. There isn't any mention of canoes or kayaks so do I take it that I'd have to pay for an "unpowered vessel" up to 5m?
Do kayaks even need to pay dues? Your help would be most welcome.

tg

Re: Chichester Harbour

Post by tg »

I've launched at Dell Quay and W.Itchenor without being challenged. I think most of the slips are public.

Tim
"I sink therfore I am".

canoegnu

Post by canoegnu »

Hi,

In theory, kayaks should pay harbour dues to Chi Harbour Conservancy. I live locally & have paddled on the harbour many times and have never been challenged. Neither have any of my paddling friends, so far as I'm aware. It seems to be one of those rules that are never enforced. I've always thought it was questionable anyway, as rather than being a harbour in the true sense of the word, it is really a very wide tidal inlet, with a narrow mouth. Therefore, as tidal water, there ought to be free public access.

There are public slipways at Emsworth, Bosham, Dell Quay and Itchenor but you'll have to pay to park your car. You can also launch from a free public car park next to The Ship Inn, just before the bridge onto Hayling Island.

Chi harbour is well worth a paddle - have a great time !

Regards,

Ian

PeterG

Post by PeterG »

I used to paddle the harbour a lot and so paid my dues, the conservancy does do a good job of looking after the place. The Anas acuta is just 5.20m so I paid at the £18 rate. After some years my renewal notice was unexpectedly cheap as I had been 'deemed' to be under 3m by someone in the office, and so attracted only the bargain basement £3 rate. The only time anyone asked was a middle aged female busybody 'friend of the harbour' who gave me a long tirade on kayakers not paying their dues; and needed first aid when I produce mine!

To follow the law many sea kayakers should be paying at the £29 rate.

The chances of being asked, unless you happen to be breaking other harbour byelaws, is almost zero, so it depends if you want to support the place or not.

Jim

Post by Jim »

canoegnu wrote: I've always thought it was questionable anyway, as rather than being a harbour in the true sense of the word, it is really a very wide tidal inlet, with a narrow mouth.
I think you'll find that is pretty much in keeping with the true sense of the word, association with actual structures for tying vessels up and loading and offloading came afterwards, 'harbour' just means a sheltered place.
The fact that the entrance is narrow means that the waves (and to a lesser extent the wind) are blocked from entering the wide tidal inlet leaving calm sheltered waters on the inland side.

joyjohn

Post by joyjohn »

Hi Peter G

Was the £3 the annual rate or a one off?
If so do they have the concept of a day rate?

To put it into perspective there is a fee of £6 per day to paddle on the Tiverton Canal here in Devon and no cheap rate for short craft :-(
Have two Scorpios !

Flatfoot

Post by Flatfoot »

Thanks for the info. I've no problem paying the dues. Money has got to come from somewhere for the running costs to look after the place and lets face it, for the cost of less than half a tank of petrol, its not a lot in the scheme of things.