Touring Cag

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Niall Duncanson

Touring Cag

Post by Niall Duncanson » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:18 am

Just returned from a cracking trip up to the head of Loch Lomond at the end of last week. Must be the first camping trip I've ever been on w/o midges!
Photos are online at the otherwise WW only site.
www.wetdreams.org.uk/photos/showAlbum.php?albumID=24

This was also the sea trials for a number of bits of kit.

1. DAM Watersports XL Dry Bag, to hold the luxury tent on the back deck.
This worked perfectly, but I'll need to evolve a better harness system to flatten the tent onto the deck, and the Sirius was a bit of a handful downwind, with the extra windage aft.

2. DAM Watersports 3000 Series Dry Trousers. These worked beautifully and have my full recommendation. Those rubber socks are great!

3. Yak Vision Touring Cag, New (Pre-factory sample), From Ebay, for £70 (thanks for the tipoff Mark)
Unfortunately this was not so good, as the stitching pulled out by the inch, and is being sent back for refund.

So, what do people use for touring tops these days? I liked the folding hood and double collar with high outer, of the Yak, but would prefer wrist gaskets. The only option that seems viable is the Kokatat, but that's quite a price!
Any suggestions welcome.

Niall Duncanson

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:11 pm

Recently I have been wearing a Palm Yukon - not cheap but excellent.

Warm, comfortable, hardwearing, breathable.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:33 pm

I also paddle a Yukon but find it is let down by the lack of a closeable neck. You can pull the toggles tight on the hood but it doesn't really stop the water going down your neck when it gets rough.

Good cag otherwise.

The new Gul ones seem ok but are only available in blue or grey, just what you need to be run down by a Stenna off Holyhead!!!

JW

CCL

Post by CCL » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:30 pm

? wait for NEW palm sea cag (can't remember the name) due out in August (allegedly).....from what I remember of the prototype that went to the boat show it does have a closable neck.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:25 pm

Anonymous wrote:I also paddle a Yukon but find it is let down by the lack of a closeable neck.
It zips right up, I don't understand.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Niall Duncanson

Post by Niall Duncanson » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:19 pm

I presume he means the lack of an 'adjustable neck seal' of neoprene, which I think is missing in the pics.

So far the options are:

Peak Ocean Storm,
Palm Yukon,
Palm Alaska,
Kokatat XCR,
Yak Vision - The desc by Robin Hood Watersports states a trilamiate material, and latex wrist gaskets, both conspicuously absent in mine. Looks like it was designed to be a mock-up only.

Or... Wait for my new boat to arrive and then review finances.

The problem is now finding a shop in/near Glasgow that sells these, so I can try them on.

Thanks for the help
Niall Duncanson

CaileanMac

Post by CaileanMac » Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:30 am

Niall,

Live in Glasgow myself - shops to try on sea kayak cags are few and far between. Tiso's at Townhead will have some Palm cags and Lomo on Crow Road don't have a touring cag yet...watch this space as the lads are busy on a sewing machine in their shop's backroom! It's a wee while away yet as I am lead to believe, but if the Lomo Drycag is anything to go by then the touring cag will be just 'the business' and at a very reasonable price.

Richard Cree of Explore4 in Ayrshire has got Peak cags and if you fancy a wee trip South, Knoydart have their shop in Keswick, Cumbria. 2hrs from Glasgow.

Are you coming to the symposium on Skye? All the UK sea kayak retailers will be there with their stock to sell and try on.

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:10 pm

HI
Have you tried out Reed kit? They have a touring cag which I have used.
Nice soft feel and good seals around the wrists without the use of normal latex. The neck closure is a little fickle but I found it a minor niggle. Apparently REED are quite open to 'custom' requests too.

Niall Duncanson

touring cag

Post by Niall Duncanson » Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:40 am

Cailean - Thanks for the info, the Lomo Drycag certainly is good, SUCC has a dozen of them for general use now.

I hadn't planned to go to the symposium due to lack of transport, but if I can cadge a lift from someone I'd be very interested.

My new boat is coming from Richard C (only 7 more days to wait!), and he suggested the Peak Ocean Storm, which I intend to try soon.
I could do with a trip south (south?) to Knoydart at some point, to generally salivate over all the shiny new kit, but its a long trip for a final year student at this time of the year.

Guest - a brief websearch revealed nothing on Reed canoeing gear, can anyone tell me where to find them?

I did ask DAM Watersports if they could do one for me, but he said it just wasn't practical.

Cheers
Niall Duncanson

Jim

Post by Jim » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:11 pm

Reed is the manufacturer, the brand is Chillcheater, you should find more results for that.

JIM

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:41 pm

http://www.chillcheater.com/ will get you to Reed.

Personally I'm a big fan of the Kokatat - great cags, albeit not inexpensive!

I've got a Palm as well - nicely made but as has already been comented on, lacks the facility to seal the neck. Its fine for general conditions though.

I've heard good things about Reed kit but one user did say that he found the neck gusset wasnt big enough and kept catching irritatingly on his chin.

Mike.

CaileanMac

Post by CaileanMac » Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:37 pm

Niall,

If your interested in going to Skye Symposium - have you booked a place? It was fully booked out (150 people) back in mid March. Might be worth emailing the organisers to see if anyone has cancelled, if you are really interested in going.

Symposium website:

www.seakayakcoach.com

Cailean :-)

Dave Rossetter

Post by Dave Rossetter » Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:56 pm

Hi,

You can try Yak, Palm, Adventure North, Nookie and Peak touring cags at Stirling Canoes just up the road from you.

RichardCree

Post by RichardCree » Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:02 pm

the peak tourlight hoodie may be worth a look, i think about £70.00

aldo

Post by aldo » Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:58 pm

I have a yak kalyx jacket which has wrist gaskets-not overly expensive

Tim L

Cheap sea cag

Post by Tim L » Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:43 pm

this looks like a bargain if you're quick

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 69294&rd=1

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:19 pm

It would have been a bargain, if you'd kept quiet...I had watched this carefully for days, I was ready to pick it up for well under 60 quid at the last moment.

Seeing the post above, I now know why it jumped to 123 quid in the last ten seconds...
Last edited by Mark R on Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Niall Duncanson

touring cag

Post by Niall Duncanson » Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:21 pm

I'd been watching it too - but at least 2 other people wanted it more than me! Thanks for the heads-up though.

I think price is not particularly important, as I've met the effect of false economy with cheaper cycling jackets that last less than a year. (they do get 5-6hrs use per week tho)

Looks like a trip to Stirling Canoes is in order, to see the full range. Although I am tempted by the Kokatat. Mike - can you tell me if the hood folds away, as I liked that feature of the Yak?

Not sure if Chillcheater is the sort of thing I want, but should try them out before I say that. (anywhere to do that in Scotland?)

Thanks for all the ideas - the shortlist isn't getting any shorter!

Cailean - No, haven't booked, didn't realise it was so popular! From the programme, though, it looks like I could get a lot from it. Next time, perhaps.
From your site, it looks like you've done well since we last met!

Cheers all
Niall Duncanson

MikeB

Re: touring cag

Post by MikeB » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:12 am

Niall Duncanson wrote: Mike - can you tell me if the hood folds away, as I liked that feature of the Yak?

Not sure if Chillcheater is the sort of thing I want, but should try them out before I say that. (anywhere to do that in Scotland?)
Yes it does - rolls up and is secured with a strap. Talk to KariTek for Reed in Scotland. (Links in the Almanac)

Regs - Mike.