Paddle leashes

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Mark R

Paddle leashes

Post by Mark R » Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:31 pm

Pros/ cons? What's available, please?

(possibility of obtaining one of these occurred to me today whilst trying to retrieve, open and drink a bottle of Lucozade in a strong headwind and choppy swell...)
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Douglas Wilcox

paddle leashes

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:45 pm

Just back from guineapigging for a level 5 assessment with Gordon Brown in Skye. Yesterday there was a force 6 northerly coming down through the narrows under the Skye bridge with a spring ebb going north.

We were not allowed on the water withouy paddle leashes.

I like them for on the water photography in calmer conditions.

A few weeks ago I was out in big surf and fell out my boat taking a photo.Richard C got me back in real quick then shoved me off but the paddle leash was wrapped right round the boat and I could not get the paddle in the water on one side, sploosh!

I like them.

Douglas

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:22 pm

Knoydart have some - http://www.knoydart.co.uk/

Richard Seaby

Post by Richard Seaby » Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:34 am

Had a home made one for a long time, but picked up one of these in the US (available here http://www.northwater.com). My home made one was always attached to my paddle. You uncoiled it and tucked a ball under the deck lines. I like this system more than the being attached to the boat all the time.

Both are useful, but I only use them occasionally.

Advantages of the leash are that you cant loose your paddle, Disadvantages that it can ping things off you deck, and tangle around all sorts of things.

capsized8

Paddle Leashes

Post by capsized8 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:44 am

I came out of my boat in a big sea last October. The boat was snatched away from me, I made a grab for the boat and missed. Thankfully I spotted the paddle and obtained a firm grip on the shaft and was able to retrieve my boat.
I use a home made leash, it is made from bright blue tape that can be seen (bought ones tend to be black) and quick buckles with a small shock band at one end. It is fastened to the deck lines when paddling. It can be a pain in the *** when using the VHF but it is certainly one less thing to consider should you get wet (or someone else) and can be very useful as I discovered.
Dont paddle without one.
peace and good padlin.

DaveM

Paddle leashes

Post by DaveM » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:48 am

I did experiment with them a number of years ago but dropped the idea. The risk of entanglement is too great, however I do sometimes have a short (4-5") elastic and clip to attach my paddle to deck lines for rescues.

I've never lost my paddle on the water, perhaps a white water and surf background taught me to hang on to it. On a sea kayak I usually have spares on deck so it's not a big deal.

Try this for entertainment, learned on coaching training where leashes were touted as the solution to loose paddles during rescues.

Find someone with a paddle leash, it will be attached to the centre of the shaft for paddling, and get them to drop the paddle over the side. Then give them another paddle and get them to paddle slowly forward. The paddle aligns it's self fore and aft along the boat and soon the front blade dives, the paddle rotates about the leash and the other blade comes over and clubs the paddler over the head.

Hilarious, works almost every time.

Davem

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:27 pm

Excellent for a long trip alone; stops an embarrassing loss of blades when you need to attend the call of nature.

I use the leash from a body/boogie board. Far cheaper (£9) and more robust than Knoydart or North Water versions.

JW

Chris Bolton

Home made leash

Post by Chris Bolton » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:46 pm

I have a 3m length of 4mm shock cord, fixed somewhere near the bow, and running back over the deck and under the forward set of chart elastics. This has a smal stainless krab which clips into a loop of cord attached to the centre of my paddle.

The elastic keeps it under slight tension so it doesn't tangle. The long length means it doesn't take any significant force to extend it, so it doesn't upset the stroke. Running it under the deck elastic keeps it on the front deck so it doesn't catch the blade when rolling, and means I can always reach it. Attaching it to the centre of the paddle is much better than the solutions which wrap round the shaft and have a tendency to slide down and hit your hand. When not in use (50%?) I clip the krab onto the deckline.

As I learnt yesterday, if you drop the paddle alongside while taking photos, drop it on the windward side. Once it been swept under the boat it can be tricky to retrieve!

Chris

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:17 am

Interesting, I use a short piece of shock cord to leash the paddle to my wrist. It has saved me losing it when trying to adjust my hat in a force 6 so I deem it suitable for me. I only use it when the wind gets up though. I guess I would use it to retain the paddle if I was ever faffing around on the water, although I can't recall ever needing to when stopping for photographs, rescues would be another matter.

JIM

ChrisS

Personal leash

Post by ChrisS » Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:03 pm

Knoydart sell a personal leash for attaching yourself to your boat. Its 4.5m long and has a quick release waist belt. I think its a Feathercraft accessory with a warning not to use it in surf. Good or bad idea?

Dave Thomas

Personal leash

Post by Dave Thomas » Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:42 pm

I'd be very uneasy about this, personally. I do use a paddle leash (attached to the boat) - in 'difficult' conditions or where I may end up rescuing or helping to rescue. But I don't much like having lengths of rope/cord around as potential entanglement hazards - based at least partly on experience in having an open boat 'swim line' wrapped - albeit loosely - around my legs once!

I suppose the difference is that a paddle leash is, in principle, useful in several circumstances when you are still in the boat (dropped paddle, paddle placed in water while rescuing) - and hopefully therefore useful on more occasions. Yes, it can present an entanglement hazard - but on balance the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. A personal leash is only any use when you are in the water (incidentally that might well be in 'surf' conditions, being realistic!) and have let go of the boat. Even then, if the boat is blown away from you, a paddle on its leash would hopefully be trailing behind the boat (even acting like a sea anchor) and giving you something to grab hold of.

All in all, not on my 'must have' - or even 'nice to have' - kit list!

Dave Thomas

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:21 pm

What think we of using a length of bungee attached to your BA as a paddle leash?

Mike.

Speciman

Post by Speciman » Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:58 pm

As a kayak fisherman my rods and paddle are leashed. By carrying a kayak/canoe knife in my pfd which has a straight and serrated edge I can cut a leash or line at a moments notice.

danielb

Post by danielb » Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:20 am

Does anyone use paddle leashs in the surf?

gary bb

Post by gary bb » Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:00 pm

Yes,I wouldn`t surf without one.Mind you I surf a sit on top.
I think there would be a few less boardies around if I didnt!
Its the best single bit of kit I have apart from my pfd and helmet.
Got mine from the Cobra dealer.Very strong.
No matter how bad it gets its nice to know that as long as I dont let go of the paddle,the wave which has just knocked me off will pull me up to the surface and out of the soup.
Nothing worse than being 200 yards off shore holding a paddle and trying to swim after your boat.

Craig Addison

Re: Paddle leashes

Post by Craig Addison » Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:14 pm

DaveM wrote:Try this for entertainment, learned on coaching training where leashes were touted as the solution to loose paddles during rescues.

Find someone with a paddle leash, it will be attached to the centre of the shaft for paddling, and get them to drop the paddle over the side. Then give them another paddle and get them to paddle slowly forward. The paddle aligns it's self fore and aft along the boat and soon the front blade dives, the paddle rotates about the leash and the other blade comes over and clubs the paddler over the head.

Hilarious, works almost every time.

Davem
Must try that some time..........now who do I know with a leash.......

Craig.

danielb

Post by danielb » Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:47 am

gary bb wrote:Yes,I wouldn`t surf without one.Mind you I surf a sit on top.
Ah finally someone who surfs on a sit-on-top! Do you mind telling me what sort of sit-on-top you surf on? I've been thinking of getting either a 2nd hand WW Kayak or a sit-on-top for surfing with. I'd be interested to hear if your using a surf specfic sit-on-top or just a general purpose one.

Daniel

gary bb

Post by gary bb » Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:00 pm

Daniel,
I think theirs quite a few of us,just not many who bother to admit it in front of the bearded ones!
I surf a Cobra Strike.Probably the most popular one over in the states and Hawiai.36lbs,single fin,hard rails.Hope you are down south as theres only one dealer in the uk now.www.sit-on-topkayaking.com good for info.
Go bannanas have some short videos on there.They all use leashes,but for some reason known only to haiwians they never wear pfd`s or helmets.Can only think they mustn`t fall off as much as me!
I`m in Newcastle if you fancy a go on mine.
I actually started in a Preception Freedom.14 feet long,56+lbs.
Not a good idea.Why is it the heaviest boat I own is always the only one to land on my head after pearling me?
I wouldnt go down the general purpose route.To slow,heavy and no fins.
Good for something which is now called rockhopping.Sounds so much better than"pottering around the bays and scrapeing over the rocks.

gary bb

Post by gary bb » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:04 am

Hawaii.
Spelling.how hard can it be?
Iam just a panel beater!

danielb

Post by danielb » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:53 am

Ah I'd heard several references to Cobra Strike's for surfing but I've never seen one in a store (online or offline). Do you happen to know what the name of the UK dealer is?

Oh and I'm up in not sot sunny Scotland but thanks for the offer of trying your boat! I do know someone who is out in california atm I wonder if I could get them to bring me one back.....

Daniel

gary bb

Post by gary bb » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:36 pm

Daniel,
www.cobrakayaks.co.uk
I know of one guy on the east coast with one.Jaffa.You might be able to find him on the web site I mentioned above.They`ve got a forum.I did a search for the word Scotland and in amongst the answers were posts from him,so you could pm him.He`s from Angus.
Any more questions just ask.
If you get one I hope you like being unpopular.
The boardies won`t talk to you because you are a kayaker.The kayakers noarmally ask you what the hell your sitting on then,assuming that your obviosly mad for having anything that odd normally start talking to the boardies on preference!(joke) (ish)

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:58 pm

How about this one?

This will get you to the full DIY article.

Mike
Last edited by MikeB on Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nes

Post by Nes » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:49 am

Would it be a good or bad idea to use paddle leashes at other places other that the surf like say, HPP (white water)? I have lost a pair of paddles and have come close to losing another pair a few times and to be honest, I quite fed up about it. Any advice???

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:06 pm

Nes wrote:Would it be a good or bad idea to use paddle leashes at other places other that the surf like say, HPP (white water)? I have lost a pair of paddles and have come close to losing another pair a few times and to be honest, I quite fed up about it. Any advice???
Hmm - received wisdom seems to be that such ideas dont have a place on moving water - entrapment / entanglement risk. Much better to learn to hang onto the paddle at all costs!

Mike.

Sharky

Post by Sharky » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:51 pm

Hey there Mike

Very noble of you to give up a trade secret and a means of earning a living

I'm sure a design of that nature with the right marketing could have made you a fortune
• aimin' to be misbehavin' •

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:01 pm

Indeed - but whats money - - - -

Nes

Post by Nes » Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:39 pm

OK, What's money???

Money is a type of currency used to buy stuff with. It can be seen in metal or paper form. Also useful for aquiring your next boat if used in large amounts.

Your welcome

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:53 pm

Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Chris Bolton

Krab on paddle

Post by Chris Bolton » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:54 pm

Mark,

I reckon that krab on the paddle shaft is a bad idea. Every time you plant your blade it will drop down the shaft and hit your hand. Better with a velcro wrap or a loop of cord in the centre of the shaft and a small krab to clip to it.

Chris

active4seasons

Post by active4seasons » Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:48 pm

4mm shock cord about 1m long. Tie it outside the drip ring on the controlling hand side and have a loop at the other end on a slip knot. When it is not windy you can leave the shock cord wrapped round the paddle and it just is stretched over the tied end. When windy place loop over wrist and tighten slightly. If there was an incident where you felt you needed it undone just pull off wrist. I much prefer to have my paddle within arms reach not tied to the boat.
Total cost approx £1.
Developing Desire for Adventure!