Point 65 - XP18

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
GraemeB

Point 65 - XP18

Post by GraemeB »

Any one have any experience of paddling the the new[ish] XP18 ?

John W

Re: Point 65 - XP18

Post by John W »

I think John Bunyan (johnb) is your man on this one.

JW

paddlenut3

Post by paddlenut3 »

http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/foru ... nt+65+xp18

I've paddled one on flat water, nice boat.

John W

Post by John W »

Oops, please ignore the ref to johnb; I read the post as Epic 18x rather then XP18 - apologies.

UISCEMAC

Post by UISCEMAC »

Have had this boat for about a month now. It has proved suprising to say the least. First off the build quality surpassed expectations. P65 have had their problems with glass boats manufactured in China. I've paddled their previous attempts such as the Whiskey 18. That boat had a world of problems...top heavy...glass thickness not consistent throughout the boat. The hull flexed when you lifted it....this resulted in the bulkheads popping...not good.

P65 obviously found another factory to build their boats as the new Xp18 is a world apart. The glass hull has been vacume bagged resulting in an even hull thickness. The hatches and cockpit are well built with no rough edges anywhere. The gel coat is perfect with no blemishes that I can find. All in all I can't find anything wrong with the manufacturing process...the skeg and box are bomb proof. The rudder was a bit stiff but greasing the tubes with washing up liquid freed it up. The combing around the cockpit is fairly deep...so much so that you would need a crowbar to pop your deck in a hurry. This was solved by putting a short length of garden hose under the front combing. The deck will now eject with one pull.....problem sorted. Have rolled boat.....hatches bone dry...no leaks anywhere including skeg box.

Now to handling; this boat is 18ft in length......but it turns like a river boat. This had me confused until I realised that the hull sits high without a load. This boat is designed to carry gear...heavy gear. Unladen it turns on a dime...even with skeg down. It edges very well, and rolls well also. Speed....yes it's fast....i've clocked it without a running sea at 9.8km. It's also suprisingly stable. The bow is designed to cut through swell without riding over it. This gives you a very dry ride even in heavy sea....have had it in 2.5metre swell and no splash. However unladen in heavy sea it does dance a bit on the crests, as the boat is sitting high on the water which does affect it's overall stability. Load it up and your lower in the water which gives you a less bracing ride. Punching out through surf it's excellent.....however since the boat doesn't go over the top of the wave like a traditional rocker but instead cuts through the wave you will get the full force of the wave on you.....so be prepared...keep paddle low into your chest otherwise you might get it into the teeth.

All in all I'm very happy with this boat. To the traditional "greenlander" kayaker it's an abomination...but I have to say I like it ...A LOT. A lot of Explorer lads have tried it out and it has brought out the green eyed monster in them....so maybe this particular design is here to stay.

johnb

Post by johnb »

It would be interesting to compare the XP18 to the new Rockpool Taran...

geoffm

Post by geoffm »

keep paddle low into your chest otherwise you might get it into the teeth.
better still, keep the paddle tucked down the side of the kayak where it should be!