Pogies and blisters

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
DaveM

Pogies and blisters

Post by DaveM » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:31 am

Paddled late Monday night with a full moon and freezing conditions, so wore my trusty fleece lined Nookie pogies for the first time this winter.

Within half an hour I could feel a blister coming up on my finger, and when I finished after a couple of hours I had a blister 1cm across. Normally I never blister, but it seems the warm damp conditions change that.

Do others have this problem, and are there any better ideas for keeping hands warm? I'm particularly interested in what the northerners do in the winter.

Also, I've discovered that if I pierce the blister quickly the skin usually re-attaches, saving the sore patch when the skin dries and falls off. It's currently looking good if slightly darker than the surrounding skin.

Dave

Douglas Wilcox

gloves

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:18 am

I have been windsurfing for the last 25 winters and kayaking for the last 3. I do not know how many pairs of gloves/pogies I have tried over these years and found them all to be too restrictive. Until recently the best were Gul palmless windsurfing gloves.

However the O'neill FX 2mm glove style number 0317 is absolutely fantastic. Would never use anything else now.

Here we are 10 days ago wind north Force 5-6 air temp before wind chill 4 degrees C. Toasty warm hands!

Douglas

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:36 am

Interesting - like Douglas, I've tried all sorts of gloves and never found one I both liked AND kept all fingers toasty - maybe I should try the O'Neills - -

I started using pogies a couple of years ago as, even with the lighest and most flexible goloves I could find, I found that taking them off once wet was difficult and I found it easier to work cameras, compasses, open things, etc with bare hands anyway.

Never really found a glove that gives me the same feel/control of the paddle though, especially on the smooth shiny shafts of Lendals.

I like the Bomber pogies - see http://www.s106156335.websitehome.co.uk ... eviews.htm .

I DO find I get blisters though - the answer is to paddle more and let a nice callous build up! Also find that by letting some water in every so often, I can cool my hands a bit and that helps.

Mike.

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:57 am

Pogies are for puffs- just remember to dip your hands in the water to make sure that your hands dont warm up. Tony(chilblaned, broken nailed northener)

tpage

Im a puff too!

Post by tpage » Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:38 pm

Anonymous wrote:Pogies are for puffs- just remember to dip your hands in the water to make sure that your hands dont warm up. Tony(chilblaned, broken nailed northener)
Sorry I couldnt -help myself.
I do have a set of palm pogies. They have a fleece lining which I have taken out and thrown away- leaving a loose gortex shell. I very occasionally use these on rivers when it is really cold. Ive only used the shell once on the sea when it was really cold and windy- they keep the wind off well but not the water. I would rather have full use of my hands and suffer a little - but the shell works well and your hands dont overheat. Tony

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:31 pm

I just don't get on with pogies. I take them sea paddling (never on the river any more) but they usually just take up space in my BA pocket.

Suck it up and get used to paddling without circulation in your hands!

I have been wondering why my hands are so dry and stiff these days, I think I'm picking up clues! :D

JIM

Douglas Wilcox

gloves

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:28 pm

MikeB>Never really found a glove that gives me the same feel/control of the paddle though, especially on the smooth shiny shafts of Lendals.

The O'Neill gloves have small sticky dimples all over the palm and fingers. No problem with Lendal shafts.

Douglas :o)

kaspian

gloves

Post by kaspian » Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:35 pm

I have found Crewsaver 2.5mm neoprene gloves work well. It may be obvious, but it's important for them to be the correct size (fit like a glove!). If you get a pair which is even slightly too big, the excess material bunches up under your fingers and stops you feeling the paddle.

Also may be obvious: put your gloves on after you have fitted your spraydeck. I got the fingres of my gloves trapped under the rim of the spraydeck and ripped them try to free them. Silly. I now use a very tight-fitting pair of Nookie Ti. Not as much feel as neoprene, but they're warmer.

I've also tried washing-up gloves! These work surprisingly well and they come in various colours to match your kayak.
Pete Raynor
Shoreham Sea Kayaks
www.shorehamseakayaks.co.uk

Rockrat

Re: Pogies and blisters

Post by Rockrat » Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:32 pm

DaveM wrote:Do others have this problem, and are there any better ideas for keeping hands warm? I'm particularly interested in what the northerners do in the winter.
Hia,

Us northerners wear poggies to keep warm but only when it is really, really cold! I find that i only wear poggies when out touring on flatwater or the sea. On rivers i just cope with bear skin.

I find that poggies, mine are the fleece lined Yak ones, get your hands really warm and sweating so you can't grip the paddle. At this point i take them off until my hands are cold again and then i put them back on. This reduces the chances of blisters - it does seem that blisters form in a warm moist environment. It will be something to do with the increase in friction.
Iain Robinson
rockratrobinson

Douglas Wilcox

cold water cross over equipment from other sports

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:14 pm

What about ice cream head then? Paddling in the surf in winter I am amazed that kayakers seem to limit themselves to Kogg nogs or Chillcheater skull caps.

I much prefer the Sola balaclava from surfing/windsurfing. It also prevents cold water shooting into your ear canal and giving you surfers nodules, I have these, not nice.

Also from the diving world I use 4th element stuff for under dry suits or own its own in spring.

Its worth looking at solutions from other sports.

Douglas

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:28 pm

Any suggestions as to where I can try a pair of the O'neill FX 2mm glove Douglas mentions? I'd like to see if they're better than what we have.

We have some Gul (I think) neoprene gloves with sticky-bits on the palms/fingers, but still my girlfriend gets very cold hands. Runs in her family, apparently.

capsized8

Pogies and blisters

Post by capsized8 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:07 pm

I am currently using a pair of thin neoprene palmless mitts by Palm and find them very handy ;0)
They certainly keep my hands comfortable and as yet no blisters. The real plus is the ability to have full use of your fingers or full hand without having to remove the mitt when dealing with cameras/vhf etc.
peace and good padlin.

Douglas Wilcox

O'neill

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:32 pm

Guest>Any suggestions as to where I can try a pair of the O'neill FX 2mm glove

Try:

http://www.oneilleurope.com/shoplocator/

I got mine in the O'Neill shop in Buchanan Galleries, Glasgow. Lots of shops stock O'neill stuff but you might need to order these gloves with the part number above.

I found Large to be perfect with no bunching on the palm. from the wrist crease nearest the palm to the tip of my middle fonger is 18.5cm.

Douglas :o)

Tim Maud

Post by Tim Maud » Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:59 pm

I used pogies for the first time a hundred years ago. They ended up in the back of my boat after 2 minutes, and my hands froze for the next hundred years.
I then made the Descent Pogues found at:

http://www.palmequipmenteurope.com/acatalog/Pogues.html

Its like having a personal sauna for your hands! There is an internal baffle that stops all the warm air disappearing and you can get your hands in and out with out the use of teeth.

Although designed for whitewater I think they would perform well at sea.

To answer the original question I have not had any experience of blisters whist using them.

Tim Maud

Product Designer

Palm Equipment International Limited

CCL

Post by CCL » Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:29 pm

Hi Tim

at the excel boat show, Palm had some nice new ocean cags on display...

are they availble yet? have you got info on them? (I can't see it on the website)

Claire

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:33 pm

The Yukon?

http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/sea/ ... eviews.htm

They also do the Greenland for less heavy weather...I use one, works well.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Tim Maud

Paddle tops

Post by Tim Maud » Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:56 pm

We have developed two new sea/touring tops to compliment the Yukon and Alaska.
The Aleutian is from our XP150 three layer fabric. Latex wrist cuffs and semi dry neck with volume adjustable wire peaked hood.
The Caspian is from our XP100 2.5 layer fabric. A light weight packable easy use top.
They will be available in August.

Tim Maud

Product Designer

Palm Equipment International Limited

Chris Bolton

Gloves

Post by Chris Bolton » Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:29 pm

I use Musto winter sailing gloves. They have a thin neoprene back and think leather-like palms which grip really well. I originally bought them to use C1 river paddling, where grip is less crucial because of the T grip, but your tend to bash your knuckles on rocks. Howver, they have turned out to work well for sea paddling as well.

The summer gloves have the ends of the fingers missing - the winter ones have full fungers.

Chris

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:38 am

I have a pair of Musto gloves - nicley made and the leather/chamois palm is nice - for me though, not a solution as I found I'd lose feeling in a couple of fingers after a while in cold water.

For me, pogies solve that problem.