Caledonian canal

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Phil K

Caledonian canal

Post by Phil K » Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:29 pm

Has anyone paddled the caledonian canal? How long does it take? Any good web sites for info?

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:29 pm

Loads of people, including my dad and brother.

It usually takes about 3-5 days depending on group and boats.

Usual approach is from Corpach to Inverness to get assistance from the prevailing wind. You are guaranteed easterlies for the duration of your trip but on paper it should be westerlies :)

There is enough wild camping along the route, also several campsites and hostels if you prefer. If wild camping remember - minimal impact, it is quite a busy place and you will struggle to go completely unnoticed!

There should be info on the canal on the Britsh Waterways scotland website. I think you can hire a key that will let you into toilets.

JIM

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:45 am

I paddled the Caledonian Canal last summer over three days, it was a really nice trip, although we could have easily taken another day over it.

Top trip for the journey would be - spend a night at Laggan locks. We camped there on our first night and discovered the 'only floating bar on the canal'. As we were paddling rather rather small boats tents and sleeping bags seemed to take priority over food so by the end of day one I was absolutely starving and totally sick of Mars bars. The landlord of the bar was a truely brilliant guy. Having not been able to meet my request for a packet of crisps he nipped out the back and returned with a plate of fresh homemade cheese and chive scones - on the house. He also sold a very nice pint!

We picked up a British Waterways key from the office in fort william. I can't remember exactly but I don't think it cost very much, or it could have even been free if you could show BCU membership?

Helen

Phil K

Caledonian canal

Post by Phil K » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:38 am

Yes, I like the sound of all the pubs on route! I think we'll buget 5 days and take it easy. Thanks