Reuss

Inland paddling
Pete C.

Reuss

Post by Pete C. » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:15 am

I keep on seeing pictures of the Reuss in Switzerland, and I clearly need to go and paddle it. I haven't seen any English language guidebooks with any info.

Any one know any more? Where it is, when it runs, put-on/take-out? Need ropes or anything? It looks world class.

P.

Chaucer

Reuss

Post by Chaucer » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:46 pm

As far as I can recall, the Reuss flows into Lake Luzern. My brother in law who lives in Luzern says the Reuss is v popular with the locals who inner tube the lower sections all summer. Is this the bit you mean?

Everything you heard about Switzerland being expensive is true, apart from the easyjet flights to Zurich - nearest airport.
Nick Mawer

Pete C.

Reuss

Post by Pete C. » Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:37 pm

I think this is the section I'm talking about http://www.kajak-channel.de/kajakstory36-1.htm - I've seen various pics on the calendar that playboating are selling and somewhere else (can't remember where) recently. It looks like an incredible section of bedrock rapids and crystal clear water.

My geography on southern Switzerland isn't that hot but, considering the Vercazca and other rivers in the Tessin area, I'm seriously thinking of it as either an addition to my Sesia trip this year or possibly an alternative. I presume the water will have run out on most of the snowmelt sections by the time that the Bremgarten rodeo's on (June, I think).

I've tasked a friend with making friends with some Swissies out at the worlds, so I'm getting ready for some local knowledge.

The lower section http://www2.tltc.ttu.edu/schneider/reuss/reuss.htm looks a bit less fun (as in no fun at all)

xccmike

reuss scetions

Post by xccmike » Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:03 pm

reuss
from Andermat -top section is easyish then it sort of goes down a series of steep falls -probaly paddleable into a granite gorge full of slides and boulders which usually has minimal water-and no road after a few km water enters from hydro scheme Goschenen and can be empty or grade VI+/X for ever. lower down it mellows to V then IV but is very pushy and commiting steep big fast water-but water levels do vary. Then it enters a lake. (a See ) after this more sections but easier with harder parts.

Not so far away by Eiger try the weisse (white) Lutscheine (ask to park by helicopter trip place in upper valley) is pretty spot on!! If you are going to Tessin I recommend Calancasca on ay and come back via Diveria (at least 3 sections (one dam release each day) and some stretches on upper Rhone!! --You might even find the rapid ofthe foaming titties
have fun

James F

Post by James F » Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:51 am

I think the Reuss eventually flows into Bremgarten. We did a section about 5 years ago. We guessed the access/egress points. All was going well until it fell off the face of the earth. We had no choice but to abort mission through officially the largest bramble bush in Europe (the size of coventry).

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”