Xtremist (Shaun Baker on 4od)

Inland paddling
rafiki

Xtremist (Shaun Baker on 4od)

Post by rafiki » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:36 pm

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/xtre ... od#2927972 to be viewed at your leisure - Shaun Baker ensuring we remember that he is "the man".

Was it as bad then as it is now...?

PKY

Re: Xtremist (Shaun Baker on 4od)

Post by PKY » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:17 pm

Good to see more paddling hitting the Box! specially with such nice a waterfalls. (which Ant rocked doing it in his Space Cadet)
Just wondering how old young Mr Baker is now? You can see he is so old school with his mental preparations to running a drop, he paddles a 40ft drop thinking he is going to die where as current world record holder Tyler Bradt Runs 186ft waterfall to stomp it with style. yet of course Shaun has no issue with people mentioning he is still "king" of waterfalls.
but still anything paddling related on TV is good.

Barny P

Post by Barny P » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:56 pm

The diver has Red Bull speedos...
Barny P

SwamP

Post by SwamP » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:59 pm

Managed 5 minutes...Holyoaks is on...closer to reality me thinks....dribble, utter dribble!

On a positive note, this looks good! :) SMILE!!!!!
Lets not try to understand each other. Thanks.

jackbay131

Post by jackbay131 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:31 am

I love the fact hes in realy retro kit and bigging it up and safety man is just like *yawn* meh oh the waterfall . I also love the way they dont have the safety man run the drop or hed just show mr baker up , again :P
Maybe hes in such retro kit because his pension doesnt stretch to new kit?
AND HE SWAM!! WTF???
One word, RETIREMENT!
Atleast he makes true big waterfall kayakers look even better (:
Pay cheques , here today , gone tomorrow.

GoldTopo

Post by GoldTopo » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:32 am

Why have a pop at Shaun Baker?
As far as I'm concerned, he IS the man.
His original televised exploits are what inspired me to get into paddling in the first place, he's got this sport so much coverage, but how many other whitewater paddlers have you seen on mainstream telly?
What would be the point of just casually throwing yourself over a waterfall & making it look easy? Things get glammed up a bit on telly, that's what sells.
I think it's jealousy.

SwamP

Post by SwamP » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:05 am

I am jealous that I'm not being paid to paddle at a sub-standard level in a beautiful country...oh wait, been there done that, ate pasta.

It is very positive that he got you into the sport! His team are responsible for getting a lot of paddlers into the sport...however that doesn't change the fact that this specific production is, as mentioned, utter tosh. This isn't a slag off SB thread, I'm just replying to the production in question...Holyoaks was better...even if it did result in me vomitting my brains out.

chyavan

Post by chyavan » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:37 pm

I love the fact hes in realy retro kit and bigging it up and safety man is just like *yawn* meh oh the waterfall . I also love the way they dont have the safety man run the drop or hed just show mr baker up , again :P
Maybe hes in such retro kit because his pension doesnt stretch to new kit?
AND HE SWAM!! WTF???
One word, RETIREMENT!
Atleast he makes true big waterfall kayakers look even better (:
I looked and the program was first screened in October 2003 so its not soo retro kit

but maybe slightly

Joe Pineapples

Post by Joe Pineapples » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:07 pm

I really dont know why everyone has to jump on the band wagon and have a pop at Shaun , he ran that back in 2003 , pretty good back then , bloody ballsy even now
He is an excellent paddler , has paddled things most paddlers would love to be able to , he made a few good videos , despite what we think of them now.
Waterfall Kayak by Alun Hughes , starring Shaun and his mates was one of the ground breaking CH4 series on outdoor sports , trying to get people aware of what was happening in the Uk , hes paddled first descents all over etc , etc , etc

lets give him a little respect for what he has done well , not loads of diss for what he maybe shouldnt have done .

but then , as they say in Wales " you can make love to 100 women but you will always be remembered for that one sheep " .

;-) Mark
Live your dreams , do not dream your life ......

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:17 pm

Back then Shaun held the world record for paddling waterfalls. I has a whole string of first decents on steep Welsh rivers and falls. Just remember, back then no-one else wanted to do what he was doing even if others have followed suit since.

enb

Post by enb » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:54 pm

It did kind of take away the dramatic impact of what they where trying potray with Ant just seemingly bimbling down the drop in standard playboating gear and next to Shaun looking all geared up for something epic. Its still a meaty fall and no one can take away from Shaun all the progression he has made in the sport that others have since followed whether that be running un-run drops etc or leading the way in playboating and shaping the way things are now, back in the day when him and Ant where squashing the decks of spuds and blitzing the competition pulling endless cartwheels at Hurley Rodeo.

Barny P

Post by Barny P » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:58 pm

Did he run Gullfoss?

If he did he deserves some serius respect, ive been and it scared me just looking.
Barny P

Westy

Post by Westy » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:00 pm

I started watching the programme, but it seemed to give way to free diving?

enb

Post by enb » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:08 pm

Wasnt it Thjófafoss (Watefall of thieves) that shaun baker nearly drowned on taking a heros line in the middle to get better camera angles?? he was down for something like 40secs, that must have seemed forever for him and the crew he had with him.

Myles

Post by Myles » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:17 pm

I agree with the linked program not being particularly great.
I remember watching a film about Iceland at the G17 weekend a couple of years back. I can't remember the name but it was about Steve Fisher and co going out to Iceland to run various waterfalls. One thing they focused on, was the fact that no one had run Aldeyerfoss since Shaun Baker did in the 1990s.
All three of the guys in the film ended up running the fall but with varying degrees of success.

I found a report about it here

PKY

Post by PKY » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:48 pm

I didn't realize it was a program first run in 2003, I thought it was something recent that he was involved in putting together.

chyavan

Post by chyavan » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:58 pm

I agree with the linked program not being particularly great.
I remember watching a film about Iceland at the G17 weekend a couple of years back. I can't remember the name but it was about Steve Fisher and co going out to Iceland to run various waterfalls. One thing they focused on, was the fact that no one had run Aldeyerfoss since Shaun Baker did in the 1990s.
All three of the guys in the film ended up running the fall but with varying degrees of success.

I found a report about it here

To be fair Shaun Baker has made people more aware about WW kayaking and for the people given him stick, give it a rest he may be a dick but the guys got some balls !

jackbay131

Post by jackbay131 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:10 pm

Yeh i also didnt realise that it was run in 2003 . I guess its he does deserve respect my rant was kinda inspired by safety man ant being so overlooked and undervalued, it kinda represents that theres people that can do it better ,( me not being on for sure xD) and they just dont get the due respect or media coverage but hey im just a whippersnapper what do i know (:
Appologies for being a bit gung ho and ignorant.
Pay cheques , here today , gone tomorrow.

rich gunton

Post by rich gunton » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:22 pm

Shaun is still making a living from boating thats amazing, The Tv company will push him to hype it up to make the programme whatch able for millions of people who know nothing about kayaking, like they do for many other programmes on the TV. Whatch it, laugh at the hype dont take it too seriously its not directed at, kayakers the audance is much larger than us. Take this approach to most TV its not reality. Poeple can accuse him of selling out, but everytime we buy something Branded with a logo and walk arround with it we sell for the company. Same thing.

SwamP

Post by SwamP » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:12 pm

enb wrote:Wasnt it Thjófafoss (Watefall of thieves) that shaun baker nearly drowned on taking a heros line in the middle to get better camera angles?? he was down for something like 40secs, that must have seemed forever for him and the crew he had with him.
He's my hero because he's paddled with two of my only kayaking heros on the same day...what a lucky guy!

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:49 am

http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

frankthesurf

Post by frankthesurf » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:34 am

I remember Shaun coming up to North Wales and pissing off the locals by bagging loads of stuff that they'd just always looked at. Swallow Falls, Town fall in Betws Traws Gorge, Llanberis waterfalls. He set the standard.
He was really good at selling himself and even produced a 'brochure' as his CV.
I used to have a video of him running the stuff but unfortunately went amiss. I think it was left in the bar at Fuzzi's sport camp tirol Austria.
I hope one dat it surfaces......PUN INTENDED