Kyles of Bute: still too early to pack gear away for winter.

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Douglas Wilcox

Kyles of Bute: still too early to pack gear away for winter.

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:45 pm

Many people may think I only venture out in full sunshine, however, lucky though I am with the weather, sometimes it just does not work out like that.

Last Sunday's forecast:

>Temp max/min - 11/9 degrees C
>Wind speed – F5-6
>Wind direction - W
>Max gust in knots - 38 becoming 40

We decided not to risk the open sea but found reasonable shelter and even a surprisingly good tidal race (springs against the wind kicked it up a bit).

Here are some photos of the more sheltered bits:

Douglas:o)
Last edited by Douglas Wilcox on Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:26 pm

Douglas...thanks for sharing.

Your second photo does something that you don't (I feel, anyway) often do - focus in on personalities and people.

I look at that pic and right away want to know more about them.

So...who are they, please?
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Douglas Wilcox

Paddling friends!

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:48 pm

Hi Mark,
You are absolutely right, I do have a lot of photos of paddling friends but I have tended not to put them on this or my own website.

There was just something about this picture,
That showed sea kayaking off to good advantage, a group of friends enjoying themselves, despite pretty poor weather!

The group consists of my daughter Jennifer who works in a Glasgow financial Institution but is hoping to return to art school. She likes mountain biking and snowboarding. Billy a GP from Ayrshire who is also a keen WW paddler (but I have noticed him coming on trips when its raining and the rivers are full!). Mair a teacher from Ayrshire who has been sea kayaking since the 80's and is now on her 2nd Nordkapp. David a vet from Ayrshire. He was a singlehanded vet until recently and although he started paddling in the 60's has just taken it up again since he got a partner. I used to windsurf with David at Ayr in the early 80's.

My other paddling friends include:

My wife Alison who is also a doctor in the genetics department:

Mike who is Professor in the genetics dept and also a very keen WW paddler. Mike's wife Rachel and daughter Emily also come on some of our trips.

Alan from Cleveland works in the steel industry and comes up for our longer camping trips. Angela came with Alan on our Arisaig camping trip back in August.

Richard from Ayrshire who has just set up his own kayak and outdoor business. Richard does not like this photo as he was really happy, it's just he was squinting into the low sun.

All in all I count myself very lucky to be able to paddle with so many family and friends. Sea kayaking does seem to attract such nice people!

Douglas :o)

Mark R

Re: Paddling friends!

Post by Mark R » Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:01 pm

Douglas Wilcox wrote:All in all I count myself very lucky to be able to paddle with so many family and friends. Sea kayaking does seem to attract such nice people!
...and it also attracts some pretty odd flotsam and jetsam of humanity too, likewise on the rivers. But the beauty of it is, on the river or sea no one really cares. Which is lucky for me.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Zoe Newsam

Re: Paddling friends!

Post by Zoe Newsam » Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:16 am

Would that person who doesn't like his photo be Richard Cree by any chance...?

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:35 pm

Indeed.

jayno55

Post by jayno55 » Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:20 pm

Douglas

As a newbie to this list I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed looking through your excellent photos, admiring the various kayaks, and hearing a little about the people in them. As somebody said, it is very refreshing to see this kind of personalisation on a bulletin board. Thanks.

I notice you live in Glasgow, and you comment that in this trip out you all decided to avoid the open sea. I'm wondering where the actual paddling was taking place? Looks rather nice location.

Jayno

Chris Bolton

My guess

Post by Chris Bolton » Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:57 pm

I don't live in Glasgow, but I did once.

Were you in the Kyles of Bute, Douglas?

Chris

Jim

Post by Jim » Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:19 am

I can see where you are coming from Chris, but if that's the Kyles of Bute I totally missed the lighthouse when I was there in June (entirely possible given the time I had available for the circumnavigation and return to the mainland).

I need to do more sea paddling!

JIM

Douglas Wilcox

Kyles of Bute

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:59 pm

Yes we were in the Kyles of Bute. It was an interesting paddle, the spring tide was going through the channel at the Burnt Islands at 7Km/hr. The lighthouse is at the little channel behind Eilean Dubh.
Douglas

Jim

Yep, not on my route :)

Post by Jim » Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:36 pm

We rounded Buttock Point within, well virtually arms length of the shore! In fact I think we broke out at the point and probably did touch the rocks :)

From there we paddled through the burnt isles fairly quickly (several photos, similar to others of yours), built up speed past the ferry and and cruised at high speed to pretty well Ardmaleish point having set off from Dunagoil bay that morning. Not the fastest trip (I believe it is annually circumnavigated in a day by lots of SCA types) but good going for a very mixed group and considering my shoulder wasn't 100% :)

JIM

Gavin74

Post by Gavin74 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:28 pm

For anyone who fancies it, the Colintraive Hotel (100 yard from the ferry) makes for a great base in this area.

There website is a bit iffy, but the hotel has new owners and its a real gem.

http://www.colglen.org.uk/colhotel/