Seals - where do they club together?

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Mark R

Seals - where do they club together?

Post by Mark R » Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:08 pm

I have never once seen a seal on the English Coast, apart from the Scillies. I think I once heard some wailing whilst passing Lizard Point offshore, but that's it.

Anyone seen any? Anyone know the location of any established colonies, especially on the south coast?

Cheers,
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

JohnF

Post by JohnF » Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:29 pm

Plenty in the Wash and N Norfolk Coast

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:23 pm

The Thames at Chiswick. Honestly.

Douglas Wilcox

seals

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:14 pm

Right here on this forum!

Douglas :o)

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:59 pm

Farnes! Lots of them.

Chris Bolton

Seals - Dee Estuary

Post by Chris Bolton » Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:57 pm

Quite a big colony near the mouth of the Dee, near Hilbre Island

Chris

capsized8

Seals

Post by capsized8 » Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:53 pm

There are about 25 at the norhern end of Puffin Island just off Ynys Mon (Anglesey). A number of them look as if they are radio controlled, being fitted with radio tracking devices.
A little care is needed here. Some of the seals try to get onto passing kayaks with some success.

A good test for your braces!!
peace and good padlin.

Hairy Pat

Post by Hairy Pat » Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:22 pm

There was one on the headland called Hopes Nose near torquay. He was that tame he would take Mackeral out of the anglers hands. One of the locals told us he had been there for over a year, the anglers enjoyed feeding him so it was an easy form of scoff for him.

Pat

Douglas Wilcox

fishermen's friends.

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:04 am

Fishermen are not always so well disposed to seals.

Andre the Loch Lomond Seal

Blasket slaughter

Douglas

Bertie..

Post by Bertie.. » Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:47 am

Mark,

I've been told there are some seals living in the quieter parts of Poole Harbour, though can't confirm it myself,

Bertie..

Hairy Pat

Post by Hairy Pat » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:54 pm

Hi Douglas

Game fishermen and commercial fishermen are luckily not representative of the vast majority of anglers.

Pat

Tony B

Seals

Post by Tony B » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:54 pm

I've seen a few in the bay on the far side of Ramsey Island. Also saw a solo paddler land in the bay at the time.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:36 pm

All useful replies so far, thanks...

...but there seems to be some confusion as to the whereabouts of that little country called England.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Mira Marra

attracting seals

Post by Mira Marra » Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:06 pm

Mark

I recently learnt a whistle tune called "The fishermans song for attracting seals"!

Perhaps it would help? Although if I played it, it may have the opposite effect (i.e. the same effect it has on humans within 100 metres!)

Paul

Chris Bolton

Seals in England

Post by Chris Bolton » Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:21 pm

Richard Seaby

Post by Richard Seaby » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:08 am

Hi Mark

I have seen one in poole harbour, keyhaven, lymington and dibden bay!
the one in dibden was basking on one of the half sunk old barges. There is also said to be a seal that lives at bucklers hard, but I havent seen it. All the sightings have been in the last 2-3 years.

I am waiting for a 100 strong colony to develop on that island in the mouth of yarmouth harbour....

Otherwise when not paddling I have seen plenty off the lizard when walking the cliffs a few years ago.

couple of websites
http://www.glaucus.org.uk/seals1.htm
or
http://www.pinnipeds.org/main.htm

RossC

Post by RossC » Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:22 am

Around Falmouth we often get tagged by single seals around Pendennis Point and around St Anthony Head. Quite regularly see seals whilst surfing at Godrevy - there are rocks at Godrevy point where you are almost guaranteed to spot some if you clamber down from the coast path. If you are being more adventurous I have seen a lot of seals on the rocks around Longships.

Bod

Seals

Post by Bod » Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:30 pm

Mark

Have seen them when paddling out of the Dart Estuary. Last year saw one sleeping on a pontoon near the naval college above Dartmouth.

Bod

greensurfer

on your doorstep

Post by greensurfer » Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:57 pm

I've seen one in Kimmeridge Bay a few years back.

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:50 pm

Seals in the shire eh?

I'm pretty sure I saw one at Ainsdale this summer (just north of Liverpool), and the presence of the seal sanctury at Gweek in Cornwall is a clue that there are seals around there......
There is also a photo of one in the NE in Nick Doll's guide if I recall.

JIM

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:24 pm

Richard Seaby wrote:I am waiting for a 100 strong colony to develop on that island in the mouth of yarmouth harbour....
Hmm, they might find the hundreds of moored yachts and the fixed barbeques offputting...

From what I'm reading so far in this thread, I should be tripping over seals every time I carry my boat to water! I guess I'd better open my eyes more. Or perhaps, consider other sources for my wife's christmas present handbag.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

nicbob

Post by nicbob » Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:06 pm

I've seen a few near Land's End whilst I should have been watching a production at the open air Minack Theatre...maybe they liked Aladdin, none of 'em had tickets though.
SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!

Ken R

Post by Ken R » Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:57 pm

I agree with Farnes but the place to go is the Monarch Islands (Heisker) in the Outer Hebredes - I could not believe there could be so many in one place. We were surrounded by 100+.

Ken

Dick Best

Seals

Post by Dick Best » Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:50 pm

Mark,

Come up to Kent one weekend and we'll find seals. The best place here is the Swale estuary, but we frequently see them in the Medway too. They like to lie around on the sand and mudbanks, sometimes 6-8 or more together, waiting till the last minute as the tide floods to relaunch themselves. We have also met them while we were fishing, which we took to mean we were in the right place. We have tried whistling tunes to them, but they don't seem to appreciate our efforts. I get closest to them when I'm on my own, drifting past them with the tide.

My last paddle was last Saturday afternoon, around low tide, and I saw 8 all together, mostly in 2's. That was in the east Swale. Let me know if you'd like to visit!

Richard

Fanny Better

Re: Seals

Post by Fanny Better » Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:54 pm

Dick Best wrote:Mark,

My last paddle was last Saturday afternoon, around low tide, and I saw 8 all together, mostly in 2's. That was in the east Swale. Let me know if you'd like to visit!
I'm surprised they're not forced back to where they came from like asylum seekers in Hartlepool Monkey hanger stylee!

Dick Best

Monkeys

Post by Dick Best » Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:08 pm

Hmmm.... yes.... I suppose so.

Mark R

Re: Seals

Post by Mark R » Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:34 pm

Fanny Better wrote:I'm surprised they're not forced back to where they came from
It's always an honour to get a fly-past from the BNP sea kayaking display team...

Amazed that there are east coast seals. In my entire life I've only ever been east of Westminster to catch ferries. What's the paddling like along the coast from the Thames estuary up to Lincolnshire?
Last edited by Mark R on Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Dick Best

seals etc

Post by Dick Best » Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:15 pm

I've paddled very little along that coast, just a few short trips from Mersea Island. Very interesting saltmarsh and estuary paddling, if you like that kind of thing (which I do!). I've seen seals there too, but not as many as in north Kent. You have to adjust to the mud environment, and plan your landings at strategic locations or around high tide. For me, the wildlife numbers alone make it worthwhile, especially in winter with the enormous flocks of wildfowl and waders. The marshes are very quiet and secluded, making them one of the few places in the southeast that you can really get away from everyone. They are an acquired taste, which I prefer to places like the Solent where the traffic level feels more oppressive...

Richard