Barbon Beck

North of the Severn drainage, west of the Pennines
Jim Pullen

Barbon Beck

Post by Jim Pullen »

Last edited by Jim Pullen on Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Done any NE/NW rivers not on the site? PM me!

ewen fraser

barbon beck

Post by ewen fraser »

had similar experience in last drop in January , I needed pulling out and it took 40 mins to get my boat out (thought I was going to have to abandon it - if just endlessly cartwheeled itself in the hole)

I thought the upper half was great by the way ; and the lower half crap with all the tress/fences ( and deceptively sticky slot)
ewen

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen »

Sounds very similar to my experience! I only got out by tucking up into a ball and pushing off from the bottom. The boat stayed in for ages and took a good hammering! We eventually got it out with a crab gaffer-taped to a long stick attached to a throwline - even then it took two hauling on the rope before it would release it! It looks like a gerbil has been nibbling on both ends!

I thought I'd lost my paddles, but found them later that day when the river had dropped a bit. I did lose my kit bag - it's yellow and doesn't contain much apart from a sling, multitool and some jaffa cakes. I guess its floated off down the Lune and maybe out to sea by now, but if anyone spots it, let me know!

The sheep fences were annoying, but a lot had washed away when we ran it, and those that hadn't could be dodged or pushed past.

It was definitely a fun run and worth it despite everything!

callwild

Post by callwild »

Sounds like this last fall needs a better warning in the next edition of the guide. Grade?
Stuart Miller

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen »

Difficult to say! The guy in front of me cleared it without bother. I'd say 4, but with consequences!
I've submitted a full guide into the site, but guess it'll be a while before it makes an appearance!

Jim Pullen

BARBON BECK

Post by Jim Pullen »

Tom W

Re: BARBON BECK

Post by Tom W »

Trees still a major problem. There are three in / directly below the roosters tail rapid that leads into Witches Cauldron, and then one in Witches Cauldron itself. Shame. Will require some serious attention, not just a pruning saw.

mole

Post by mole »

Barbon beck today after running away from a lot of rivers that were out of their box's. There is currently a tree across the flow after the first 4M drop above the witches cauldron and 2 long spars in the cauldron itself, most other stuff was clear. Anyone not fancying the big seal launch can just follow the path a bit further down the left and get in at river level which saves faffing.
Sometimes it's just too much effor......aughhh

Ralph Graves

Post by Ralph Graves »

Large slimy tree trunk also lodged in the slot/cauldron. I'd like it all shifted, but not experienced with such things. I can provide an extra set of hands for hauling on ropes if anyone fancies the walk up from the church bridge of an evening.

Return to “England - Northwest”