Welsh sea paddling suggestions

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
MikeB

Welsh sea paddling suggestions

Post by MikeB » Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:50 pm

Assuming for a moment that those of us in the far and frozen wastes of Bonny Scotland were to venture in the general direction of "Wales" for a few days, where should we go to experience Welsh sea paddling??

I'm thinking "touring/camping" but also quite fancy experiencing some of those races I keep hearing about.

Regs, Mike.

Hairy Pat

Welsh Sea Paddles

Post by Hairy Pat » Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:03 am

Hi Mike

St Davids area in Dyfed, Silver bay and Rhoscolyn area of Anglesey, or Abersoch and Aberdaron area of the Lleyn Peninsula in Gwynedd, they all offer good seakayak paddling, but have the advantage of serving up some good surfing and rock hopping for the plastic ww boats.

Pat

Jonathan

Wild Wales

Post by Jonathan » Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:33 pm

Mike, if you're thinking of wild-camping you might want to double check practicalities.

I don't know Wales well but from what I hear wild-camping is something much more easily done in Scotland than in the rest of the UK where landowners are less tolerant.

If you don't mind paying, two agreeable Anglesey campsites that aren't normally crowded or packed by caravanners are the bunkhouse at Rhoscolyn http://www.outdooralternative.org/ and ASSC http://www.assc.org.uk/pages/about.htm.

Both, however, are a longer carry from the sea than you might wish.

willsc1

Wild Wales

Post by willsc1 » Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:52 pm

Hi Mike

Paddling in Wales can definitely have it's moments. I live on Anglesey and still find I have not got bored with paddling ion my 'doorstep' yet.

A few ideas :

The trip for Aberdaron (on the end of the Lleyn peninsula) to Bardsey Island is worthwhile. Bardsey contains a few houses, lighthouse, lots of seals, no electricity etc. The crossing of Bardsey Sound (about 50-60 mins) needs some good planning with 6kt tides on springs but you can pick the tide up, get to the island to have lunch and then continue up the north Lleyn coast. Recommend getting out at Porth Oer (Whistling Sands - they squeek more than whistle!) - from there you can jog back to Aberdaron for the car ( if you have no shuttle). Don't paddle the sound in bad weather!

Anglesey Circumnavigation as a whole makes a satisfying trip, can be done in about 14hrs paddling, though makes a much more enjoyable trip in 3-4 days. Plenty of 'quiet' beaches to sleep on.

Anglesey north coast has quite an impressive coastline, 6kt tides and a number of overfalls/tide races.

Skerries - off lying rocky islands from North Anglesey - can paddle with ebb tide from Cemlyn Bay - visit island (Lighthouse, sheltered lagoon, surfable tide race, Puffins, Seals, Terns - by the millions!), have lunch and return to Cemlyn on flood tide.

The Stacks - South & North Stacks on North West Anglesey, committing trip but impressive scenery. Large overfalls on springs and plenty of sea birds in summer.

Penrhyn Mawr - S of South Stack - large overfall/race with eddies to return to waves.

Puffin Island - less than a mile off-shore but with a large colony of veryfriendly seals in the summer. Usually will have a few 'race' your boat as you paddle along the island and are VERY inquisitive as a whole.

Skomer Island 'near' St Davids - nature reserve with plenty of Puffins in the summer. Also The Bitches - not too far away for some good bouncy stuff and surfable waves.

And so it goes on...

If you would like any info I can be contacted via : willsbits2003@yahoo.co.uk

Hope this helps

JW

adrian j pullin

Welsh sea paddling

Post by adrian j pullin » Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:29 pm

Agree with the list above.

Add: Llandudno. Launch at the big eastern beach, paddle round the great orm then walk back through town to get the car.

Tuddwalls, south of Llyn peninsula. Nice paddle round the islands. Can get very tricky. We had a significant incident here with wind against tide.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:46 pm

Thanks all, for suggestions so far! Apprecaited.

Adrian - is there anything "to be learned" from the experience you mention? If you felt a write-up coming on (perhaps with suitable annonynimity for those involved if necessary) - - - -

Regs, Mike.

yorkibob

North Wales

Post by yorkibob » Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:55 pm

Any suggestions for 'new starters' in the sport of sea kayaking in North Wales places to launch from and places to paddle to in relative safety?
thaks - Bob

Craig Addison

Post by Craig Addison » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:11 pm

How about a circumnav of Anglesey? Porth Oer or Aberdaron (depending on tide etc.) to Bardsey Island is another good trip, as is The Skerries off anglesey.

Obviously to avoid any epics, check tides etc. before starting out, Bardsey sound & the Tripods off the Lleyn Peninsula can be pretty hairy indeed.

Craig.

Anglesey

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:15 pm

Cheers Craig,
All contributions very welcome

Bob

Sharky

Post by Sharky » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:25 pm

I always think that the east coast of Anglesey gets a bit of a rough deal

Puffin Island, Moelfre, Point Linas - all good places to paddle both for short trips and extended stuff.

I know the tide races and overfalls around the Stacks and Rhoscolyn are big and butch but there's plenty of fun to be had around Middle Mouse or even Llandwyn Island
• aimin' to be misbehavin' •

JR

Post by JR » Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:31 pm

One year into this Sea Kayaking lark so can someone please inform why there seems to be only a few limited areas around the UK mentioned. Scotland, Anglesey, South Coast and sometimes the Farne Islands. I've done most of my paddling on the East Coast around Whitby with one trip to the Farne Islands. The club on the Humber does'nt seem to exist anymore, least while their website was a year out of date and is now defunct.

How about South Wales? or the Yorkshire East Coast? or perhaps am I missing other clubs without web sites?

Dave Thomas

Post by Dave Thomas » Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:55 pm

There are certainly 'hotspots, and more substantial areas, elsewhere - assuming that, lik e,most sea paddlers, you are looking for interesting scenery and possibly 'interesting' water as well. Not an exhaustive list, but as a quick and not particulalry considered reaction:

around Flamborough Head is superb for a day trip.

Pembrokeshire/Cardiganshire - superb scenery, plenty of 'interesting' tidal conditions, and shelter available from most directions of weather

Devon & Cornwall - ditto.

Gower - not a large area, but nice scenery.

Others will have there own preferences!

Dave Thomas

Zoe Newsam

Post by Zoe Newsam » Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:31 pm

Forgive me if this is a dim reply, but:

yorkibob wrote:
Any suggestions for 'new starters' in the sport of sea kayaking in North Wales places to launch from and places to paddle to in relative safety?
Craig Addison wrote:
How about a circumnav of Anglesey?
I assume, Craig, you weren't replying to the above request but to the original question??? Having just done a circumnav of Anglesey at Easter, I would definitely not reccommend it as a beginners trip in anything other than ideal conditions, and even then it needs some very intricate tidal planning!

Treaddur Bay area or Rhosclyn are good for beginners as long as the swell is not too big... Like anywhere, I think it depends on the conditions where's best for beginners.

Zoe

atakd

Re: North Wales

Post by atakd » Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:17 am

yorkibob wrote:Any suggestions for 'new starters' in the sport of sea kayaking in North Wales places to launch from and places to paddle to in relative safety?
thaks - Bob
You might try Conwy Estuary, launching at Deganwy with the option to go up river but beware V. strong tides. Sheltered water in the Menai straights, launch at Beaumaris, Bangor , Caernarfon but again fast tides - avoid swellies for a peaceful passage. The advantage of these locations is that you are never more than 500M from land and there will not be big seas. You do need to FULLY understand tides and how they will effect conditions though.
Andy

MATS17

Re: Welsh sea paddling suggestions

Post by MATS17 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:24 pm

Anglesey - Cemlyn Beach near Cemaes. Good spot for overnighting as well in a van etc. Top spot. Ignore local signs - nobody takes any notice about anything and it's a remote spot anyway. parking ok even for a 25' van.....