Mapping Software for a Mac?

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Simon Willis

Mapping Software for a Mac?

Post by Simon Willis » Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:48 pm

Anyone have experience using mapping software (ie Memory Map, Anquet) on a Macintosh computer rather than a PC?

It has been suggested to me that it MIGHT work with a PC emulation programme like Virtual PC. But that costs £100+, for something which MIGHT work, but equally, might not.

Thanks
simon

Douglas Wilcox

Mac PC emulators

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:05 pm

Hi Simon,

My brother had no success with Mac OS10.2, Bochs 2.1.1 emulator and Anquet 1.28 on a G5 Mac. He got a 1.6Ghz PC off ebay for £67! Maybe thats the way to go,

Douglas :o)

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:24 pm

I haven't used any mapping software on a mac, but I have been using GPSy which is a Mac application that can do an awful lot with GPS and maps (even on my ancient 68k macs). Only thing I haven't sussed out is how to display a track from the GPS on the map, which I gather from another post is your main purpose. I have scanned and calibrated maps and charts and built up waypoint files from them with it. Anyway the website is http://www.gpsy.com and has hundreds of links that you might find useful.

JIM

Jim

GPSy tracks

Post by Jim » Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:39 pm

To clarify the above, I'm sure I can display tracks by downloading them from the GPS and then uploading with the appropriate map open, only I don't have many appropriate maps so haven't got round to trying this yet.

JIM

kayaknorway

Post by kayaknorway » Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:41 pm

I use Virtual PC on a G3 iBook and a G4 desktop, and it works just fine. A bit slower than the real thing, but okay. The only reason i use Virtual PC is actually the Garmin software for my GPS. It can be a little tricky setting it all up to recognize your GPS in the beginning, but once you've figured it out it's fine.

dag

willsc1

MApping Software

Post by willsc1 » Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:55 am

I use GPS Trackmaker, the website is http://www.gpstm.com

It is not mapping software as such but is useful for entering wpts, displaying tracks and tracklogs etc. Maps can be 'scanned in' and the the wpts, tracks etc superimposed. It is very easy to use and a rather useful piece of software and best of all it is FREE! Unfortunately it is PC based, I'm not sure if there is a mac version.

JW

kayaknorway

Post by kayaknorway » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:22 am

I should add that I in addition to Virtual PC I use MacGPS Pro, which is made for the Mac. MacGPS Pro works with Garmin and Magellan GPS receivers for transferring waypoints, routes and tracklogs.

You can import (with automatic calibration) your nautical charts in NOS/GEO and BSB versions 1, 2, and 3 format, as well as import OziExplorer ".MAP" georeference files for automatic calibration.

It's USD 40, but the author keeps it up to date with continuous improvements and free upgrades.

I tend to use Virtual PC, as in previous versions of MacGPS Pro I had problems calibrating the maps. Probably because of my lack of patience. Supposedly it's a lot easier in version 5, but I haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

But you should check it out: http://www.macgpspro.com/

dag

Simon Willis

This sounds hopeful....

Post by Simon Willis » Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:06 pm

... can I check.

You obviously run the mapping software through Virtual PC. But you run the Mac version of GPSPro (I don't even know if there's a PC version).

So does the GPS programme "talk" to the Mapping programme, when one runs in a Mac environment the other in a virtual PC environment?

Thanks very much for taking the time to explain this, because this really is most helpful.
S

kayaknorway

Virtual PC and MacGPS PRO

Post by kayaknorway » Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:36 pm

No, the programs don't talk to each other - unfortunately. They do pretty much the same thing, as far as I can tell. So it really doesn't make any sense to use both.

The advantage of using Virtual PC is that I can use the maps installed on my GPS. I can't use those in MacGPS PRO. In MacGPS PRO I have to scan my sea maps and then import them into the program before it makes much sense. The advantage of MacGPS PRO is that my paper maps are much more detailed than the GPS maps. From there on the two programs seem to be doing the same thing. Both talk to my GPS and I upload and download planned trips, waypoints and tracklogs, etc.

As I said in my other post, I have ended up mostly using Virtual PC. It seems to make sense if you have a Garmin with the map feature.

dag