Rockhopper update #2 in the not so clean Solway

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Douglas Wilcox

Rockhopper update #2 in the not so clean Solway

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:50 pm

With all the talk of Lundy I thought I had better take the Rockhopper out for another test. This time I managed to borrow one so two of us paddled Rockhoppers. Last time my daughter was in a Quest so I felt I had an excuse to fall behind and did not try to keep up. This time, I had no excuse and boy, was it hard work. We headed out into the flood tide and a light 2 to 3 wind with a 1 foot swell. Jennifer was looking for exercise and I ended up paddling the rockhopper faster than its optimum. I got well exercised too.

We did a round trip of 11km round four islands in the Solway, Ardwall, Barlocco and the two Murray's isles.

As I said in update #1 I think this (about 10km) is the optimum distance for Rockhopping.

Ideal Rockhopping coast

Barlocco Isle

Image I had never seen so much driftwood ev ... .jpg[/img]

In conclusion, I thouroughly enjoyed my 11km in the Rockhopper, but once you are forced to paddle it continueously hard, eg adverse tide, wind or too fast daughter then I would not want to paddle it any further. I am not sure if I will ever get to Lundy under my own steam, but if I do it will be in my Quest!

Douglas :o)

PS please excuse lack of colourful photos, unlike Mark, we had mist and low cloud.

Steve B

Post by Steve B » Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:22 am

Thanks for the additional input Douglas, much appreciated.
Steve Balcombe

tpage

RH340

Post by tpage » Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:09 am

I picked up a rockhopper on monday night and went for a paddle with my wife yesterday afternoon, from Croy to Carrick bay (South Ayrshire) and back. She's only been out once before and loved the rockhopper, finding it very stable and manouverable. The wind was onshore at least F3, with fairly large swell- I could only persuade her to give me a shot for 10 minutes. Its a reallly interesting boat, it actally seems to take off when paddled hard into oncoming waves, cant wait to get it out is some big seas.. Tony

RichardCree

rh340

Post by RichardCree » Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:19 am

Hi Tony, glad you liked it, you will need another one now!