River Aire - Castleford Weir

North of the Trent drainage, flowing to the North Sea
Jim Pullen

River Aire - Castleford Weir

Post by Jim Pullen » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:52 am

Last edited by Mark R on Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Done any NE/NW rivers not on the site? PM me!

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:44 pm

It's been brought to my attention that this guide may not actually refer to the place on the Aire usually known as the "Aire Wave."

As I've never paddled it, can someone shed more light on this? If it is a different playspot, can someone send me a guide to the actual Aire Wave, (preferably with pictures) and I'll get this rewritten?
Last edited by Jim Pullen on Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Debaser

Post by Debaser » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:45 pm

I sent the following PM to Jim Pullen. Like I say, I'm not an expert, but can anyone confirm the location of the Aire Wave and any other play features on the Aire?
I'm not an expert but looking at the description of the location of the Aire Wave given (essentially just outside Cas) I think this might be the wrong one?

Usually the location is given as near Woodlesford or Lemonroyd, but this description would seem to put it near the new footbridge in Cas about 3 miles away, with the location of a mill opposite and a housing estate adjacent the site.

From Google Earth;

Described location: 53° 43' 42.1" N, 1° 21' 9" W
Actual: 53° 44' 54" N, 1° 25' 21" W ??

Or maybe there's a couple of Aire Waves, which could be good news.
"Summat funny and insightful here..."

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:07 pm

Nick, 18/11/08 wrote:This weir described is not the aire wave, the airewave is not on the navigation but is next to lemonroyd locks on tyhe river aire at the end of fleet lane , the weir described is the one in castleford centre which was on the channel 4 show kevin Mlclouds big town plan and has a new foot bridge over it. If you look up "the airewave" on you tube there is a video which shows a big glassy wave i also have pictures of it sent by someone in a ukriversguidebook forum i was talking to as we both live pretty near i live a mile or 2 away in swillington ( i can send these in if you like) . there has been lots of confusion as to where the location is of the airewave.
Ok, so this isn't the Aire Wave. I'll change the title of this guide when I get a chance.

In the meantime, can someone please send me a guide to the actual Aire Wave? I don't think it would be appropriate for me to piece one together without me ever having been there!

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:17 pm

Corrected!

Aire Wave guide under construction...

Return to “England - Northeast”