RIVER WHARFE (Ilkley to Otley)

North of the Trent drainage, flowing to the North Sea
Jim Pullen

RIVER WHARFE (Ilkley to Otley)

Post by Jim Pullen » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:52 am

Done any NE/NW rivers not on the site? PM me!

cjt

Wharfe - Ilkley to Otley

Post by cjt » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:04 pm

Hi all,

Im a newbie to this forum and looking for some advice please.

Looking around for a nice easy G1 gentle paddle about the early part of May for a 2* and a novice in an double open ,
with the objective of luring the Novice into the paddlers world .

I spotted Matt Bibbings item on Ilkley to Otley and thought that is the ideal trip for us.

I was looking for an average 4 hour trip with a spot of lunch on the go or at a pub if available and was wondering if Matts trip could be stretched to an average 4 hour trip by setting in somewhere north of Ilkley .

Looking on the map, there appears to be a sewerage works opposite a golf course just to the south west of Addingham.

Is there any possible parking and put in point around that area, and is the trip suitable for a confident 2 star (but not over confident) to lure a 0* paddler into taking up the sport without scaring the poor guy witless. I would rather portage any weirs for my safety rather than the novices.

Your help would be appreciated

longview13082

Re: RIVER WHARFE (Ilkley to Otley)

Post by longview13082 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:01 pm

Hi all,I paddled this section (Ilkley to Otley) on Saturday 19th October 2013 and we were approached near the cemetery by what seemed like a very friendly gentleman. He then informed us it was illegal to be paddling this stretch of river. We responded with the usual information given to us by the BCU and left it at that- however, I'm now a little concerned. There was no signage to say that we were within spawning season or anything like that and I haven't heard of any access hassles but could someone please clarify this for me?Many thanks!

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:08 pm

It's the same as for any other river in England and Wales - if you access the river via public land and don't cause any kind of proven environmental damage, you are not breaking any law, either criminal or civil.

Chances are the guy was an ill-informed fisherman.
Done any NE/NW rivers not on the site? PM me!

longview13082

Post by longview13082 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:15 pm

Thanks for the confirmation Jim- we said almost the exact same thing!

Blonde Wendy

Post by Blonde Wendy » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:30 pm

The weir at Otley just down stream of the bridge in town, has collapsed on the far right.

Simmo68

Post by Simmo68 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:35 am

Hi all, paddled from likely pebble beach to otley weir on 3/12/2016! Had to exit kayak on 4 occasions due to low water in a few places! Take care approaching the weir, we carried our kayaks down the weir you definitely need to be very experienced to tackle the weir! And it would only be possible in high water and to be honest it's fun walking down the weir, Some decent white water in other places! Sawherons and kingfishers, fishermen and farmers shooting, all friendly! Had a couple of stops en route, took 4 hours in total, lovely paddle!

Blonde Wendy

Post by Blonde Wendy » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:06 pm

Blonde Wendy wrote:The weir at Otley just down stream of the bridge in town, has collapsed on the far right.
Now repaired, but here's a view of the collapse: