SHARK!

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
tpage

SHARK!

Post by tpage » Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:50 pm

Just back from a weekend trip to Staffa and the Treshnish, fantastic weather and lots of wildlife including puffins. On way back to Gometra I was approached by a 24foot + basking shark which decided to play chicken for the next 20 minutes. Every time a got the non-waterproof camera out of the pelicase he decided to head straight for my boat and I had to make a quick manouver to get away. I did manage to get a few good shots. Anyone out there like to post then on the site for me (Douglas/Mark are you out there?) Cheers Tony

Douglas Wilcox

shark

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:45 pm

Hi Tony,
I am on holiday just now but if you email them to me at d.e.wilcoxatclinmedetc I will get them on tonight or within 7 days.
Douglas:o)

PS we saw Minke breaching off toe head west Harris but no basking sharks though stornoway coastguard helicopter spotted a big one in the minch. I am down at the Solweay just now but the last time I saw a basaker there was about 1986.

Douglas Wilcox

Duh Duh, Duh Duh, Duh Duh......

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:25 pm

Tony's little friend.....

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:42 am

Good heavens, that's impressive.

I saw a film about sharks once...
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Douglas Wilcox

DUH DUH, DUH DUH, DUH DUH.....

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:12 am

I yhink you might find the Scottish variety of Great Whites even more impressive Mark. They are fairly often spotted. The Herald recently did an article on it including one sighting by a diver who is a marine biologist.

http://www.theherald.co.uk/features/22155.html

At Arisaig last weekend, I was talking to Ronnie Weir a long time kayaker, sailor and professional natural history photographer (he was out photographing the hump back whale which is in the vicinity of 5km south of ther Point of Sleat at the moment). He told me of his encounter with a Great White. They were paddling round Rum. Earlier they had seen a seal carcase on a beach with its hind quarters bitten off and they assumed that it was the work of the Orca pod that inhabit these waters. They came upon a seal colony basking on the rocks and Ronnie started to photograh them. He was amazed when he got right up to them and still they did not slither into the water. Suddenly his pal shouted basking shark but when Ronnie turned round he saw straight away it was no basking shark. It was a 5m great white, not quite full grown but easily big enough to take three kayakers apart for its second breakfast. There was nowhere to land safely at it followed, circled them for 5km till they could get out the water.

Douglas

tpage

harmless fish

Post by tpage » Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:29 am

I thought Basking sharks were supposed to be harmless until I started reading that they were sometimes prone to randomly breaching, and the average shark can weight the equivalent of 2 adult elephants..This can have fatal consequence... Tony

Date: 01 September 1937
"EAGLE" Boat
CARRADALE BAY, KINTYRE, FIRTH OF CLYDE, SCOTLAND. UK.
BASKING SHARK
FISHING
FATAL: 3 DROWNED. A.BROWN, R.BROWN, N.BROWN (10).  SHARK LEAPT OUT OF THE WATER AND SANK BOAT. 2 OTHERS SURVIVED.

tpage nli

Shark infested waters

Post by tpage nli » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:29 am

Almost a year from my original post and more Hebridean shark encounters to report.

Just back from a long weekend circumcision of Rum and Canna with Gavin and Gregor. Spotted 9 separate feeding basking sharks along the North coast of Canna- ranging from 12- >24 footers. These were spotted in rough water- no idea how many we would have spotted if the water had been calm.

If you want a close encounter with a BIG shark get yourself to the North Coast of Canna in August.

Then the next day while passing the Southern tip of Rum thought I saw number 10. He came right up to the boat... but.. the pointy nose, large black eyes and white notch at the base of the dorsa fin, indicated that he was no Basker, but a 6 foot Porbeagle. Apart from the big fish, we also spotted numerous sea eagles and shooting stars- what a place!!!
Tony

Surf or Die

Post by Surf or Die » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:27 am

All i can say is...................wow!

We are so lucky to live in such a beautiful part of the world.

Fantastic photo's and what an experience, times like these you really findout whats important in life.

Thanks for cheering my day up.
Andy

Daddy tell me about girls?

Son, one day you will make a girl very happy for a short period of time. Then she'll leave you and be with new men who are ten times better than you could ever hope to be.

These men are called kayakers.

CaileanMac

Post by CaileanMac » Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:21 pm

Gunna Sound - between Coll & Tiree is another mega hot spot along with the Cairns of Coll (Northernly tip of Coll) for watching basking sharks.

Watched 8 basking sharks last season for 2 hours, work a 'baby' tide race in Gunna Sound and the resulting funnel of planketon they were feeding on.Seen a basking shark every day for a week whilst working on Tiree at the start of August last year.

Global warming is happening! Warmer water = more planketon & fishy feed and therefore more basking sharks and other scary and not so scary animals in Scottish waters, like turtles. Anyone out there seen a turtle from their sea kayak in UK waters?

Cailean

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:04 pm

A guy at work has been trying to tell me there is evidence of a Mako shark patrolling the waters around Mull recently (I was sceptical and can find no news stories backing up his theory so firmly don't believe it) - anyone else heard anything as interesting as that?

Certainly we seem to be getting plagued with jellyfish on the west coast. I can't say if numbers are up or down since I haven't been here very long, and haven't been in the sea throughout the summer until now, all I can say is that they are abundant!

Sounds like it may be worth braving the crowds, midges and sunburn to explore the west coast in summer too?

JIM

seismicscot

Post by seismicscot » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:37 pm

Jim wrote:A guy at work has been trying to tell me there is evidence of a Mako shark patrolling the waters around Mull recently (I was sceptical and can find no news stories backing up his theory so firmly don't believe it) - anyone else heard anything as interesting as that?

JIM
Jim,

Not heard anything about this particular shark. However, Makos generally inhabit waters with temps around 60F (~15°C) and above, but larger Makos will tolerate temperatures of 50F (10°C)! Interestingly, if we are looking at warming coastal waters around the UK, then we will see many more migratory sharks, including Carcharodon carcharias!!

Cheers,

Clark
Clark Fenton

JW

Post by JW » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:00 am

Cailean

I saw a large Leatherback turtle in Bardsey Sound, off the end of the Lleyn Peninsula last summer. It was quite a sight, though I must admit it took me a while to twig what it was.

I am yet to meet my first basking shark, though it sounds from above that I am one of the few yet to do so! As to the more scary varieties, I am in no hurry to come across those just yet.

JW

IainS

Post by IainS » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:19 am

Jim,

Took my son on the 'Seaprobe Atlantis' glassbottomed boat from Kyle earlier this summer. They have a couple of recorded sightings of a Mako shark (during May I think) in the waters around Kyle. Sadly such a beast didn't show up the day we were there - but must have been a mighty impressive sight from the underside of their boat. We mainly saw jellies and the underside of sea kayaks.

Iain

gordon ross

How about Killer Whales

Post by gordon ross » Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:02 pm

Wondering if anyone has encounter a Killer whale in Scottish waters whilst out paddling and got photographic evidence to share with us.

Neist Point, Skye Mid-August last year I experienced a Basking Shark breaching which was quite a sights. I could not quite believe it, it was huge and fully airborne.