RIVER ROTHAY

North of the Severn drainage, west of the Pennines
Post Reply
User avatar
Mark R
Posts: 24129
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2002 6:17 pm
Location: Dorset
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 10 times
Contact:

RIVER ROTHAY

Post by Mark R » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:28 pm


User avatar
Jim Pullen
Posts: 2237
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:21 am
Location: Darlington
Been thanked: 1 time

Post by Jim Pullen » Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:06 pm

Greg Bartlett, RAO Cumbria, 02/03/07 wrote:The abuse of the section at Pelter Bridge by paddlers is unacceptable.
Recent reports from the resident at the cottage on river left are that
groups of paddlers have been getting out of their boats and dragging boats
across the garden to get out, or to run the rapid again, spending hours
running skills sessions and playing at the bottom of the rapid and using the
banks as a base, or worse still, swearing and being abusive when challenged
by the friendly and up until now tolerant resident to the point of making
her feel bullied. All this is unacceptable. WE have no right to use someone
private property without permission. This is common sense and the law.

Individuals or groups using this river must remember that there is NO access
to the banks at Pelter Bridge, and if you run this section, you do it, and
then move on. Sorry, but this is the way it is, and it ensures we are able
to use this river unchallenged in the future.
Done any NE/NW rivers not on the site? PM me!

heybaz
Posts: 610
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2005 5:49 pm
Location: South Cumbria
Has thanked: 1 time

Rothay Tree

Post by heybaz » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:39 pm

Just after the stepping stones, fully across the beck with trunk on the left bank, branches in the river from middle to right bank.

Just managed to squeeze under it (left of mid river) during a low water run today, much more water and I would have been out, portaging on river left...

heybaz
Posts: 610
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2005 5:49 pm
Location: South Cumbria
Has thanked: 1 time

Re: Rothay Tree

Post by heybaz » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:17 pm

Photo for interest...

Image

User avatar
Jim Pullen
Posts: 2237
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:21 am
Location: Darlington
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: RIVER ROTHAY

Post by Jim Pullen » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:43 am

I'm trying to get hold of EA gauge calibrations for the Rothay. Any one got any ideas?
Done any NE/NW rivers not on the site? PM me!

Wadhamite
Posts: 356
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:08 am
Contact:

Re: RIVER ROTHAY

Post by Wadhamite » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:28 pm

Jim Pullen wrote:I'm trying to get hold of EA gauge calibrations for the Rothay. Any one got any ideas?
0.7 on the Ea gauge is just runnable. Ran the Rothay from Pelter Bridge at 6.8 on the Mill Bridge gauge below the weir (think this would be 0.68 on the ea website) and it was a bit of a scrape until Stockghyll joined. The stepping stones were two inches above water. Will see if I can remember the river level when I ran it in April from Grasmere, that was a terrible scrape, barely runnable.

At the level yesterday, there was a nice surf able little wave below the weir, at Ulverston guesthouse.
LV induction guide: http://tmblr.co/ZIurAvTdASgQ

Wadhamite
Posts: 356
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:08 am
Contact:

Re: RIVER ROTHAY

Post by Wadhamite » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:56 am

Wadhamite wrote:
Jim Pullen wrote:I'm trying to get hold of EA gauge calibrations for the Rothay. Any one got any ideas?
0.7 on the Ea gauge is just runnable. Ran the Rothay from Pelter Bridge at 6.8 on the Mill Bridge gauge below the weir (think this would be 0.68 on the ea website) and it was a bit of a scrape until Stockghyll joined. The stepping stones were two inches above water. Will see if I can remember the river level when I ran it in April from Grasmere, that was a terrible scrape, barely runnable.

At the level yesterday, there was a nice surf able little wave below the weir, at Ulverston guesthouse.
For ref, EA 0.72 looks like this on the stepping stones: http://kingswoman.tumblr.com/image/39920583764
LV induction guide: http://tmblr.co/ZIurAvTdASgQ

blackdog
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:32 am

Re: RIVER ROTHAY

Post by blackdog » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:22 am

There is a tree down, about 500m below the stepping stones. It is passable on the RHS, but it's a squeeze, and the less experienced might struggle.

rccarr
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:26 pm

River Rothay works at Miller Bridge House

Post by rccarr » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:35 pm

To all river users of the River Rothay,

The Environment Agency is currently undertaking preparatory works to carry out maintenance to the gauging station at Miller Bridge House on the river Rothay. We don’t expect these works to have a significant impact on river users, however there will some constriction within the channel while works are going on.

The proposed works include bank repairs to both sides of the channel and to the weir at Miller Bridge House. We expect works to last around 3 weeks and plan to start on week commencing 9 June. During this work we will be damming off small sections of each bank to the river. We will not be blocking flow or access to the river however in the area around the weir, the river will be constrained.

Please do not use these dams as stopping or access points. If you do become aware of any issues such as damage to one of these dams such as slippage or a breach due to an impact, please report this to our incident hotline as soon as possible so that the appropriate mitigation measure can be put in place to protect river users safety as well as avoid any environmental damage to the surrounding habitats. The 24 hour phone number is: 0800 80 70 60.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding these works, please contact me at robert.carr1@environment-agency.gov.uk.

Robert Carr - Environment Agency Project Manager

feedbackproblem
Posts: 112
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:01 am

Re: RIVER ROTHAY

Post by feedbackproblem » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:48 pm

There's what looks to be a broken sewage pipe on the river bed just a few feet North of the A593 bridge (near Riverside Lodge) in Ambleside which is spewing muck in to the river. Not much risk to paddlers but it's probably best not to hang around there and definitely avoid swimming or rolling practice. The EA are aware.

STEVEHITCHEN
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:26 pm

Re: RIVER ROTHAY

Post by STEVEHITCHEN » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:02 pm

Hi folks, Wigan Canoe Group paddled this on Sunday 11th June 2017 at 0.85 aprox.
We launched in Grasmere, and paddled down to Waterhead on Windermere. Its a
few years since I did this river and it is very scenic. It is also very overgrown in a few
places which could be a problem at higher levels, in fact the exit from Rydal water
onto the river is just a Kayak wide gap through bushes, and is not easy to see.
The main point of interest for us, was discovering a net stretched across
the river just before the Grade 3 rapid at Pelter Bridge.We managed to pass this
on the right hand side. Again this could be tricky at higher levels. After Pelter Bridge
things were clear until bushes encroach in a couple of places, care needed!! 0.95 would have been a better level, but all in all a good paddle, with several good playspots Steve H. WCG.

Philip Jones
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:34 pm

Re: RIVER ROTHAY

Post by Philip Jones » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:03 pm

Did this river for the first time this weekend with Sheffield Hallam,
Two Trees currently down on the river,
First is easily portaged right at the start, just as you come to the end of Rydal Water, jump out to the right and walk down until you're past it.
You can just about get around it on the water if you really want to hard left but it's not ideal for beginners.

The second one is at 54°26'13.3"N 2°58'41.8"W (Couldn't think how to explain how far down it is).
There is a tree down mixed with barbed wire across the river.
Can portgage through the field to the right and involves crossing a fallen barbed wire fence to get back on.

SiDorey
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:30 pm

Re: RIVER ROTHAY

Post by SiDorey » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:29 pm

Philip Jones wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:03 pm
Did this river for the first time this weekend with Sheffield Hallam,
Two Trees currently down on the river,
First is easily portaged right at the start, just as you come to the end of Rydal Water, jump out to the right and walk down until you're past it.
You can just about get around it on the water if you really want to hard left but it's not ideal for beginners.

The second one is at 54°26'13.3"N 2°58'41.8"W (Couldn't think how to explain how far down it is).
There is a tree down mixed with barbed wire across the river.
Can portgage through the field to the right and involves crossing a fallen barbed wire fence to get back on.
STEVEHITCHEN wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:02 pm
Hi folks, Wigan Canoe Group paddled this on Sunday 11th June 2017 at 0.85 aprox.
We launched in Grasmere, and paddled down to Waterhead on Windermere. Its a
few years since I did this river and it is very scenic. It is also very overgrown in a few
places which could be a problem at higher levels, in fact the exit from Rydal water
onto the river is just a Kayak wide gap through bushes, and is not easy to see.
The main point of interest for us, was discovering a net stretched across
the river just before the Grade 3 rapid at Pelter Bridge.We managed to pass this
on the right hand side. Again this could be tricky at higher levels. After Pelter Bridge
things were clear until bushes encroach in a couple of places, care needed!! 0.95 would have been a better level, but all in all a good paddle, with several good playspots Steve H. WCG.

Hi. Is this route suitable for an open canoe?

jamiemagee
Posts: 404
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:36 pm
Location: Cumbria
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: RIVER ROTHAY

Post by jamiemagee » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:56 pm

It's a bit tight in places. I've seen canoes do it before. I'd be tempted to give it a go.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk


Graham E
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:52 pm

Re: RIVER ROTHAY

Post by Graham E » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:23 pm

Did the Rothay today and the two tress have now been removed but the net bridge above Pelter Bridge still in place

Post Reply