RIVER SWALE (Hoggarths Bridge to Muker)

North of the Trent drainage, flowing to the North Sea
Mark R

RIVER SWALE (Hoggarths Bridge to Muker)

Post by Mark R » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:16 am

Jim Pullen

Re: RIVER SWALE (Hoggarths Bridge to Muker)

Post by Jim Pullen » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:05 am

I'll add this extra description of my suggestions for the lines on the drops which I've previously posted elsewhere:
Jim Pullen wrote:It has been described as being run as grade 3 with 5 portages! But where's the fun in that! ;-)

Wain wath is the first fall and can be run pretty much anywhere, a good boof is useful but you can get away with missing it. I have seen a boat stuck behind the curtain before, but god knows how they got it there!

Rainby is the first biggy. The line is down the tongue near the middle, and leads to a straight forward slide down the shallow bottom. However, hitting the wrong line here would be a very bad thing and could mean landing on rock from 6m. First time go with someone who's run it before to demonstrate the line.

The big unnamed grade 4 rapid is next. Boof off the first little shelf and run centre, heading left at the bottom to miss the big submerged rock/stopper.

Catrake is messy. A double drop. The first is usually run down the slide on extreme right, but can be boofed off the ledge provided you don't mind a hard landing! The second goes pretty much anywhere at normal levels, but always involves a bit of bumping. You might want to avoid get pushed into the big eddy on the right between the two.

Upper Kisdon is next. This has changed in the last few years with a bit of collapse in the middle. In decent water boof or pencil far left. It can be run on the right, but try and avoid going into the undercut on the right, or the curtain on the left!

Lower Kisdon is the main event and by far the most serious and intimidating. The line is towards the right, landing on the shelf and ideally boofing off. I've had and seen a variety of success on this. The last time I ran it, I almost missed the shelf, it caught my stern and flipped me, resulting in landing in the pool on my head from 5m! No harm done, but wouldn't want to repeat it! The cleanest lines seem to be achieved by not putting too hard a stroke in on the lip and then managing to get one off the shelf. It can also be run down the main-line, between the shelf and undercut. Accuracy is key to this! You will disappear at the bottom and there will be an element of chance as to where you resurface. I counted to three when Poke did this in highish water last time! I've done it in very low levels which wasn't too bad.

Hope this helps! In summary, if you can run grade 4, you should be able to do everything, but definitely go with someone who's done it before and maybe aim for lowish levels first time. In high water, extend the run by putting on on Whitsundale Beck.
Done any NE/NW rivers not on the site? PM me!

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:44 am

Ran the Swale on Saturday 23rd in lowish levels.

Just a note that there's currently a huge tree in the Keld gorge (after the Catrake double drop). It's pretty obvious and you can get round it easily on river left, but be aware in case it shifts during the next set of floods.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:31 pm

Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:06 am

Ran the Swale on Saturday - all clear!

geyrfugl

Post by geyrfugl » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:10 pm

Here's a video that shows the river at about an ideal level - 1m precisely as we passed under Park Bridge. It also shows a lot of the paddling between the drops, just in case people get the impression that there is nothing but waterfalls. We started at Hoggarths Bridge and finished at Lower Kisdon (bottom or top, according to taste and/or adrenaline saturation).

Lower Kisdon shows two lines - down the middle (and one version where it so nearly could have gone horribly wrong, starting a bit too far left), and bouncing off the shelf. Rory and Sandra took a line on the right on Catrake where I couldn't see them with the video - it looked more elegant than the left line, but harder with more things to worry about if it went wrong.

Andy

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:26 pm

Nice one Andy, glad you've finally got a run in on the mighty Upper Swale! 1m on the gauge is pretty high for a first run down! Things do slow down a bit with less water and the only really difficult portage is Catrake. I see you found the slot on Wain wath! ;-)

Stu mac

Post by Stu mac » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:08 am

Hi we ran the swale yesterday 28th april 2012 was only reading 0.3 on the gauge so was quite low but a very nice river eye opener for me thanks. Certain to do it agen!

slim

Post by slim » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:21 pm

Ran the Swale yesterday (24 June 2012) - 0.6 on the gauge. YouTube Video here

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:31 pm

Ran it today in high levels, about 1.1m on the gauge, great fun. There's work being done on park bridge at the moment and there's a rope across the river below this. Fine in high levels as submerged, but take care in lower levels.

geyrfugl

Post by geyrfugl » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:14 pm

The work seems to be finished at Park bridge, though there's still a bit of rope. We ran it at 1m again at New Year (a day out for all the family, mum, dad and both kids:-). No video of that yet (it was rainy and a bit dark but might make something of the footage eventually).

Should have mentioned there's a shorter video of the run at a lower (easier) level, 0.64m in the sunshine

apologies for the not always audible voiceover - I had to go next door into a very cold house to find somewhere quiet enough to record and when one or two weren't as good as they should have been, I was reluctant to go back to repeat them ;-(

Andy

Grrr. why does "Quick reply" take all the newlines out ? [Edit to put them back]

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:54 am

A note about Wain Wath falls. Jim, I found out to my cost yesterday how a boat can end up behind the curtain! My boat!

The river was running at a medium level this Sunday gone, and I decided to try taking the river right line ledge that is often seen in videos. I cocked it and went too far right and got taken down the slot next to it, and then got the beating of my life there, getting recirced a number of times.

I took a last ditch effort to roll into a ball again and it took me deep, finally ejected me, pretty much on the last breath I thought I would get!

Treat this drop with respect if you attempt the right hand line. It is often seen as the "grade 3 intro drop" to the run. But as I found out it can also deliver a severe beating if you get it wrong! My boat spent most of the day getting recirculated behind the waterfall before finally being ejected as the levels fell later in the day. Though it ended up going against the undercut wall. Some kind souls who were doing a late run of the river managed to pull it out for me. A huge relief as it had my GoPro in it as well. So major props to them.

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:43 pm

Oh dear! Sorry to hear that Simon, but glad you got out ok!

On the right line, people tend to either go extreme right and drop of the ledge, or onto the bit that sticks out and auto-boof off. Sometimes, this second option is shallower than expected and the results are people slipping off sideways into the slot. I've seen plenty of people sub-out in the slot, but it normally spits them straight back out. Sorry to hear it decided to make a tasty meal out of you on this occasion!

SwaledaleMRT

Post by SwaledaleMRT » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:55 am

Great to see the Upper Swale being so popular with paddlers.

Just a quick note of caution on Lower Kisdon Force. Swaledale MRT has just undertaken the second rescue of a paddler with spinal/pevic injuries after bouncing of the ledge in the middle of the drop. We think that the screams in the two videos below probably serve as enough of a reminder to get your line right....

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:47 pm

SwaledaleMRT wrote:Great to see the Upper Swale being so popular with paddlers.

Just a quick note of caution on Lower Kisdon Force. Swaledale MRT has just undertaken the second rescue of a paddler with spinal/pevic injuries after bouncing of the ledge in the middle of the drop. We think that the screams in the two videos below probably serve as enough of a reminder to get your line right....

Thanks once more to Swaledale MRT for the work they do.
However, it is hard to see from those vids what Andy and Jack got wrong. The line is one I've taken many times without the consequences they suffered, I can only guess they weren't leaning far enough forward upon impact, which resulted in the full force going up their backs?

SwaledaleMRT

Post by SwaledaleMRT » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:55 pm

Jim, agree - after watching the videos more closely the damage seems to be done in the pool rather than on the ledge. Think you need to hit the pool pointy end first (lean forwards as you suggest).....two incidents against the number of paddlers making the run without incident does perhaps suggest bad luck.

We certainly aren't suggesting folk don't get out there and have fun!

electricbarfbag

Post by electricbarfbag » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:44 pm

Did a run of the swale super early this morning, was about 0.8m. Just worth noting that a sizeable tree has fallen across the river a few hundred meters above upper kisdon. You can sneak around left but might be awkward in higher levels.