RIVER WHARFE (Kettlewell to Grassington)

North of the Trent drainage, flowing to the North Sea
Mark R

RIVER WHARFE (Kettlewell to Grassington)

Post by Mark R »

Jim Pullen

Re: RIVER WHARFE (Kettlewell to Grassington)

Post by Jim Pullen »

I deleted a topic containing the following useful info. Please try to post in the relevant guide topics in future - Thanks!
Andy H 21/12/08 wrote:Hi All
Did the Wharfe today Sunday the 21st Dec at a good medium level and there is a tree river right halfway down Ghastrills Strid(the next rapid after coniston falls) This is blocking the right hand route down the rapid and could cause problems if run blind, However the left is fine down the shallow ramp (the chicken shoot).

The tree may shift in high/spate water but until then keep your eyes peeled

Andy
MattBibbings wrote:This is indeed a nasty tree. It has however been there for some time now. It has survived all the massive water levels of this past summer and has not been shifted by even the heftiest of spates.

It may require some dedicated chainsaw action. I am going to wait for very low water and wade out to have a look at it and assess the possibility of moving it.
Ricks-freestyle-mind 23/12/08 wrote:Is this the section directly below the actual Strid, on the far, far right hand side by the bouldery bit up against the cliff? Not in the actual Strid bit?

Just curious as we often run club trips on that section of river.

Thanks.
Andy H 26/12/08 wrote:The lead into Ghastrills strid is split by a rock band as you know both routes down this are OK as you can go for the big eddys on river left half way down.
The tree is just directly infront of the cliff face and is laid right across the right hand line which some people take to test there manouvering skills as it is classed as the harder line. the left line (the easier line) is fine down the shallow ramp.

If you go into the start on the left and take a swim the tree shouldnt effect you and even if you are being sweep left then you could be bagged from the good eddys on river left.
If you go into the rapid on river right and take a swim then its going to be serious as you will most certinly go into the tree and rescue will be difficult as you are to far over from the good eddys on river left.

If in doubt INSPECT or go left all the way.

Hope that helps you out cheers Andy
Done any NE/NW rivers not on the site? PM me!

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen »

Paddled this yesterday in high levels, no sign of the tree mentioned above unless it was completely submerged!
Done any NE/NW rivers not on the site? PM me!

Rjo103

Post by Rjo103 »

At the weir before Linton falls, there is some building work on the hydropower turbines. Consequently, more water is going over the remainder of the weir with quite messy water below. There also appear to be steel wires across parts of the drop.

We portaged river left, there is a convenient bridge back over for those who don't want to run Linton falls.

Rich

Shifty

Post by Shifty »

The Hydro station at the weir is now complete.

Hadn't been there for a while and the whirring and turbines came as quite a shock!

jaqqso

Post by jaqqso »

Anyone got any more upto date info on this run looking at coming up in 2 weeks time Trees etc?

evolvedlight

Post by evolvedlight »

Did this on Saturday - no trees and everything ran nicely. Friendly smiles from all we met.

TomJ

Post by TomJ »

Removed a branch from the tree currently sitting under the central bridge pillar at Linton Falls today - middle line off the ledge is now clear.

Chrace

Post by Chrace »

John Fitzgerald (Aug 08) Further to Chris Wallis's comments on "strid": this is derived from an old Danish/Norse adjective (stri) which dates back to the Viking occupation of North Eastern England and simply means "rapid" - the English word "stride" derives from the same root in the sense of 'walking quickly'. So Ghaistrills Strid is the rapids, not the narrow bit.
Eh? I'm Danish and pretty sure that has nothing to do with it. "Strid" in Danish means "contradiction", "resistant", or even "battle". "Stri" doesn't even exist as anything but a deviation of "strid", not in the current nor the old nordic Danish language (a rough guess would put it as west Jutland dialect). "Strid" as an adjective would translate as "mean" (e.g. "hun er strid").

The Bolton Abbey website suggest it comes from "Stryth" meaning "Tumoil" or "Turmult". So although admittedly my ancestors did make a bit of noise in this region, it's not all our fault!

jaqqso

Post by jaqqso »

All i can see when i look on here is old posts from ages ago has anyone got any new info on the section from Kettlewell to LInton are all of the rapids/drops portagable if we wanted to does any know? Ghastrills Strid? i know you can walk round coniston and linton and the weir if needed

Thanks

Yew

Post by Yew »

Has anyone got a calibration for low on the new guage at kettlewell?

Return to “England - Northeast”