North Uist: Sea Kayaking paradise!^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Douglas Wilcox

North Uist: Sea Kayaking paradise!^

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:18 pm

Just spent several days in paradise even although we had rain, fog, swell, surf tidal rapids and gales, we also had a little sunshine and lighter winds. We watched Minke whale breaching and sat round a fire of combustible organic material! And in case you were wondering if this was one of my more frequented haunts, there were NO midges!

Douglas :o)
Last edited by Douglas Wilcox on Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:08 pm

Look Wilcox, there should be a law against this sort of thing! Incitement to violence would do I suppose! Extreme jealousy here - - - - -

Ok, so you've been to the Hebridies. Somewhere near Taransay if I'm not mistaken??

Although I dont have any pics, we had a lovely little outing on Saturday, out of North Berwick, with the SCA - astonishing to think that we were within 50 miles of one of the largest cities in the world and found almost total solitude in wonderful surroundings.

As, clearly, did you <grin>

Mike.

Hairy Pat

Stunning

Post by Hairy Pat » Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:47 pm

Hi Doug

As ever stunning pictures, keep it up. You are whetting my appetite for the paddling and wild camping I'm going to be doing around Loch Nevis & Hourn in two weeks.

Pat

Matty O

Hebridean Heaven!

Post by Matty O » Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:20 pm

Thanks Douglas... you have just reminded me exactly why I have planned a week on the Western Isles in a couple of weeks time! Not the sheer beauty of South Harris but a trip to the Uists instead. After seeing your photos, I can hardly wait!

NickB

Post by NickB » Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:20 am

Another green eyed monster here! The continual high quality of your trips and photos is really p!**!ng me off. And how do you get your photos directly into your posts? Are they still sat on a server or just uploaded from your machine?
Cheers
Nick Benny

Arguments are extremely vulgar, for everybody in good society holds exactly the same opinions!

Douglas Wilcox

North Uist

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:21 pm

Mike B>Ok, so you've been to the Hebridies. Somewhere near Taransay if I'm not mistaken??

Our original plan had been to leave the car at Uig on Skye, ferry to Loch Maddy, round east of North Uist to Sound of Harris cross the sound round Toe Head into West Loch Tarbert then portage to Tarbet and ferry back to Uig.

Sadly the wind gods were not agreeable to this and force 7 to 8 winds kept us storm bound in Loch Maddy but we worked our way up through the tidal rapids and portaged over into Loch Mhic Phail then round to the causeway to Berneray. Here the wind and rain eased off and we spent a wonderful evening in the machair and dunes of SE Berneray.

The next day light W winds in the morning were forecast to increase to force 5 in the afternoon. We had just enough time to paddle back for our ferry but I wanted more of those white sand beaches so I phoned Uist Outdoor and arranged for a pickup with their trailer at the causeway for 2 pm the next day, this would get us back to Loch Maddy in time for the ferry and give us another day out in the west.

We paddled out to Boray and set camp beside a ruined village at the top of the dunes. (Each house had 4 fulmar chicks in it, one in each corner, they like their space!). In the afternoon we paddled out to Aird a Mhorain and the magnificent surf beach of Traigh Udal. After a warming peat fire, sheltering from the drizzle under a tarp (most useful if the wind is light) we enjoyed our last night before a foggy paddle back to Berneray causeway.

Douglas Wilcox

North Uist techy stuff

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:30 pm

Nick B>And how do you get your photos directly into your posts?

Hi Nick, I have them on my own web space and link to them using the [img] tag above.

Mike B>Including a note as to phone (network specific) / vhf coverage in variouis locations could be worthwhile???

We had 3 mobiles: o2 orange and vodaphone. O2 was best then orange with vodaphone only working high up, in places. Of course the reception is also phone dependent. My Nokia 6250has great fringe reception, 11 day standby, has a built in sound meter for using in windy noisy environments and is water resistant if somewhat unfashionable in size and appearance!

Stornoway coastguard maritime safety/forecasts came through loud and clear on the marine vhf every 4 hours from 0110 GMT.

adrian j pullin

Uist

Post by adrian j pullin » Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:48 am

How am I supposed to concentrate on work with pictures of this quality appearing?

Great location, great pics, great deal of green eyes (again)!

Are you writing the full story for the reports section of this site? Please? So I can at least dream!

Douglas Wilcox

North Uist update

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:31 pm

The Scottish Sea Kayaking Photo Gallery has now been updated with 65 high res pics of this trip to North Uist

Scottish Sea Kayaking Photo Gallery