RIVER GRETA (Rutherford to the Tees confluence)

North of the Trent drainage, flowing to the North Sea
Mark R

Post by Mark R » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:48 pm

Paul L

Re: RIVER GRETA (Rutherford to the Tees confluence)

Post by Paul L » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:08 pm

Paddled the Greta this morning 14/11/2009 and there are 3 large tree blockages now. One of them being river wide but is passable limbo style on the far river left though not sure it would be with a little more water the other being on the river left but there is a route down to the river right . The last is the one thats been there a while on river right passable on river left down a shoot to the left of the tree. The first one is about 2 miles after getting on then the other 2 are after this so keep your wits about you .Great river despite the trees not to be missed.

Cheers

Paul Leonard

Paul L

Post by Paul L » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:24 pm

River wide tree blockage has now gone but there are still a few trees along the way all can be paddled past one side or the other.

Cheers

Paul

Paul L

Post by Paul L » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:14 am

Hi, ran the Tees Greta about two weeks ago.There is a tree blockage , If I remember rightly is about half way down, looks like a total blockage but once you get a bit closer its easily passable on the left limbo style . Great river have ran it about 10 times over the winter infact its almost my local run, does`nt need to be chucking it down as the guide suggests infact last time I ran it it was glorious sunshine. If you can float under Greta bridge jump on.

Cheers

Paul

Paul L

Post by Paul L » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:19 pm

Greta at a good level today will hopefully still be up tomorrow if we get some more rain tonight.

Cheers

Paul

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:30 pm

Ran the Greta this morning at a lower level than I've done before, about 0.55m on the gauge. Still really good fun and all went without scraping, including Rokesby Falls. No tree issues apart from the one on the river right of the island about 3/4 of the way down that's been there for years. At this level don't try going river left at the confluence with the Tees....
Done any NE/NW rivers not on the site? PM me!

GosforthStu

Post by GosforthStu » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:13 am

ChartImagegreta by GosforthStu, on Flickr

ran on 06/07/2012, we got on at Rutherford bridge 6:30pm and off at Whorlton around 9pm. Really fun continuous level, 0.8 - 1.2 rising. Ive ran it in lower levels but this run was definitely the best conditions for me. The last few rapids running in to Whorlton created some big stoppers and wave trains. We didnt encounter any trees jammed in our path. however their was a couple of floaters!

bib_bob_euroslap

Post by bib_bob_euroslap » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:37 pm

Ran this yesterday and there are 2 sizable trees next to each other accross the whole river and must be portaged. I can't remember the exact location as this was my first time on the river but roughly it was about half way down, just before a couple of bends and before the river splits in to 3 channels.
They were easy enough to spot and easy to portage on river left so where they are at the moment they don't pose too much of a risk. However, if or when there's more water they will no doubt carry on downstream somewhere, so be aware!

Rory W

Post by Rory W » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:55 pm

No trees at all in the Greta today. In fact the whole river is as tree free as I've ever seen it. Some of the trees that have been blocking channels for years have gone. They were doing some felling around the area you're describing, with a couple of big trees down on the bank. Obviously always worth keeping a look out.

Has to be one of the best rivers of it's grade in the country!

Jag

Post by Jag » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:49 pm

Never run this before as I've not wanted to commit to the grade 4 at the end. Didn't realise there was an earlier get off at Greta Bridge! Fantastic run at about 0.8 to 0.9 on the EA guage, now I know I can get off at Greta Bridge I'll be going back again next time the waters up.

Rory W

Post by Rory W » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:36 pm

At 0.9 the rapid in Rokeby estate isn't really any harder than the long rapid just above Greta bridge. You can have a look at it but there's no real necessary line to make at that level or just above. Trickier when it's lower but you can walk round the 1st step. Would be a bit of a faff to portage the lot but if you're confident on the rest of the run I'd go have a look next time.

ajm

Post by ajm » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:47 pm

Paddled this today (28/07/2013) and a tree has fallen and blocks most of river right about 100 or metres upstream from the final rapid. We had to eddy out and portage. Unsure if river left is runnable.

cp

Post by cp » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:41 pm

If its the same tree , river left of the island is clear but the tree is still blocking the Right hand channel

geyrfugl

Post by geyrfugl » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:39 pm

Still there 2013-10-20. Photo shows state with river about as low as you'd want to paddle (0.51m on Rutherford gauge when we put on). Plenty of eddy space at that level, but left channel not runnable so definitely a portage on the left. Looks as if it could be a bit more grief at higher levels.

ajm

Post by ajm » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:51 pm

Paddled the Greta yesterday at medium levels and tree is still there but has moved to face downstream so isn't so much of an issue.

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Sat May 24, 2014 3:52 pm

Paddled this today at a bit above 0.6. No trees at all to Greta Bridge.
However, the foot bridge just above the grade 4 has collapsed and is an awful strainer. Go river left of the island as you approach to avoid!

Kayacb

Post by Kayacb » Sat May 24, 2014 7:53 pm

In low water/with land owners permission I could have that tree cleared in a few hours.....

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Sat May 24, 2014 8:23 pm

Kayacb wrote:In low water/with land owners permission I could have that tree cleared in a few hours.....
Er, what tree, that one has above gone/already been cleared?

If you can do anything about a wooden footbridge however...

Kayacb

Post by Kayacb » Sat May 24, 2014 9:03 pm

Same solution. Chainsaw & 3.5t winch.

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Sun May 25, 2014 6:34 pm

Ran it again today and footbridge has gone! No evidence of it downstream, so guess the landowner has removed it.

On another topic, the parking at Rutherford bridge may be an issue as someone was leaving notes on paddlers cars. There were three big groups on the river today which didn't help, but I'd suggest only leaving one car there if possible and not to park in the passing place on river right.

tape34

Post by tape34 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:34 pm

ajm wrote: Paddled the Greta yesterday at medium levels and tree is still there but has moved to face downstream so isn't so much of an issue.

Paddled Saturday 31/10/2015
This tree just upstream of Greta Bridge is still in the same position as photo Feb 2014. At 0.66m on the gauge it was easy to paddle river left, the other side is not good.

There is a very large tree about halfway between Rutherford Bridge and Greta Bridge. It has fallen from the right hand bank and reaches nearly to left hand bank. This is a serious blockage but easy portage river right.

Pete Ball

Jag

Post by Jag » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:36 am

River wide tree down a bit below Rutherford bridge. Photo taken at about 0.5 on guage.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

box2k2

Post by box2k2 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:02 am

Paddled yesterday. Tree previously mentioned it still there passable with a bump and scrape. All clear otherwise.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 27b6f5b13b