RIVER WHARFE (Grassington to Barden Bridge)

North of the Trent drainage, flowing to the North Sea
Mark R

RIVER WHARFE (Grassington to Barden Bridge)

Post by Mark R »

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen »

Chris Brazendale wrote: Just to say the Tree that was stuck in the top fall for several years, has been gone for about a year now.
Submitted on 24/02/07
Done any NE/NW rivers not on the site? PM me!

STEVEHITCHEN

Re: RIVER WHARFE (Grassington to Barden Bridge)

Post by STEVEHITCHEN »

Hi folks, Wigan Canoe Group ran this at low level 0.47 aprox on Tuesday 27th Dec 16.
Scenic and easy at this level, a couple of grade 2 rapids with shorts bits of grade 3 at
Appletreewick. A couple of scrapey bits just before Barden Bridge, otherwise Very enjoyable. Steve Hitchen W.C.G.

kurbads

Post by kurbads »

That SE168553 is Blubberhouses not Linton.

Furthermore, remembering walking down the river from pedestrian bridge, WITH the idea of boating in mind, I remember bushy thorny nearly vertical 20ft descent bank, fenced off with a razor wire.

The 'no through' road in the village opposite has NO room for parking. It is not 'no through', it is 'dead end' or 'cul de sac' but it is not no through. No through is something you can go through if you wish but it is access only.

You are giving a large amount of very very wrong and misleading information.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

Thank for the comments. Grid ref is clearly wrong and has now been amended to the approximate correct location and added a warning that the access description may be out of date.

This is a community site and depends on contributions; if you know a better description please post it.

kurbads

Post by kurbads »

The red line suggested in guide with wild goose chase in a no parking zone or paid parking and blue line free parking with direct access to water, seen it myself. Grassy but accessible.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

Thanks for the photo. Location of public car park clarified in Guide. Does your suggested blue route go through the churchyard? Looking at the map, an alternative which is definitely legal would be take the public footpath down the side of the churchyard to the stepping stones.

Franky

Post by Franky »

"No Through Road" means (and has always meant) "You cannot use this road to get through to anywhere". It's the same thing as a cul-de-sac. I'm not sure why there are two different terms and signs, but it's always been the case.

I don't know what the guide said before it was amended, but from the description here, the term "no through road" doesn't sound wrong or misleading.

Return to “England - Northeast”