River Wear - Durham City to Finchale Priory

North of the Trent drainage, flowing to the North Sea
Mark R

River Wear - Durham City to Finchale Priory

Post by Mark R » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:37 pm

Last edited by Mark R on Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:51 pm

David Johnson wrote:Access to this stretch of river is now prohibited by order
of an agreement between DEFRA and landlords. I think you may be able to
gain access if you contact the local authorities or individual landlords as
you would any other river
Submitted 08/06/07

I believe this is in relation to the "access agreement" created as a result of the university of Brighton "study." I'm sure responsible paddlers will take this into account when deciding whether environmental conditions allow access to the river.
Done any NE/NW rivers not on the site? PM me!

ansogura

Re: RIVER WEAR (Durham City to Finchale Priory)

Post by ansogura » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:20 pm

Not quite sure what to make of these posts by David Johnson and Jim Pullen. Since they are now 7 years old I guess they are no longer appropriate.
I have paddled this stretch of the Wear for nigh on 45 years. On only a very few occasions have I been challenged. In the early days I used to stop and attempt to argue my case. Now at the first sign of any challenge I just bid them a cheery goodbye and paddle on my way. Most recently, a few weeks ago, I met several fishermen who were perfectly cheerful and friendly but then two who were quite grumpy. One said "You're not allowed on this river", I thought to myself as I paddled quietly on "Oh really?....well here I am!"
I will certainly continue to paddle this stretch until my aging body renders me unable to do so, infact I'm off to paddle it tomorrow and it's raining heavily at the moment so should be a good level. ;-)