River Ouse - Linton Weir

North of the Trent drainage, flowing to the North Sea
Mark R

River Ouse - Linton Weir

Post by Mark R » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:03 am

Last edited by Mark R on Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Philip Mitchell

Tree in Linton Locks

Post by Philip Mitchell » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:36 pm

There is a huge tree at the top of the fish ladder of linton locks, it doesnt look like it will be moving until the river floods again.
Photo to come

Phil

Philip Mitchell

Re: Tree in Linton Locks

Post by Philip Mitchell » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:19 pm

mpooleman

Re: RIVER OUSE (Linton Weir)

Post by mpooleman » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:37 am

Mark Pooleman

daw

Post by daw » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:28 pm

Any know if this tree is still in the fish ladder?

David

Philip Mitchell

Post by Philip Mitchell » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:01 pm

Its still there but much more cut down. We had a go at it the other weekend and got most of the smaller branches off. The environmental agency came down after us and it is now just the main trunk.
It probably is runnable but that's up to you to decide.

Phil

1993FreeStyle

Post by 1993FreeStyle » Fri May 27, 2011 4:46 pm

How is it looking now trunk still there.

cheers alex

TomJ

Post by TomJ » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:48 pm

Tree trunk (no branches visible) is still there but is far to the left and there was a clear line down between the tree and the rock on the right at the entrance

TomJ

Post by TomJ » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:03 pm

Position of the tree as of last weekend:

TomJ

Post by TomJ » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:36 am

Main tree is still in the same position in the fishladder as of yesterday and we pulled out two large branches and a tree trunk which were blocking the entrance to the fishladder, from the look of the the barrier marking the weir there has been a lot of trees coming down recently, however once the trunk and branches were removed we were able to run down as normal.

TomJ

Post by TomJ » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:37 am

Couple of guys from YUCC went down there today and pulled out a load of tree material including a tree blocking the entrance to the fishladder so should be clear now beyond the log on the left hand side.

Rjo103

Post by Rjo103 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:57 pm

As of last week the fishladder is now clear, floods washed out the remaining trunk.

(Shaun also ran the weir hard left, dropping straight into the eddy... River level was just touching the top of the arches under the mill building)

mpooleman

Post by mpooleman » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:37 am

Rjo103 wrote:As of last week the fishladder is now clear, floods washed out the remaining trunk.
At last!!! Good work to the several groups who helped remove bits of the tree as I dont think it would have moved for years as it originally was!
(We spend a day there but I know there were plenty of others who did their bit)

Thanks for letting us know!!
Mark Pooleman

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:14 pm

Anyone know the levels of Linton in relation to the EA gauge at Aldwark Bridge?

I guess it always goes, but would be nice to know levels of playability in relation river height.
Done any NE/NW rivers not on the site? PM me!

once young

Post by once young » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:08 pm

Jim

You are right the fish ladder goes at most levels but the (fairly) new addition of the hydro scheme on the west bank has changed the amount of water down the ladder itself. I will note the gauge and the usability of the ladder over the few months and I will post something. It should be said the outfall of the hydro screw does provide a nice narrow jet for beginners.

Secondly, I note the some of the posts on this guide suggest that if anyone wants you to pay then 'tell them to F---Off'. Well this does not seem to be equitable in my mind.

The chap on the marina side charges a pound or two for use of his land to park a car / launch watercraft. The chap on the lock side charges a bit more, but provides a fair bit more in the way of facilities. It should be noted that the access road on the marina / west side is not good for cars low ride heights!

Both of the guys seem to be happy to see paddlers & both can be flexible on charges for groups ( in the case of the lock ring first).

Also, it should be remembered that the river including the lock and the fish ladder are part of the national waterways network under control of the Canal & River Trust (formally the British Waterways Board), so if you want use the river, the law says you should be licensed. BCU membership provides the license ( well, there is a use for the BCU after all!)

It is understood that enforcement officers are tasked with checking kayak & canoes in that area.

I am not involved in either business, nor do I wish to debate the rights and wrongs of licensing on one of yorkshire's ancient highways (see the bronze age Ferriby Boats or Brigg Boats!)

Happy Paddleing!
The light that shines on me,shines on my neighbour

davidmann

Post by davidmann » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:10 pm

Is the fish ladder sill paddle-able? I've heard that due to the Archimedes screw there's an issue paddling it??? Don't want to waste a journey tomorrow.

cheers, Dave

Rjo103

Post by Rjo103 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:05 pm

It's fine :)

mpooleman

Post by mpooleman » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:07 am

Whilst the ladder is ok to paddle, I would be careful about taking groups with youg kids there as the contractor has left the area in a very poor state.

-The hardcore working area has been left with sharp rock and bits of metal rebar sticking out
-The Archimedes screw casing at the top doesnt tie in properly and they had 'made good' by placing some pedestrian barrier against, but if this is removed then there is a gap that would allow an over inquisitive child to fall in.
-Judging by the rest of the site I wouldnt be surprised if they have chucked all sorts into the ladder, so be careful if swimming in it.

Its a shame that the area has been left in such a poor state as we used to take lots of youngsters there and we simply dont feel is is safe at present, we have made the developer aware and they are helpful saying that they are doing all they can to get it sorted out!!
Mark Pooleman

Rjo103

Post by Rjo103 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:16 pm

Swam it (and climbed behind and up the weir) yesterday. It was lower than I've ever seen it, May be the hydro is having an impact. No tow back along most of the weir, and the ladder very friendly with the top surf wave easy to catch and leave. Didn't find much to worry about swimming it from the second step onwards, although I've never trusted it that much if I'm honest, ever since slicing my hand rolling up against the concrete :/

Mark Gawler
Site Admin

Re: River Ouse - Linton Weir

Post by Mark Gawler » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:56 pm

The Canoe England sponsored webcam is now displayed alongside the Linton Weir guide. It currently isn't visible for mobile devices I need to look at the best way of achieving this on small screens.

If anyone has any updates to the guide please get in touch.
Mark Gawler

stan Lawler

Re: River Ouse - Linton Weir

Post by stan Lawler » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:20 pm

the area is now closed for paddling beacuse of the new white water cause that is being built