River Wye - Ross on Wye to Symonds Yat East

From the Warwickshire Avon in the south, to the Trent in the north
Mark R

River Wye - Ross on Wye to Symonds Yat East

Post by Mark R » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:51 pm

Last edited by Mark R on Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Thompson

Re: RIVER WYE (Ross on Wye to Symonds Yat East)

Post by Mark Thompson » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:00 pm

You can always shorten this journey for younger paddlers or those new to the sport by accessing the wye at Lower Lydbrook. As you approach from Ross on Wye into lower Lydbrook) there are two carparks on the right hand side past the pub on a right hand bend. This provides carparking for approx 15 cars. There is a honesty box here costing £1 for parking and 50p launch, and a older attendent who visits dailey. Money has been used to keep the site looked after a a new footbridge has been installed across a small brook providing easy access from carpark to bank. There is both a concrete step and small slipway and a earth slipway that access river just below a small island rapid that is great for a little poling practice. From here it still takes 2 hours plus to Symonds yat and provide a very scenic and enjoyable journey. its worth noting that there is a section of severial miles where canosits are not allowed to land/ egress and this is signed posted, but after this you can alsways stop and picknic in sisght of the steep wye cliffs.
Mark Thompson
(Outdoor Performance Coaching).

cydermaiden

Re: River Wye - Ross on Wye to Symonds Yat East

Post by cydermaiden » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:58 am

UPDATE ON BOAT TRANSFERS ON RIVER WYE
I did a solo trip down the Wye recently. The service to use if you're planning a trip on the Wye now is KENNY''S TAXIS. He picked me and the boat up in Monmouth, took me to Ross and helped get the boat and the kit down to the launch point, all for £25. The equivalent (non-boat transfer) taxi would have cost £20, but it would have taken much longer to get on the water and I wouldn't have got the help moving the boat. Kenny also transports road and mountain bike - he's an avid cyclist and easily the happiest and most helpful person I've met in ages! His number is 07828 882432; Email kennystaxis@live.co.uk.

shipbadger

Post by shipbadger » Tue May 23, 2017 10:59 pm

According to the sign I saw at Kerne Bridge today, there is now a £2.50 charge to launch your boat, and you must pay to park too. I had been told that the charges were only for commercial operators, but the sign says that commercial operators can get a discount, therefore the charge is for all. We need to fight this, I have been lauching at Kerne Bridge for well over 40 years without hinderance, so a right of access and egress must surely have been acquired?

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:24 pm

http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.