RIVER DERWENT (Darley Dale to Matlock)

From the Warwickshire Avon in the south, to the Trent in the north
Mark R

RIVER DERWENT (Darley Dale to Matlock)

Postby Mark R » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:32 pm

Pete K

Re: RIVER DERWENT (Darley Dale to Matlock)

Postby Pete K » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:11 pm

The most popular site in Derbyshire but sadly little info.

Paddled today from the Matlock Canoe Club steps upstream to the wave by Artists Corner car park and back again to the end of the slalom course.
EA River Level Gauge showed 0.45m http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/riverlevels/120755.aspx?stationId=2103.
I'd rate this as a low level but not a scrape.

We paddled in traditional open canoes & 1 spec boat and apart from the odd rocky bit near the banks and the slalom course it was plenty deep enough for some skills practice and teaching novices. It would of course be a good level for kayaking too.

Next on the list is getting on at Rowsley or from Bakewell on the Wye.

G32turbo

Postby G32turbo » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:33 pm

Hi Pete,

Was that you with the orange van? Was going to stop and say hello but you looked a bit busy. My son has just moved to the Matlock area and mentioned the slalom pole section so I was down there having a look on Saturday. Level looked to be about minimum for a decent run. I'm not that experienced but have run a few North Eastern rivers mainly grade 2 with bits of grade 3. The run didn't look very long. Would you think it's worth hauling my kayak and kit down there next time I visit?

Cheers, Tony

Pete K

Postby Pete K » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:59 pm

Hi Tony, yep it was me with the orange van. Feel free to stop and say hello next time.
A run from Darley Dale to the Slalom Course is a good couple of hours with a bit of play or Artists Corner CP to the Slalom Course for some messing about can take whatever time you want. Both are worth while if your in the area and you can do as many runs on the Slalom as you can be bother to do coz it is an easy carry back to the start (even with an OC/OC1).
As for levels, you could run it a bit lower in a kayak but it gets a bit bumpy for expensive Royalex canoes. When it goes up after rain the features get a bit more meaty.

Drop me a line if you want to do a Darley to Matlock run and need a shuttle sometime, I may be free.

gonzo

Postby gonzo » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:45 pm

Regional guide - Darley Dale to Matlock Bath - empaddlers website

Rjo103

Postby Rjo103 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:01 pm

Anyone out tomorrow (6 April) from Darley Dale to the slalom course? We're heading down about midday and it would be good to meet any locals heading down!

Richard

teddy_simmon

Postby teddy_simmon » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:14 pm

Not a local but heading down on saturday, have you got any insight on what the levels might be at?

Thanks

Matt

Rjo103

Postby Rjo103 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:31 pm

We'll be there tomorrow so I'll try and post an update. It's at 0.64 at the moment which is comfortably above "low" but some way from medium (1m) when things are a bit more bouncy, the slalom course washes out much above this... From the EA graph it looks like it'll hold it's level for some time :)

Rich

Rjo103

Postby Rjo103 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:15 pm

Have fun tomorrow.

Water stayed up around 0.66m, certainly no risk of scraping. Killer Rock on the slalom course was covered enough to camouflage it but not to paddle over it, watch out for it between the symmetrical eddies half way down the slalom course (two lines of rocks either side and several slalom gates between).

There was a good flow from Darley Bridge down to the slalom course, the eddy lines were very defined in places and quite capable of tripping up the unwary. Good fun to be had all the way down, especially at the bridges.

Met a few anglers, all quite polite and happy for us to pass through. One had just caught a trout :)

There are quite a few trees down with some of the arches of the bridges impassable, but there is a route through everywhere when you look for it. The three-arched bridge with trees across the left goes on the right and probably right to left through the middle (didn't try it). There's also a huge tree across the river about half way down from Darley Bridge but it is easily passable on the left (the right has a submerged trunk). A few others in places but nothing to worry about.

Rich

Pete K

Postby Pete K » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:08 am

Can anyone with information about the Upper Derbyshire Derwent please get in touch. I'm looking for safe access and egress points, known hassle spots, fences, play spots, fishing clubs, illegal signs (like the 'Police Notice' ones at Froggatt) and any other useful information that can be collaited together for the benefit of paddlers. I won't go into full details here but anyone who wishes to may contact me for more info.
PS, I'm not interested in any of this 'paddling this river will jepodise access for me and my mate' rubbish that is spouted by some in Derbyshire who should know better.

stiffy

Postby stiffy » Wed May 09, 2012 6:36 pm

Does anyone have any upto date info on this run? Looking for a paddle for a group of 3* paddlers that had planned to go to HPP but they have a competition on at the weekend. Thanks. Cliff. cliff.melhuish@hotmail.com

Pete K

Postby Pete K » Wed May 09, 2012 6:50 pm

Down there today, its at a fine level.

andypagett

Postby andypagett » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:59 pm

Just to add to some of the recent posts in other treads on access here (can they be merged with this, Mark?), our club had a 'run in' with an Angler on the bit probably best described as 'the next rapid up from Artist's Corner wave'.

He was fishing near the run out of the rapid and was not happy when we paddled past him. Shouted at lots of us then got angrier when we did not bite (probably like his fish). Took lots of photos or us (I did not have the cheek to ask if we could have copies for our website), which he 'threatened' to pass on to his fishing club as what we were doing was 'illegal'. Also threatened to report us to Yorkshire County Council (why, when Matlock is in Derbyshire, I have no idea...).

Of course we tried to keep out of his way as much as possible and share the river, but that was not good enough - according to him that stretch of river is strictly for the use of Matlock Angling Club only, and noone else may use it for any other reason. LOL.

Our club have been using that rapid on Thursday nights since God was a lad. It's great for teaching ferryglides etc to beginners as it has nice big eddies and a long flat bit after it for matching up boats, owners etc. More experienced club folk use it for surfing the wave at the top, and practicing tail squirts etc.

damppaddler

Postby damppaddler » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:52 pm

I spoke to the council today about the "no canoeing upstream" & "launching & canoeing downstream of this point only"

I complained that there was a public right of navigation on the river and they had no authority to specify which way we should or shouldn't paddle.

They didn't think the sign was theres, but as it in there car park they have agreed to remove it.

It should take about 2 weeks

I will post back here if it goes

Pete K

Postby Pete K » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:11 am

Well done damppaddler!

Pete K

Postby Pete K » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:04 pm

7 of us paddled a mix of canoe and kayaks from Darley Bridge get on to the slalom course yesterday. No access hassles at all. 0.41m on the gauge, I wouldn't bother any lower.

damppaddler

Postby damppaddler » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:39 pm

damppaddler wrote:I spoke to the council today about the "no canoeing upstream" & "launching & canoeing downstream of this point only"

I complained that there was a public right of navigation on the river and they had no authority to specify which way we should or shouldn't paddle.

They didn't think the sign was theres, but as it in there car park they have agreed to remove it.

It should take about 2 weeks

I will post back here if it goes

This is how the sign looks now - thanks to the lovely people at the council

Pete K

Postby Pete K » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:35 pm

Nice. Now to see about them removing that stupid height barrier so I can get my Transit and open boats in Artists Corner.

damppaddler

Postby damppaddler » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:47 pm

Pete K wrote:Nice. Now to see about them removing that stupid height barrier so I can get my Transit and open boats in Artists Corner.

Do you want me to try my contact at the council to see what can be done?

teddy_simmon

Postby teddy_simmon » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:55 pm

Pete

You may have figured this out but a lot of the time it is left open and as such can just be wheeled open!

If not the guy with the ice cream van has a key and has lent us it before!!

Hope this helps

Matt

Pete K

Postby Pete K » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:08 pm

@damppaddler - The council have lost out on my parking fees for both personal visits and for a minibus and trailer in my professional capacity a lot over the last few years. I've never understood why they have barriers there at all (I mean I know why they are used but why that place and nowhere else nearby?). So yes, if you've a contact in the council I'm sure all Transit driving open boaters and outdoor centres with minibuses would be very pleased to see the barriers opened.
@teddy_simmon - Top tip, I'll check that out!

derekburdett

Postby derekburdett » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:30 am

We got a key a few years ago to artists corner for use on University practical sessions. Council were fine about giving us a copy after we'd filled some paperwork in. I know they've had problems before with travellers moving in to the car park, which is why they have the barrier.

What do people know about the sign at Darley Bridge that the angling club have put up? We are quite conspicuous in the University of Derby minibus, and I don't want any letters about prosecuting us turning up, so asked at The Square and Compass and they are letting us launch from their land as long as we tell them each time. The launching ramp is better below the bridge where the sign is though!

phillips1795

Postby phillips1795 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:44 am

Paddling Darley Dale - Matlock on Sunday with some friends. Am I best giving the square and compass a call to launch from there land at the moment?

Or will I get away with launching the the normal place?

Pete K

Postby Pete K » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:47 am

Launch in the normal place. Nothing has changed and if everyone goes elsewhere we may as well just admit to being in the wrong.

phillips1795

Postby phillips1795 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:47 pm

As expected had no issues, What is the point in them putting that sign up? Did pass some grumpy fisherman on the way down to Matlock which is always a delight :)

RBranston

Postby RBranston » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:26 am

My brother and I are visiting the Peak District the week after next. I have a 2+1 inflatable Sevylor Tahiti boat. I've only been in it a couple of times and we're looking for a suitable place to paddle in the Peak District. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Pete K

Postby Pete K » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:41 pm

Peak Forest Canal and the Cromford Canal.

Wadhamite

Postby Wadhamite » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:12 pm

What's the sitch with paddling this section? Do we have to contact MCC before running it if there's only three of us? Does the slalom course run at lower water levels? I saw some restrictions mentioned til August BH Saturday - we're planning on going on the Sunday, so I'm guessing that's fine...
LV induction guide: http://tmblr.co/ZIurAvTdASgQ

rogersavery

Postby rogersavery » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:40 pm

No restrictions, Matlock Canoe Club don't control the navigation rights!

But if someone is obviously racing a slalom kayak through the gates, give them room

If you want to make it a trip, the best launch is behind the Grouse and Claret at Rowsley, just ask the manager at the bar (with the promise you will be eating/drinking at the pub afterwards)

If you only want the moving water, get on at the artist corner car park (between Matlock and Matlock Bath)

The steps down are at the back of the car park next to 2 posts (there used to be a sign here about not paddling upstream - the sign was removed by the council after I pointed out they didn't have the right to control navigation once on the river)

Wadhamite

Postby Wadhamite » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:34 pm

Thank you, that's great :)
LV induction guide: http://tmblr.co/ZIurAvTdASgQ

Return to “England - Midlands”