River East Lyn - Watersmeet to the Sea

The Somerset Frome and Dorset Stour and westwards
hardy

Re: River East Lyn - Watersmeet to the Sea

Post by hardy » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:24 am

Last weekend i paddled the Lyn both days. No problems Saturday , was nearly 2 on the stop / go gauge at watersmeet.
Sunday 7th October, bit lower , 1-1.5 on the same gauge . On the Brendon section , way after double drop but just above the slides , one of our group answered a beckoning gesture from a fisherman on river left . I realised straight of this was the same guy whom i had an incident with above , and he was giving my mate a hard time , although there was water between them.
I reluctantly resisted the urge to get out and batter him , and pulled our group on through , in the knowledge that my friend was capable of sorting the situation , and having others not used to this sort of thing getting worried about it.

At some point downstream we spoke about it. Apparently the said he pays lots of money , cited agreements etc blah blah.
My friend was polite and acknowledged his complaint, but said we would paddle anyway, and expressed our belief in sharing the river. The fisherman said "If my mates were here i would turn your boats over"!

Quite how we don't know. It was not at a point where scouting usually takes place .
He is of medium height , light coloured hair , middle aged , stocky build . Both times i have seen him he has had kaki trousers and a heavy green jumper on . Basically his attire screams "i am a fisherman".

I would suggest paddlers keep some distance from him . I do not normally carry a camera , and did not have one then.

Paddle on . It is a magical river.

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:16 pm

Some of the boulders have moved in last weekend's floods - the big one on right at first drop in the gorge being potentially the most dangerous as it has reduced the space around the triangular block.

Mike
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

pete thorn

Post by pete thorn » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:21 pm

Be aware of two separate trees across, below the gorge section. On the run out of the gorge there is a technical dog leg corner. Above this there is a trunk across on two boulders, with not much space under it. At the start of the dog leg corner, shortly afterwards, there is a major trunk right across the entrance. Easy portage on the left, provided you spot these in enough time.
The rest of the river clear from Brendon. The stump on the second fall at Rockford has been washed away so now entirely clear.
Pete Thorn

storm

Post by storm » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:06 pm

Trees in gourge all gone,we managed to get them all out,clear run thru now.
Steve

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:44 am

Great work guys, thank you

NattyC

River East Lyn - Watersmeet to the Sea - Dangerous Sieve

Post by NattyC » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:51 pm

Just to let you know that there seems to have been a dangerous change to the first crux rapid in the East Lyn Gorge.

There have been four vertical pins in the last few days:

Each time, the paddler has had their head underwater with a small and intermittent pocket of air with their legs and spraydeck pinned.

This area should be treated with caution:

The first 'crux' rapid begins with a two metre vertical drop which must be run on the right in low water and generates a big backtow on the left in high water, followed by a chute past the left bank. The 7 foot vertical drop which follows must be run to the left of the large boulder mid-stream. The hole before will kick right so be plan for this as you go down the chute. The line to the right of the boulder used to be used as a 'chicken shoot' but something seems to have shifted. This line has now caused too many near misses.

Have fun and stay safe!

pete thorn

Post by pete thorn » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:56 pm

'The Environment Agency is dealing with a serious outbreak of disease among migratory fish in the East Lyn. Two years ago this caused the complete closure of the salmon fishery, where it was estimated over 80% of fish died before they could spawn. Last year again disease was present and very few are thought to have spawned successfully. The EA are asking for our assistance in helping the fishery recover by being sensitive to the river and only paddling in good flows . This equates to 1.50 and above on the EA gauge for Watersmeet down . Avoiding contact with the river bed wherever possible and only using stretches with permitted access agreements will also help. A review process is underway with related agencies aimed at sorting out access issues along the whole river.
Pete Thorn

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:36 pm

For a bit of the local history:
http://www.itv.com/hub/britains-best-wa ... a3365a0013

Mike
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:26 am