River Teign - A382 Bridge to Steps Bridge

The Somerset Frome and Dorset Stour and westwards
Mark R

River Teign - A382 Bridge to Steps Bridge

Post by Mark R » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:02 pm

Last edited by Mark R on Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:56 am

Calire Lake ... 'I paddled the Teign in Feb 07 after some fairly wet weather. At the weir above Fingle Bridge we found a tree across the shoot on river left, totally blocking any use of it.'

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:58 am

Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

CraigRockliffe

Re: RIVER TEIGN (A382 Bridge to Steps Bridge)

Post by CraigRockliffe » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:30 pm

Photos of the 10 foot weir on this section, GR 722896, Showing the river left line at a medium level.

andywalker

Post by andywalker » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:09 pm

Mountain biked along it today and there's a tree all the way across the river just before the weir just above Fingle Bridge.

Would probably be able to get over it at more paddleable levels...but it may collect all sorts of other debris.

Also there's a new footbridge, just above the big weir near the start of the run.

daydoe

Post by daydoe » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:55 am

Paddled this on Sunday, there is no tree in the weir now so we were all able to run it with no problems.

Small issue of meeting a member of the Local fishing club at the Fingle Brodge pub, who asked us if we had access permission to do the run. He was nice enough but does anyone know what the access agreement is for this river?

Denys

Post by Denys » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:59 pm

We were confronted by the fishing club back in February, trying to park in the land by the A382 bridge. To avoid any unpleasantness we left them to it and went and parked at Fingle Bridge instead, then walked back up and got on anyway! When I got home I sent an email to the National Trust, who own most of the land on either side of that stretch, their response is below. So, if you park considerately there should be no problem and if anyone from the fishing club confronts you, tell Adrian Colston about it.
Incidentally, the access permission I requested was to use the 2m strip of land to get from the public footpath onto the river, not to be on the river, obviously he wasn't going to grant that but it was worth a try!!

THE NATIONAL TRUST
for Places of Historic Interest or Natural Beauty
DARTMOOR ∙ HOME FARM PARKE, BOVEY TRACEY ∙ NEWTON ABBOT, DEVON TQ13 9JQ
Telephone 01626 834748 ∙ Fax 01626 834749 ∙ Email adrian.colston@nationaltrust.org.uk ∙ Website http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk

Dear Denys
I am replying to your email of the 23rd February about the situation you faced on the River Teign at Dogmarsh Bridge regarding kayaking. I am the Property Manager for Dartmoor within the National Trust and I am responsible for the land and section of the River Teign in question. I am sorry for the delay in replying but unfortunately your email was not forwarded to me immediately as it was inadvertently sent to other colleagues within the National Trust who are not responsible for the Teign Valley.

I was very sorry to hear about the confrontation you had with members of the Upper Teign Fishing Association. We do indeed lease the fishing along our stretch of the Teign to that fishing club but we have not asked them to challenge kayakers and they should not have done so. I have asked them not to do so again in the future. My sincere apologies.

Issues regarding kayaking on this section of the Teign have been problematic for a number of years. In principle the National Trust is keen to set up an access agreement regarding kayaking, however there have been a number of issues which have arisen which have prevented this from occurring. The one that currently appears intractable regards parking. The Dartmoor National Park Authority, the highway authority and local community have major concerns about the road parking next to Dogmarsh Bridge. Parking is limited and can cause a pinch point on a busy road with poor sight lines. We have in the past suggested providing an additional area of parking in the field where you parked initially but this has been rejected as it is too close to the blind bend on the bridge.

In the past I have been in correspondence with Adam Box, Regional Access Officer of the British Canoe Union regarding these issues on the Teign. As a result of your correspondence I will contact him again and arrange a meeting to see if a way forwards can be found. I will also invite the DNPA to attend this meeting. I really do want to try and solve this ‘problem’.

As you discovered during your visit in February some other river users do not welcome kayaks on the river and as an organisation we need to take their views into account, our national policies are clear though ‘Where fishing rights are in hand there should not be an automatic presumption in favour of fishing as opposed to canoeing’. We try to seek a balance so that all users can enjoy our properties.

I am sorry I am currently not in a position to grant you the access permission you requested at the moment but I will work with the BCU to try and agree something by next October.

Yours sincerely,
www.theoutsideelement.co.uk ...using nature's playground.

Jon_Brown

Post by Jon_Brown » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:30 pm

From the web cam at Fringle Bridge there appears to be something like a small tree trunk across the centre arch. http://www.finglebridgeinn.com/upper_teign/live.php it's a bit clearer if you check the gauge image.Image

AJC Box

River Teign, MAJOR TREE HAZARD Nov 2010

Post by AJC Box » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:00 pm

There is a very substantial tree across the full width of the River Teign approximately 1km below Fingle Bridge. At today's level (0.61 on the EA level at Clifford Bridge http://www.environment-agency.co.uk/hom ... hmentId=40 ) it would be possible to limbo under some sections of the tree, but at higher flows it would present a very serious danger. The river for several hundred metres up-stream has no significant breakout opportunities and for a relatively inexperienced group this obstruction presents a very serious threat. Please be very careful until we have confirmation that it has been removed.

Adam Box
Canoe England Regional Access Advisor.

hedgefro

Teign or Tavy for the weekend ... ?

Post by hedgefro » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:03 pm

Hi all,

Anyone know if the Teign or Tavy are likely to go tomorrow (or any other alternatives!)? Not sure how the EA river level gauges (http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/ho ... ionId=3214 and http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/ho ... ionId=3185) match up to paddle-able/unpaddle-able levels.

Cheers,

Tom

bubbles_jonnybravo

Re: Teign or Tavy for the weekend ... ?

Post by bubbles_jonnybravo » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:14 pm

The Tavy will prob be to low. The lowest I think Ive paddled it is .30 pn the mary tavy gauge. Thats for the lower. The middle and upper neef alot more water.

AJC Box

Post by AJC Box » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:17 pm

Too late for your planned trip today, but for future reference I reckon the Teign is too rocky if the Clifford Bridge gauge is below 0.61m. Today it is 0.55m. Look at
http://www.environment-agency.co.uk/hom ... hmentId=40 for up to date heights. The webcam at http://www.farsondigitalwatercams.com/l ... steignton/ is also useful

Adam Box

hedgefro

Post by hedgefro » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:15 pm

Cheers for the info guys. We guessed both would be too low so went for the Dart ... hopefully we'll get to run them when there is some rain about.

Tom

mattn

Post by mattn » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:53 am

Paddled this section yesterday from A382 bridge to fingle bridge at a low (but not too scrapey) level - about 0.88 on the EA gauge at Clifford bridge, which made for a nice, easy and portage free trip.

However, there are currently trees down in most of the channels where the river splits into several channels, not too far past the big/main weir. It was possible to pass on the far right channel, but this did involve ducking under one tree which was about head-height - would recommend inspecting, especially in higher levels. There was also a similar situation slightly further downstream.

Ollie5

Post by Ollie5 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:17 pm

mattn wrote:Paddled this section yesterday from A382 bridge to fingle bridge at a low (but not too scrapey) level - about 0.88 on the EA gauge at Clifford bridge, which made for a nice, easy and portage free trip.

However, there are currently trees down in most of the channels where the river splits into several channels, not too far past the big/main weir. It was possible to pass on the far right channel, but this did involve ducking under one tree which was about head-height - would recommend inspecting, especially in higher levels. There was also a similar situation slightly further downstream.
We done this stretch about 6 wks ago and trees were the same, its a very nice run well worth a yearly visit, I wouldnt like to do it at a higher level as the trees sneak up on you when you least expect them.

PADWAN1

Post by PADWAN1 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:28 pm

Hello All

We paddled this section over the weekend (14-15/01/2012), in what can only be described as low levels, a few bumps and scraps but still worth the paddle. The EA Gauge at Clifford Bridge was at around the 0.65m – 0.68m marker, which was about 2-3 inches below the stepping stones mention at the confluence. It was a very pleasant paddle as it was a totally new river to us and we wanted to scout it before bringing a group down it.

It is really worth mentioning that on the section below the 10ft weir, there was a river wide tree blocking the river just below the Grd 3 as section mentioned in the guide. In low / very low water you can limbo underneath it, without too much of an issue. HOWEVER in medium to high water it would be a different situation and could be fatal if there was anything caught underneath the tree. The blockage is on a blind corner with very little eddies leading up to it; so care should be taken once you pass through.

As a reference to the water levels, if the small shingle reef (below the stanchion) on the left of the photo, is covered, you are in for a good days paddling. http://www.farsondigitalwatercams.com/l ... steignton/

Stay safe and happy paddling

JJ Splash

Post by JJ Splash » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:19 pm

We paddled this last Friday (15th November.There is a large tree across the river downstream of Fingle Bridge (again). At low water it was possible to shimmy under it on the left, but in higher levels it could be something of a hazard. The trunk was bare, no real branches, but also no real room to manoeuvre.

andy g

Post by andy g » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:15 am

Paddled from A382 Bridge to Cliffords Bridge on Sunday with medium water levels.

Although there are various parts of trees stuck in the gorge section all are passable relatively easily with care.

The only issue is further downstream just before Cliffords Bridge. A tree has come down which blocks all bar a boat-width extreme river right. It was not an issue at this water level; in higher water I suspect you would float over the top , but at lower water it could be more of an problem for the beginners groups/uni fresher trips who might use this river. It is visible from a long way upstream and there is plenty of room to stop an inspect if in any doubt.

Andy

SWPaddler

Re: River Teign - A382 Bridge to Steps Bridge

Post by SWPaddler » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:40 pm

Message from one of our club members.

Between Dogmarsh Bridge and the salmon leap weir on the River Teign is a ruined metal bridge which tends to catch trees. I walked past there today and noticed another tree has become wedged under the bridge. At the moment the river is surprisingly low, but if the water level were to rise this bridge may become impassible. Some kayakers went through this morning, but they felt it could be a problem in a canoe. At the moment you have to duck under another tree to get through.

P00nslayer

River Teign (A382 bridge to Fingle Bridge) Help

Post by P00nslayer » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:16 am

Has anyone paddled this recently and noticed any major hazards?

Any idea what level is "safe" to paddle this at also?

Thanks

jmmoxon

Re: River Teign - A382 Bridge to Steps Bridge

Post by jmmoxon » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:09 pm

The big tree that was above A382 bridge is now wedged across just downstream, but easy to get on below it.

Mike
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

Return to “England - Southwest”