Black Brook - Princetown to West Dart Confluence

The Somerset Frome and Dorset Stour and westwards
Mark R

Black Brook - Princetown to West Dart Confluence

Post by Mark R » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:56 pm

Last edited by Mark R on Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

jmmoxon

Re: BLACK BROOK (Princetown to West Dart Confluence)

Post by jmmoxon » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:21 am

Get on below the road bridge as there is a fence on upstream side. After next stone bridge is another fence that may be possible to duck under (depending on level), shortly after is a wooden footbridge with another fence downstream that has a hole on river right that is just paddler sized (otherwise it reaches the water). A cracking extension to a West Dart trip.

Mike
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:42 am

jmmoxon wrote:A cracking extension to a West Dart trip.
From what I recall, there is little white water and several fences to portage, what makes it a cracking run? I prefer the get in 400m down river form Two Bridges.

Note also it's an important slalom spawning ground, October through February, which the EA have asked us to avoid.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:07 pm

There is plenty of whitewater, Simon - I recommend re-familiarising yourself with it soon when levels are appropriately high, you'll love it.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

hardy

Post by hardy » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:35 pm

A few of us did it in error recently.We limbo'd under the two fences,just,and the footbridge.I can't say it was white water (3rd arch at NB),but walking thru the patchy fog,high on the moor,late in the day;Quietly getting on a fast lonely stretch of water,just the sound of water rushing under the boat,an occasional lamb bleating as it ran up the bank,whoosh of a startled duck or two,hawks hovvering,cows chewing as they watched us go by;Onto the West Dart and the little rapids there,ducking the green tree branches,patchy sunlight filtering through as we dropped down the valley;Steepening,flowing faster,boofing holes and playing waves;We saw no other people at all,and barely spoke to each other.Warm evening sun as we got out at Dartmeet to an empty carpark.The only drawback was that i drew the shortstraw and had to run back to the car.Happily,a local farming couple pulled over and took me right to it.

Great.Be a shame if it got spoilt,but it is a lovelly run.

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:01 pm

Like.

Mike
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

Return to “England - Southwest”