RIVER BREDE

Hampshire Avon drainage and eastwards, with the Nene as the northern limit
Mark R

RIVER BREDE

Post by Mark R » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:34 pm

Echobravo

Re: RIVER BREDE

Post by Echobravo » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:19 pm

A paddle of the River Brede on 30 November 2015 in very strong winds and occasional rain.

Put in on river right at Breed Bridge on the A28. Very slippery and muddy following the heavy rain.

A narrow channel river without many features but ideal to paddle in winter months as no weed as mentioned by others. With strong SW winds I was assisted with. Tails wind that helped me along at around 4.7 knots on some occasions. The nature of the river in a deep channel protected me for most of the paddle.

The river winds down stream with the odd duck and heron to keep you company. Be warned just upstream from Float Farm is a small weir, barely seen on the OS Explorer. You can just manage to get out on river right just up from this and re-enter down stream of the obstruction. Be prepared to get very muddy!!

The rest of the paddle was fine with better scenery and wildlife further downstream with more herons and kingfishers.

The paddle ends at Brede Sluice. A small slipway near the sluice on river left offers a way out of the otherwise steep banks and privately owned properties. Not sure who owns access (think EA) but no one stopped me. Not the easiest exit, again very muddy and slippery!

Overall a decent paddle of around 15km taking 3 hours in a Perception Essence 16ft.

The Paddle took 3 hours the cleaning of kit a further hour :-)