Waterproof car seat covers any recommendations!

Inland paddling
Wavesportzg54

Waterproof car seat covers any recommendations!

Post by Wavesportzg54 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:02 pm

Ok, this is gona get laughs, but when your shuttling between rivers trying get two or three in a day, and you're jumping in the car in your cag or drysuit your car gets wet.

Problem i find is everytime i buy so called (waterproof) seat covers they turn out to be more water resistant and end up soaking my seat anyway...

So can anyone please recommend a good site or brand as net searches turn up sites that all say waterproof but i bet they're not really...

Sorry for the rant! plz help!

Mike M

Post by Mike M » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:13 pm

Spooky !! Had exactly the same thought this morning after seeing yet another "water mark" on my seat today after last nights paddling trip. Based on personal experience discount Halfords & Argos and look further afield. The discussion i had today was what do farmers,builders,civil engineers etc use on their seats ?

I have tried "tinterweb" for waterproof seat covers but unless you can actually see them i'm not going to be convinced. Surely someone must have bombproof seat covers ?
Born to paddle................forced to work.

Big Henry

Post by Big Henry » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:24 pm

A couple of heavy duty bin bags?

chrisps

Post by chrisps » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:58 pm

I use "ActionSport" ones from Halfords. I doubt that they are fully waterproof, but what I have done is cut some holes in old beach towels and I hang them off my head restraints, under the covers and it works a treat :).

For truely waterproof seat covers, you probably need to try Land Rover, but beware, they arent cheap!

benlove

Side airbags...

Post by benlove » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:09 pm

Can you get w/proof covers that work with side airbags?
I have seen some decent looking heavy duty covers in Mole Valley so farm shops anywhere may be a good place to look?

Ben

chrisps

Post by chrisps » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:49 pm

The action sport ones I use are SRS airbag compatible. When I was looking, that was the main problem; hardly any of them are. I guess you could make them airbag compatible by cutting holes out of the side of them, but I am not sure where you would stand if there was a problem with the airbags in a crash and it resulted in injury

cookie

Post by cookie » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:03 pm

Poundland. They call them seat covers but are really just a blue square sheet of the same stuff Ikea bags are made off. I bought a few of them and have mutiple uses. Keeps the seats dry doing shuttles and use as changing matt then line the car to put playboat on. Sorted.
Lee
The lights are on and burning brightly. Shame about the power cut.

chriscw

Poundland

Post by chriscw » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:17 pm

Yes I have the poundland ones too they seem quite good. You could always get two covers one to use when you are wet and one to use when you are dry...
Chris Clarke-Williams
Location Basingstoke

Paddling Interests:
Touring, Coaching Beginners (I am an L2K), Surf White water trips, Weir Play (I'm not good enough to put freestyle!)

DJM

Post by DJM » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:03 pm

Special at Pets At Home. £7
They work for me

andyhurford

Post by andyhurford » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:40 am

http://www.carseatcovers.co.uk/MainCarCare.shtml

I use these (made for side air bags), they were definitely waterproof when new, after about 2 years it's probably best to dry out the puddle left as it will eventually soak through - but still more than good enough for shuttling.

I found the Halfords Action Sport ones didn't work for me at all!

Steve C

Post by Steve C » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:07 am

andyhurford wrote:http://www.carseatcovers.co.uk/MainCarCare.shtml

I use these (made for side air bags), they were definitely waterproof when new, after about 2 years it's probably best to dry out the puddle left as it will eventually soak through - but still more than good enough for shuttling.

I found the Halfords Action Sport ones didn't work for me at all!
I'll second these. They're probably quite pricey but pretty much custom made for each car make / model. A mate got them as he paddles and had a couple of dogs and they worked a treat. So good in fact he just kept them on all the time.

Steve
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

rafiki

Post by rafiki » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:45 am

Go to Timber merchants, B&Q or somewhere like that, everytime they have a delivery a crate is wrapped in heavy duty plastic which they usually just cut off and throw away. If you ask nicely they may cut it off so you have large enough pieces to put on your seats, COMPLETELY WATERPROOF AND FREE!
and recycling into the bargain.

They don't fold away that small but I usually just keep them all in the footwell behind the drivers seat. A waterproof blanket and karrimats also work well.

spot the student

PC

Post by PC » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:56 am

I use these now:

http://www.care4car.com/productdisplay/ ... l_Fit.html

They've been very good to date.

I second the comment about the Halfords ones which merely filter the water onto my seat...

Paul

Jack Butcher

Post by Jack Butcher » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:35 pm

For bombproof seat covers try "Tough Covers" 100% waterproof agricultural seat covers I have black prob best colour avaiable from them? about £15 each. got mine from Mole Valley Farmers on Heathfield industrial estate, just off A38 at Bovey Tracey, Devon. No leaks in 2 years, very strong, and fit well enough to leave them on and they don't look too silly. hope this helps ;-)

aleeivel

Post by aleeivel » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:48 pm

What's wrong with black dustbin bags ;-)
Andy Lee
www.thecanoeclub.com

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
-----------
With democracy, it's your vote that counts; with feudalism - it's your Count that votes.....

Performance Kayaks

Post by Performance Kayaks » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:29 pm

We sell Town and Country Seat Covers. Real Heavy Duty.

http://www.townandcountrycovers.com/veh ... overs.html

They do have some custom ones and also ones that are Seat Airbag compatible.

Jack Butcher

Post by Jack Butcher » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:33 pm

Nothing wrong with bin bags, just nice to get the best kit you can, is it not?

mattkp

Post by mattkp » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:22 pm

I second the Town and Country seat covers, top quality kit never an issue. I needed the air bag compatible ones and they fit fine, look smart too so no need to take em off.

Matt

Ed Lefley

Post by Ed Lefley » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:15 pm

7 year old car with leather seats?

Candat

Re: Waterproof car seat covers any recommendations!

Post by Candat » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:48 pm

I apologize for bumping this old topic, but I have done quite a bit of research on this, so I want to share my experience.
If you cover the leather seats, you still need to take care of them. Keep them from drying out, avoid placing pressure on the bolsters (seat covers do nothing for that), protect them from sharp objects. Wipe them with a quality leather treatment at regular intervals. I am not sure what the time period is, I have a detailing service that takes care of my vehicles. They keep track of when the leather needs treatment and ensure it is applied timely.

I think the reason people find this question so puzzling is the covers may keep your seats looking nice, but they will be covered. You will not see them and will not know whether they look nice. Your passengers will not know whether they look nice and in fact are likely to assume they are damaged or discolored which is the reason most people instal seat covers. This seems akin to covering the walls of your home with protective paper for the entire time you live there, to keep the paint looking nice and new for the people who buy your home in 50 years, or for your heirs. Of course all that time you get the pleasure of knowing there are very nicely finished walls underneath all that paper.

Do you actually plan to re-sell your vehicle after 15 - 20 years? Most vehicles are ready for the hopper by that time. Perhaps you purchased a vehicle destined to be a collectible classic. Covering the seats on a rare vehicle would seem to make sense, but it would make even more sense to just store the vehicle in a garage and protect all of it rather than just the seats.

I keep rather large and very slobbery canines. I keep them well groomed and their nails are trimmed. When they ride in my vehicles, I place a very large heavy blanket used for covering horses while they cool off over the seat. That works fine. Note: I do not use horse blankets that have been used for horses, only new clean blankets that would otherwise be used to cover a hot horse during the cool off period.

I am told you need to be wary of cheap seat covers. The buckles can come loose and then you sit on them and damage your leather seats. Also if the seat cover becomes damp for any reason you need to remove it until it and the leather seat is completely dry and clean. You need to check the seat covers regularly to determine whether they may have gotten damp without you knowing. Otherwise the seat cover can destroy your leather seats by trapping moisture against the leather. Finally I am told you do not ever want to cover only one seat. If you do, the seats will fade unevenly and will appear mismatched. You may also find after keeping the seats covered for 15 - 20 years they no longer match the other leather covered items in the vehicle and will appears as though they are replacement seats that do not belong in the vehicle. It was suggested if you want to keep all components of the interior of your vehicle matching, you remove the seat covers while the vehicle is parked so the seats will fade equally with the other components of the interior. You can re-install the seat covers when you return to your vehicle. Since you are not in your vehicle more oft than you are present in it, you should be able to ensure the seats fade equally with all other parts of the vehicle and will continue to match the interior.

feedbackproblem

Post by feedbackproblem » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:24 pm

Keep an eye on the middle aisle at Aldi, they sell cheap heavy duty waterproof seat covers from time to time.

andynormancx

Post by andynormancx » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:03 pm

We had a Passat with black leather seats. It went through 5 years of frequent kayak related abuse.

We made no effort to protect, clean or treat them over that time. They regularly got wet gear dumped on them (though we do try and put the damp stuff in the boot most of the time). They almost always had sand/mud on them somewhere.

We frequently jumped into it wearing our wet gear and drove 30 minutes home.

Despite this, a quick vacuum and wipe with a damp cloth had them looking good as new (excluding a small patch of wear on the drivers side bolster).

I'm hoping the black leather seats in our Skoda Superb fare as well.

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:28 pm

This whole thread has me slightly confused.

If trying to keep seats clean dry, so you are not sitting on a sponge all the way back home, then anything, bin bag, towels, floor matts etc will work well enough.

If looking to protect the leather from actual damage, then I wouldn't worry that much – as post above says, seats are pretty resilient.
dave

Franky

Post by Franky » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:12 pm

Big sheet of tarpaulin from B&Q works for me. It's very thick, and properly "fitted" it can cover a front seat and both back seats. As the driver, I sit on the curtain offcut that my Jackson playboat came wrapped in.

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:11 pm

DaveBland wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:28 pm
This whole thread has me slightly confused.
To avoid being confused, you simply have to realise that candat has some personal agenda to rant about care of leather seats and has accidentally found the thread from an internet search and has created an account and leapt in without even attempting to read the whole thread or find out what it is about or what the connection with leather seats even is, i.e. they are an alternative to putting a waterproof cover on a fabric seat...
Presumably he or she is mainly targetting car forums.

andynormancx

Post by andynormancx » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:06 pm

Ah yes, they are linking through to their site with Amazon affiliate links. They've been posting the same text to forums since at least 2014:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/automoti ... ats-3.html
http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 2&start=10