Expd' cooking, recipies and outdoor ovens - opinions please!

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
gym wear

Post by gym wear » Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:41 pm

As I seem to be spending more and more time outdoors the issue of food never seems to be far away and after sepnding some time last summer in Norway and eating such dishes as fresh mussles in white wine while on multi day trips I find more and more appealing.

Just trying to find out what experiences others have had cooking / camping from a kayak? Has anyone out there made an oven that works and if so how?

Also after knowing how to make bread and other such delights that would make a brilliant sea or river trip even better.

Whats the most exciting thing anyone has cooked out of doors?

opinions please!

Bothy Ben

Post by Bothy Ben » Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:28 pm

Whit's wrang wi a pot noodle? There's sae many varieties ye could be awa for a fortnicht and never have twa deeners the same!!
Bothy Ben

Mark R

Sacla forever

Post by Mark R » Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:09 am

Easy and really tasty meal in five minutes - even I can do this...

1]Buy nice fresh tortellini in a packet from the supermarket.
2] Boil for the paltry 4 minutes it requires.
3] Drain and stir half a jar of one of these through. I recommend the olive and tomato.
4] Enjoy.

-----------Mark Rainsley

Mark R

Re: Expd' cooking, recipies and outdoor ovens - opinions ple

Post by Mark R » Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:19 am

Oh...and whilst my wife and I were sea kayaking in British Columbia last summer, this was our menu for one evening.

-----------Mark Rainsley

Mike Buckley

Grub

Post by Mike Buckley » Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:33 am

The Scouts and Guides do a lot of "camp oven" cookery - the Aussies seem to as well and the yanks too. A Google search "Camp Oven" will produce numerous links to all!

See also www.wavelengthmagazine.com/meals.php for wealth of o/doors recipies.

I'd agree with Marks suggestions!! Excellent.

For a nice sauce for those mussels you've scrounged, try a little olive oil, a little cream cheese, some garlic - to get it all to bind and thicken, a small quantity of instant soup mix does the job. Add a suitable quantity of whisk(e)y - Jummy.

Pancakes, drop-scones, bannocks etc can all be made on a griddle.

But camp-ovens and griddles are big, heavy and bulky to cart around.

The very best outdoor cookery experience had to be a salmon in BC - the fish was filleted by cutting from the dorsal side (back) which left both sides "hinged/joined" by the belly.

This was then placed in a cedar stick about a meter maybe slightly more long, which had a split in it. THe fish was secured with a series of thin cedar strips so the end result resembled a tennis racket.

The stick was then stuck vertically in the ground beside the embers of what had been a large cedar fire and turned every 20 mins or so. After 45 to 60 mins the jobs done and it is absolutley magnificent!

Sadly, the lack of cedar in Scotland makes the job a bit difficult to replicate, and the cedar added to the taste. Not worth the effort with mackrel for example, just fillet and fry or grill.

Mike.

NickB

Post by NickB » Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:59 am

Make sure you take some flour (wholemeal is probably best) mix with a little salt and water into a good dough, roll out using the wine bottle or beer can you will also have handy. Then cook for a few seconds either side in a hot pan, voila Chapatis.

Use to wrap around freshly caught and fried mackerel (also dipped in flour prior to frying) strips and maybe include some dried chilli flakes for good measure.

elvishimselvis

Dressing for dinner

Post by elvishimselvis » Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:21 pm

I hope too that you have spared a thought of what you will be wearing while enjoying these recipees.

At Poole Harbour Canoe Club we wouldn't even think of stopping to eat without our black ties and dinner jackets

http://blurredfocus.co.uk/photos/soiree ... /page2.htm