GPS & Charts

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Jim

GPS & Charts

Post by Jim » Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:12 pm

I've searched through previous discussions but have not been able to track down an answer yet. Has anyone tried to use electronic charts on a GPS on paddling trips, with any success? Any comments from those who have thoughts about it, or perhaps tried?

I'm currently using a combination of handheld GPS and OS map & chart for land based planning, and whilst on the water. The combination seems fine. However, I'm wanting to see if I can use waymarking on longer trips, including changing things during legs & crossings, and it would seem that using a chart within the GPS would make this easier.

Interested in people's views.

Chris S

GPS & Charts

Post by Chris S » Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:41 pm

"...it would seem that using a chart within the GPS would make this easier."

I don't have practical experience but I think the most viable system would be a hand-held pc (which can be loaded with electronic maps/charts) with a wireless link (Bluetooth) to a GPS.

There are a couple of major problems though: waterproof and sufficiently rugged handheld pcs don't seem to be available; and battery life for hand-held pcs is too short - just a few hours, not nearly enough to cover a day trip.

The Uniden Mystic is an integrated mapping gps and dsc vhf radio. A brilliantly specced bit of kit but it doesn't appear to be certified for UK use.

savege

re. GPS & Charts

Post by savege » Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:07 am

mmm. I've also been using the combination of PDA/Palm and GPS, which has been ok, but not really viable for on-the-water work; ok for planning and plotting legs the night beforehand. What I'm trying to get to is a system where you have one 'simple' bit of kit on the deck that you can use easily whilst paddling.

Matt

GPS, Charts etc....

Post by Matt » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:32 pm

A potential solution...
I use a Toshiba e740 PDA with CFcard GPS. This model has 2 expansion slots - one for the GPS unit, the other for a memory card with large map files on it.
You can also buy battery expansion packs for this model which can give up to 22hrs continuous power. So far this has been more than enough for days out on the water/in the hills.
At present I use an AquaPac case - not ideal but good enough for calm days. For the complete waterproof solution, how about the Otterbox Armor 3600
www.otterbox.com/product....03&code=NA

On a similar theme, an interesting feature of the Admiralty digital coastal waters charts from Maptech is the realtime tidal flow indications these charts can apparently provide...
Has anybody any experience of these charts/software?
Are they worth the £100 per region?

Chris S

GPS, Charts etc....

Post by Chris S » Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:48 pm

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISA...13693&rd=1 but be careful - I have not seen anything suggesting that this is certified for use in the UK. It should work here though...

sub5rider

Re: GPS, Charts etc....

Post by sub5rider » Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:39 am

Jim - My Magellan Meridian has crude in built maps that show coastline in reasonable form when the display scale is set to 1km. Set higher than this and it suffers from "jaggies". It also has the abilty, via an (sd?) memory card to swap primary function, ie land or sea based. If the latter is selected and the marine basemap* loaded** then all (UK at least, I think it covers norther Europe) nav marks are included, with their abbreviated details. It shows islands, but not all drying rocks. Pootled about the sound of Harris with it at low water and all the rocks we passed were marked. However the Guru and I were lurking around a perch marking one of the channels thro' the Sound which was most definately the opposite colour to that indicated on the GPS ..... :eek

*Available for download from an internet connection near you....

**Not _that_ straightforward, it has it's own mickey-mouse file system, a bit of computer savvy is needed
Nigel, aka Sub5Rider, Onioneer

Jim

Re: GPS, Charts etc....

Post by Jim » Wed Jul 14, 2004 6:48 pm

I suppose you could use an emap type thing if the resolution is any use. I've used my PDA + etrex for navigating a car round seattle but with all the leads and vulnerability of PDA I won't be trying this at sea!

JIM
(The real one)

adrian j pullin

GPS

Post by adrian j pullin » Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:01 pm

The FastCat from Cherbourg to Poole had CRT screens all round the passanger compartments showing GPS position and a tracking chart which zoomed in as you got close to port. Brilliant. Kept me entertained better than any video!

Might not fit in a kayak though.

Matt O

GPS Charts on ferries

Post by Matt O » Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:06 pm

Some of the Caledonian MacBrayne ferries also have this... Great viewing if you can't see anything outside (for example Uig to Lochmaddy in thick fog!)
Not so implausible in a kayak with a PDA, showing admiralty charts on the screen....
It could even warn you that you are about to hit a rock/run aground on a sandbank before it happens, just in case you forget to look where you are going while busily concentrating on the screen...
Hey maybe one day we could even get a satnav autopilot feature especially for sea kayaks!!!?
Joking aside, it is all good fun and a great 'toy'.