Knoydart

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Mark R

Knoydart

Post by Mark R » Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:34 am

My wife and I were fighting to the death over whether we go paddling or walking at the end of the month.

We reached a ceasefire when we realised that we could compromise and use the kayaks to transport us to a walking-type place.

Just throwing vague ideas into the wind here, but...one idea is to load up the sea kayaks with jelly beans and head into Knoydart for a few days or more, establishing base camp there and doing 'walks' whatever that involves.

Any thoughts? Been there? Other possibilities?

-----------Mark Rainsley

MikeB

Visitors!

Post by MikeB » Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:56 am

Well, here's a man who's been there - www.bolton-sfc.ac.uk/bolt...art/index1 - no experince personally.

Another option for you - head for Loch Sheil - either from the South West end (which I think is prettier) or from the North West (which is more majestic) and use the boats to access the hills in the area.

Rather nice hotels at either end - especially the NE at Glenfinnan and you could paddle to the lawn of the Glenfinnan Hotel - - - - -

(Maybe a thought if sea conditions bother you once you get all the way up here)

Mike.

apage

Re: Knoydart

Post by apage » Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:47 am

Mark, Get yourself over to Jura- you'll love it. Fantastic sea kayaking and fantastic walking and its packed with wildlife and fascinating geology.
Youve got tide races if you want them, raised beaches, caves and natural arches, otters, seals, eagles and a few deer. Oh and the Paps of Jura, plus youll probably have them all to yourself. If you dont fancy paddling over- you can stick your kayaks on the ferry. - Tony

Douglas Wilcox

Re: JURA

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:09 pm

I totally agree with Tony, Knoydart will be heaving with Munroists and Barrisdale will be a tented village. You can however camp on several places to the NW of Barrisdale. Ladhar Bheinn is more of a scramble than a walk.

I love Jura and will try to post a photo of one of the raised beaches in Loch Tarbert tonight. Other wildlife on Jura includes adders which will be awakening from hibernation on a hot day at this time of year.

If you have trolleys and dont mind the effort of overlanding on a rough track from Tarbert to Loch Tarbert you can cross from Keillmore on the mainland to Tarbet on the east of Jura in about 1.5 to 2 hours depending on wind and tide. In an ebb tide you could also launch from further north at Carsaig bay but make sure you time your return for a flood.

View from Keillmore:
www.gla.ac.uk/medicalgene..._42soj.jpg

Sadly I have some family responsibilites this weekend (I get out so very little) so I will not be on Jura but I am taking the kayaks so I hope to get out a little
Douglas :o )

MikeB

Jura

Post by MikeB » Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:55 pm

Jura is FANTASTIC! I posted this summary of our Easter trip on another thread, so apologies if its only a "repeat" of what you've read 8) - there are some things to take account of - also consider using the local boat drivers to act as water-taxi as an alternative to Cal Mac. We used Duncan of Farsain Cruises out of Croabh Haven. Great fun.

It was STUNNING - full trip report in due course, once I get round to it and all the pics are in - we took a Water-taxi run from Craobh Haven (across to Craighouses which saved a nasty boring crossing and (more importanlty) positioned cars at the "end" - only a little more expensive than using Cal Mac to get to Jura and having to position cars if you dont return to the start, but that was split between 5 of us.

Weather on the Friday not good (strong NW'ly) so a nice afternoon paddle up the Sound of Islay, a bit of a slog into the wind and against tide - good campsite found with plenty of wood and half decent water but not much shelter - next day on round Jura, overnighting in a nice bay at the entrance to Loch Tarbert. Stunning coastline, not for the fainthearted in anything other than good weather though as it is exposed to the prevailing SW'ly and there isnt much to stop the swell and waves.

At that point two of the party in a double decided they needed "out" the next day (cold and windy - new lady paddler who had done really well, but was suffering the cold - coming from Arizona three days earlier probably hadnt helped)- anyway, they went up Loch Tarbert and portaged across to Sound of Jura from whence Farsein came and got them - ace! Mobile phones are such great inventions. They said the run up was wonderful and the narrows at the head were great. The portage is rough! Trolley job for sure.

Three of us carried on up the coast - it is fantastic - but, dont be there if its nasty as landings are limited and the coastline is rocky, cliffs, and skerries. A short day as we found a fantastic campsite and lay in the sun enjoying life, doing Timotei impressions in the waterfall and generally chilling.

Sunday saw us heading up the sound, well out in the middle heading for Scarba - 17 kms open paddling - wonderful coast - aiming to avoid the Corry - we came over towards Scarba a little early and found to our slight concern that there is a very nasty race off the SW of Scarba which sucks you into the Corry :eek Which wasn't what we wanted, seeing as how we had nearly 3 hours before the bottom of the tide!

Beware of it - its not on the chart - if you try this at home, stay well out until well up beside Scarba!! The tidal stream atlas does show it - we found later - ho hum.

Fortunately we were able to eddy out and managed to get ashore to wait for an unplanned run thro the Corry close to Scarba, which we eventually did in the last hour. Dont count on being able to land though as it is a seriously sharp bit of coast and you wont do it except in calm conditions, even then its far from easy and getting a loaded double off the water and onto the rocks would have been a struggle.

The Corry was a fast, bouncy grade 3 river but not somewhere to foul up and you do have to get the timings right. There isnt a lot of time between flows (like none!) and the remains of the East going ebb was just right. Being candid, we were lucky - if we hadnt been able to land, we'd have probably had little choice other than to transit the Corry at a less than ideal time! A lesson learned.

Up to Scarba for a nice camp and then launched into a blustery 4/5 which made crossing the Sound to the mouth of Loch Melfort just a bit interesting, especailly with the tide flooding! We tucked into Shuna Sound for a bit of shelter and then crossed at the top end back to CH, another "interesting" crossing, but at least we only had a quartering sea and not a full-on beam sea.

Especially interesting as the local boats just will not give way - I so hate sitting holding station in a big sea while some fishing boat makes my life difficult.

Enjoy - but check the weather and the tides. VHF coverage is non-existant until about half way up the West side, going North. I couldnt get reception until Shian Bay, and then only just got the forecast while standing on top of one of the raised beaches. By Corpach Bay it was reasonable on the water. Mobiles not reliable in the Sound of Islay but generally ok (Vodaphone) on the outside of Jura, but not up into Loch Tarbert.

Only one camp without wood or water, all the rest had both although wood was a bit limited. A saw helps.

Mike.

Douglas Wilcox

Re: Jura

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:01 pm

You want space?

JURA!

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon May 10, 2004 9:53 pm

Presumably this has passed now, but I might comment:

Did you read my Easter report which I sent you - some of the Logistics should have come out in that. (I know you did).

The paddle round to Loch Hourn, or the drive right round to it are both fairly long, and as I reported the campsite/bothy at barrisdale is miles from the beach, and as Douglas says it will be heaving.

However, our aborted trip into Loch Nevis is what you need to plan to do. Start in Morar (there are other places but Morar is beautiful, although Arisaig is more so), round the coast to Mallaig and into the entrance to Loch Nevis. Make a short (1/2 mile or something) crossing to the North side of the mouth of Loch Nevis and cruise round to Glaschoillie and or Inverie probably passing a large seal colony. You could camp near Inverie (the highlanders don't mind you wild camping quite close to "civilisation" usually, or continue up Loch Nevis and find a wilder spot. If you can get roughly opposite Ardintigh peninsula (Tom McCleans place) there is a hike you can do up to an old mica mine - I think it's the only one anywhere! If you really want to go for it you could paddle right up to the head of loch Nevis and stay at Sourlies bothy and head for Sgurr na Ciche and the likes from there, or camp wild just short of there. Don't forget to check out the seal launch rocks just on the inner side of the kyles where I plummetted about 30 feet in my spud (apparantly) whilst waiting for the tide race to build (it was nothing serious, barely grade 2 at best).

JIM

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Mon May 10, 2004 10:04 pm

Ardintgh and Sgurr na Ciche

Douglas

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Mon May 10, 2004 10:16 pm

Current state of play is that we're going to play it by ear and see how the weather an inclination take us. All of the above are possibilities, especially the Sound of Jura and Skye's coast.

-----------Mark Rainsley

apage

JURAhhhhhhhh

Post by apage » Tue May 11, 2004 8:12 am

Went for a paddle in the new Quest around Jura at the weekend - breathtaking.
Ill try and post some pictures if I can work out how to.
Left from Carsaig on Friday morning and took the tide down the Sound of Jura (couldnt spot that "nasty boring bit" MikeB reffered to) and into the Sound of Islay. Then caught the flood up to the first nights camp on the North shore of Loch Tarbert. On Saturday paddled up the North coast and made it through the Corry against the peak flood (this was suprisingly easy using the eddies and short bursts of hard paddling). We landed on the smaller of the 2 Islands in the Corry and I got a whole series of digital pictures of the tide race and standing waves- Douglas how do you join your images together so seemlessly? Ive had a go with photoshop- but always get the joins (any advice- please). We camped at the other side of the Gulf on Saturday night then paddles back to Carsaig on Sunday morning. The 115kms wern't enough for Gavin and so he decided to get back to the now visible car via Danna, loch Sween and Tayvallich (this is one greedy man!). I lay in the sun on an Island in Carsaig bay trying to let my arms recover and removed the Jura ticks from my legs.
Encountered lots of wildlife- seals, porpoises, otters, adders, eagles and deer (lots of deer) and ticks (no midges).
Ps. like the Quest- alot.- Tony

Douglas Wilcox

Re: JURAhhhhhhhh

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Tue May 11, 2004 8:32 am

Hi Tony,

Wow what a trip!

I use special software to stitch the images, its one of those you need to register against the computer chip's serial so its definitly not shareware, but if you email the original images I will stitch them for you, did you see the ones I did of your winter photos in Arran

www.gla.ac.uk/medicalgene..._arran.jpg

www.gla.ac.uk/medicalgene...n_rosa.htm

To paste pictures into ezeboard you need to be a registered user and log in. You also need to have space on a webserver somewhere. If you do not have space let me know and I will stick them on our space.

Totally green, though I did have rather a good weekend myself! Glad you like the Quest!
Douglas :)

apage

Re: JURAhhhhhhhh

Post by apage » Tue May 11, 2004 8:46 am

Douglas, I Like what youve done to the goatfell picture.
Ill send the pics to you tomorrow. I ve got a complete panorama of the corry from Scarba (Ebb) from last year's trip that I'll also send you. And as I said, Ive got the complete panorama from Eileen Beag (Flood). Ive also got some late evening pictures of the WLT raised beaches and a nice shot of our campsite adder coilded and ready to pounce.
Glad to hear you had a good trip up to SKye. I used to have some of that very coral from the beach in my aquarium at home (only a little bit on the surface). Cheers Tony

Douglas Wilcox

Re: Corry ebb

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Tue May 11, 2004 9:34 am

Here is a pic from my yachting days 20 years ago:

the Corry in ebb, you can see the islands Tony mentioned: accessible!

Douglas
:o )

MikeB

Corry ebb & flood

Post by MikeB » Tue May 11, 2004 5:47 pm

Grand picture Douglas - illustrates the water conditions fairly graphically I'd say! :x

Tony / others - out of interest, what would the recommendations be for transitting the Gulf? We went thro West to East on the ebb, close to the Scarba shore - which works well.

Did you go thro on the Jura side against the flood, at what stage of the tide?

What about East to West?

Looking forward to those pics. Clearly we need a "Quest Apprecaition Society" as well - -

Mike.

apage

corry

Post by apage » Tue May 11, 2004 10:14 pm

Mike, We have only been through the corry on a couple of different ocassions and tide states, all have been relatively straightforward with light winds.
I would say the most straightforward is to go West to East and take the Jura shore, we went against the flood at the weekend (around peak) and we were suprised by how straightforward it was, certainly by keeping well into the shore and paddling hard at a few sections. We only planned to see how far we could get and originally planned to camp in the loch and go through on the ebb in the morning.
Going with the ebb from this direction and shore would be fine as well. Ive also tried to go West to East against the flood at the Grey dogs and the corry was much easier than that.
We have also gone from West to East from the Scarba side during the Ebb, again this was straightforward and we crossed over into the fairway- just big fast and bouncy. I think from the Scarba side you really want to get well out to miss the sharp eddies and whirlpools If you are going West-East with the flow. We've also gone from East to West from the Scarba end- this was a bit more tricky due to the sea state, we went against the last of the ebb, and found an opposing eddy to push us through. There was some really boily/lumpy features half way through. I think this direction E-W would be much easier approached from the Jura end.
Off course all this is absolutely meaningless if you have a strong wind or swell to contend with- then I wouldn go near the place! Even in calm weather it has an unreal feel to it.. Tony

Douglas Wilcox

Re: corry

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Tue May 11, 2004 10:58 pm

Thanks for the advice Tony, I am still plucking up courage to give it a go at neap slack water!

I have been through several times in a 36 foot yacht with a thumping great diesel. We kept to the middle where the water was very interesting. Going east to west either against the last of the ebb or the first of the flood was scarier as you never were quite sure what the seas would be like on the exposed side when you were setting off from the shelter of the Sound of Jura. For that reason a lot of yachts choose to go through east to west against the start of the ebb (WtoE) as if the seaward end is too nasty you can turn and run back with the current.

The owner of the above yacht was very mean with diesel, he liked to buy no more than a gallon a season. Once it took us a week to drift from Loch Scavaig down to Tobermory, BUT he always fired up the diesel for the Corry.

Your comment, Tony, is absolutely right there is an atmosphere, awesome, powerful even threatening.

Douglas

Douglas Wilcox

Tony's corry panorama

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Wed May 19, 2004 9:53 pm

Here is Tony's Panorama, Tony could you check the time on your camera and how it relates to real time? Then we could relate it to the tidetable.
Douglas

Mike Buckley

Re: Tony's corry panorama

Post by Mike Buckley » Thu May 20, 2004 1:53 pm

Pretty pic - my concern would be that it shows what looks like a flattish bit of water, with some movement. Time comparison will be helpful. But there isnt much between the tides and the water moves fast, even just after the turn.

THis is a big bit of water, with a lot of fast movement, a lot of it up and down, round and round, swirly and whirley :eek

At least coming inward, West to East, on ebb you'll (hopefully) end up in the Sound of Jura as you mention Douglas. The outward trip would be far more worrying.

Mike.

apage

Time

Post by apage » Sun May 23, 2004 1:31 pm

Douglas- Im stuck over in Switzerland- hence the delayed replay. The time on the camera is correct, but is set to GMT not BST. We went through around 4pm on the saturday (8th ofMay I think).
What is the software you use, and is there a mac version? It would be useful to get hold of a copy.

Mike the water may look flat- but the waves at the distant Scarba shore (1km away) are pretty large- I wouldnt like to guess how big- but they were big and noisy. Its a pity we dont have a soundtrack for this image- It was real noisy.

Thanks for putting it together Douglas- Cheers Tony

Mike Buckley

Re: Time

Post by Mike Buckley » Sun May 23, 2004 2:01 pm

Cheers Tony - thought it might have been!! :eek I'll be interested to see what Douglas says regarding the state of the tide etc - - -

I think clarity helps - hate to see an unsuspecting innocent lured into the Corry because it looked flat in a pic! Great pic btw.

Mike.

(Should we get some "I've been thro the Corry and survived" T Shirts?? Perhaps with the ukriversguidebook url on as well ?? 8) :evil )

Douglas Wilcox

Re: Time

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Tue May 25, 2004 8:42 am

Tony's Pictures are dated 8/5/05 at 1607BST.
Oban HW was 0848 BST and 2111BST
The morning tide was 3.7m and the afternoon 3.8m 2 days after a 4.1m spring.
The Corry Ebb (WtoE) starts at -0145 at Springs
The Flood (EtoW) starts at +0430 at springs so when the photo was taken the flood had started at 1318 so we are looking at 3 hours after the turn of the tide. The tidal stream atlas shows the same sized large arrow for 5 hours during the flood.

West wind, swell, atmospheric pressure (which affects levels in Sound of Jura) can all greatly increase the water turbulence. My photo above shows the ebb which is less violent, about three hours after the turn on a mid neap/spring tide, light west wind, light swell, high pressure.

Having found myself playing (ie sucked in) in a small overfall (1km) with a force 5 westerly and random head high cones of water at the weekend, I do not feel ready for the Corry just yet.

Douglas