Loch Scavaig

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Douglas Wilcox

Loch Scavaig

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:04 pm

Been out windsurfing at Troon today, so got home at a decent time and managed to catch up with some photographs of our recent Loch Scavaig, Skye trip.

More at:

http://www.gla.ac.uk/medicalgenetics/seakayaking.htm

http://www.gla.ac.uk/medicalgenetics/se ... cavaig.htm

Douglas
:)
Edited by: Douglas Wilcox at: 3/15/04 7:19 am

Mark R

Dougs pin-up daughter.

Post by Mark R » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:07 am

Douglas...any chance please of getting the first pic at 1024 x 768...ie. desktop size?

-----------Mark Rainsley

Mark R

Re: Dougs pin-up daughter.

Post by Mark R » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:09 am

I didn't say, but....the best yet.

And this is hardly faint praise.

-----------Mark Rainsley

Douglas Wilcox

Re: Dougs pin-up daughter.

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:21 am

Hi Mark,

I am afraid it's not a very good technical photo, it was raining and windy and rain and spray were on the lens. But it shows if you get out enough, there are lots of photo opportunities.

www.gla.ac.uk/medicalgene...g_desk.jpg

Douglas

Jonathan Theobald

Douglas's art

Post by Jonathan Theobald » Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:52 am

Wonderful pix, Douglas.

I know you've got a proper job, but if ever you decide to diversify I can see a publisher snapping you up.

Jim

Re: Douglas's art

Post by Jim » Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:19 pm

Right, presumably thats an SMC hut??? Is it possible to get ashore there and camp on that green patch - or is it covered in climbers excrement? I hardly need to ask that, possibly the worst place to consider camping!

Still need to get the maps and start looking at options for the Easter trip - must be getting close???

JIM

Douglas Wilcox

Re: Scavaig

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:44 pm

Thank for kind comments everyone, I only photographed what I saw! I think we have discussed this before, but I am not sure photography is actually art!

Wonderful place to visit. Jim, I think easter round the smc hut might be quite busy, quite apart from the smc members (whose keech is pretty much like that of the rest of the population) the "Bella Jane" drops day visitors there every two hours.

www.streetmap.co.uk/newma...srf&dn=828

You could bivvy in the rocks (with mat) at the head of Port Sgaile ng492193, for camp sites a little rise at the outflow of coruisk ng490196 remains a bit drier and I have camped there before.

www.gla.ac.uk/medicalgene...ruisk3.jpg

If you drag the kayaks up to coruisk you will find other sites further round the loch but many day visitors like to walk round the loch from the jetty.

You could also camp/bothy at Camasunary which is the beach with the white house (not the bothy) in the rainbow picture above. Be aware it is now on the backpackers route with guided parties

www.see-scotland.com/page...ayitin.htm

which is why I like winter paddling!

Alternatively, you could camp at the nw end of soay
ng462159 or ng470158

see arial view of soay from cuillin pano:

www.gla.ac.uk/medicalgene..._pano2.jpg

or at Rubh an Dunain ng395160

www.gla.ac.uk/medicalgene...unain4.jpg

www.gla.ac.uk/medicalgene...whales.jpg

This is a truly awsome viewpoint, everytime I have been I have seen, ceteceans, minke whales, pilot whales, bottlenose and common dolphins, porpoises and in 1982 a pod of 5 orca!

Be aware this is an exposed coast and it doesn't take much wind to generate a really nast lumpy sea off this point and there is no sandy beach on this coast between Port Sgaile (below high tide) and Glen Brittle (pay camp site).

There, I have even given grid refs to some of my favorite spots, must be getting soft in my old age, or maybe it was all the flattery!

Douglas

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:03 pm

Thanks Douglas!

I got maps yesterday and there are loads more potential sites than I was expecting (for small goups who can land on the rough as well as sand!). I don't even know if I can get the guys to head that way but I have always wanted to head into Loch Scavaig in a sea kayak so I will have to press them if we have settled spell forecast!

Interestingly some of your favourite spots are bits I hadn't specifically noticed on the maps, one is exactly a spot I would have been checking out though! I'm fairly certain that if paddling along the right bits of coast (as opposed to crossing to another bit to cut corners) we would probably spot those landings anyway, biggest problem is who we trust to send ashore and decide on the campsite/firewood situation before we all land :)

Oh yeah the panorama shot won't load for me (might be my crap computer).

JIM

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:10 pm

Just seen a really good gaelic documentary about Skye on BBC2 Scotland. Lots of loveley arial shots of the Cuillin and the lochs.

www.ccg.org.uk/press/04/07.htm

Jim, there will be plenty of driftwood round the brackish Loch na h-airde at Rubh an Dunain. It is connected to the sea by a Viking canal and the winter storms drive all sorts of flotsam and jetsam into it.

There is definitly no sandy beach there so you need to like landing on rocks or kelp depending on the tide. The views from here are stupendous.

To see the panorama, right click on the hotlink, save target as, then open the file with whatever image viewing program is on your computer.

Have a great trip.

Douglas
Edited by: Douglas Wilcox at: 3/18/04 8:20 pm