kielder paddling

Inland paddling
Magpie

kielder paddling

Post by Magpie »

I ve been told by kielder water that i need a bcu cert to say i can paddle and 3rd party insurance just to paddle flat water . Is this true ??

Does anyone know off anywhere close to kielder forest for a paddle ?
Flat water or a little playspot will do , girlfriend is paddling so nothing above a grade 2/3
paddle like f##k

quicky

Post by quicky »

What is you can poaddle but have never joined the BCU or want to for that matter. Seem a little strange.

Are they covering there backs insurance wise?

Grumpy old man

Post by Grumpy old man »

Hi Magpie
All you have heard about Kielder is true, the biggest man made lake in Europe, and there is only one place for the Public to launch a canoe or kayak and you also have to pay a deposit as well. On a positive note Prudhoe in the Tyne valley looks the ideal place you are looking for, a flat pool and some little grade 1/2 rapids with no fee, except the car park. There is a Div 4 slalom there on Sunday but there is plenty of room for everybody to paddle. The place you want to look for is Tyne Riverside Park, Low Prudhoe, Prudhoe, down by the railway station.
Pm me if you want to know more I'll give you my phone number.

Grumpy
Paddle well, Have fun.

Lloyd Allin

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

quicky wrote:What is you can poaddle but have never joined the BCU or want to for that matter. Seem a little strange.

Quicky, were you drunk when you wrote this?

quicky

Post by quicky »

if only, hands typing faster than eyes going

Magpie

Post by Magpie »

quicky wrote:What is you can poaddle but have never joined the BCU or want to for that matter. Seem a little strange.

why should i be part of a club or org just to do what i enjoy the most . I drive a wagon all week and the gov takes the p@@s with the costs so why should i join a club , org , or pay to enjoy what is sent from up above at no charge . as a geordie i say " BOLLOCKS "
paddle like f##k

feelingjustfine

Post by feelingjustfine »

Sign the access campaign-free access to all!!! WOOP WOOP!!!

Shabba;-P.

chris.
dam the dart :)

Magpie

Post by Magpie »

DUN IT ALREADY
paddle like f##k

quicky

Post by quicky »

why should I be part of a club or org just to do what I enjoy the most . I drive a wagon all week and the gov takes the p@@s with the costs so why should I join a club , org , or pay to enjoy what is sent from up above at no charge . as a geordie I say " BOLLOCKS "
What I meant was - Are they saying before you are allowed to paddle you have to be part of a club or the BCU.

I did not mean join one!

By the same token do you have to be part of the RSPB to go and bird watch there?

Sorry if I caused confusion.

Magpie

Post by Magpie »

you have to have a cert saying you can paddle . 1 star bcu and have 3rd party insurance to be able to paddle on the lake . Will let you know if we get busted this weekend .
paddle like f##k

Notters

Post by Notters »

aye just go paddle it, i've not seen any signs up around kielder. try staying away from the busy bits like leiplish etc and find a wee quiet spot to launch from near the top end. and you should be fine.

I think the tyne or the tees might have some bits worth a paddle. if not head up over the border and do some of the tweed which is hassle free and free and has many wee playspots.

gid luck anyway mate.

adawes

Kielder

Post by adawes »

I used to work for hawkhirst adventure camp, thats your best place to launch speak to either kim or lynda and tell them adam sent you. You shouldn't have any problems. Let me know how you get on

Hearne63

Re: kielder paddling

Post by Hearne63 »

I drove up to kielder with my two sons to paddle and wild camp, unaware of the rules and the severe policing of the resovoir by Northumbrian water we set off on the water and I noticed we were being trailed by a car on the north haul road further on a man jumped out of the car screaming and shouting waving his arms looking very angry, I had no intention of paddling over to him or leaving the water safety of my boys being paramount,
We found quiet inlet and pulled boat up and made camp soon after a a power boat rib arrived scouring the shoreline I was sure it was the man so we layed low he spent a great amount of time searching for us, I was very nervous at this point wondering what was going on,
We spent an uneasy night in the woods,the next day we struck camp and paddled towards our car lo and behold the power boat came hurtling across lake same man he was very angry and abusive I tried to explain he told me to shut up and get off water he shadowed us until we landed, it was a terrible experience for me and the boys we will never go back so damaging to tourism, I still don't understand his unbelievable anger at one canoe, it's the lakes or Scotland never ever kielder.

Notters

Post by Notters »

Wow, when was this, I was out last year on Kielder and there was somebody following me and watching me but never caught up with me. I did feel uneasy though. My original comment was in 2008 so im guessing a lot has changed. not sure why they feel the need to deter canoeists. I know its a water supply to Newcastle but I'm sure they've all drunk worse than my pee off the side of my boat.
Notters@Team_Borders

Hearne63

Post by Hearne63 »

This happened last year, it was a bit over the top I couldn't even talk it over in civilised manner as he was in a rage

Poke

Post by Poke »

Sounds like something worth reporting given the guys demenour. Some of the various campaigns around collect data like this.

Think this is (one of?) the links, this is also for accidents aswell as access incidents. You don't have to be a member:
https://www.britishcanoeing.org.uk/go-c ... -reporting
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

Notters wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 7:35 pm
I know its a water supply to Newcastle but I'm sure they've all drunk worse than my pee off the side of my boat.
It's not as if you drink it without treatment. Just in case anyone was worried, all the birds crap in it, the fish too and when the level increases it washes in the dog, fox, deer crap as well. Then they treat it and tell you it is potable.

I really cannot understand anyone getting wound up about the occasional canoeist

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

Then they treat it and tell you it is potable
It's even less straightforward than that. There are no pipelines from Kielder, the water is released down the N Tyne, and abstracted from the Tyne along with everything it might have picked up on the way. The original plan included pumping it from the Tyne over the watershed to the Tees, but so far as I know the tunnel has never been used, although you can see the tunnel mouth if you paddle the Tees from Eggleston.

Notters

Post by Notters »

Same. I really can’t see what the issue is. If anything it brings another strand of tourism to an otherwise empty area. Cyclist or logging does far more damage.

Wasn’t there a big plan a few years back to connect kielder to lots of area to the south with a pipeline?
Notters@Team_Borders

Poke

Post by Poke »

Think theres already a big pipe in to the Tees.
Had a quick look on google. I think hereis where it comes in, but could be wrong.

Though in googling that scheme, it looks like there was a plan ~20 years back to extend this southwards to the likes of the Swale. No idea if that happened or not.
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

Think theres already a big pipe in to the Tees.
Had a quick look on google. I think here is where it comes in, but could be wrong.
Yes, that's the one I was referring to. A bit more Googling suggests it has been used, but rarely, at least at first, although the pumping station at Riding Mill on the Tyne is being refurbished, so there must be expectations that it will be used in future.

Jim

Post by Jim »

I thought that after a couple of transfers EA realised that it was not very good for the ecology of the Tees to introduce water from a different river system and gave up on it. Certainly in the mid 90's when I was in Newcastle they used tankers to transfer water from Kielder to Yorkshire rather than the pipeline, I remember it being on the news every summer...

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”