Jura

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
MikeB

Jura

Post by MikeB » Sat Jan 24, 2004 5:51 pm

Anyone got any experience of Jura? Specifically the West side, running South to North.

I'm looking for camping suggestions, overview of conditions, tides etc - the sort of detail I can't get from the pilot, charts or maps.

Links to trip-reports or the like appreciated as well as I can't seem to find any.

Should anyone have info, but not want to "publish" ;) it, I'd welcome input privately on mikeDOTbuckleyjonesATbtinternet. (Obvious spam traps!)

Thanks - Mike.

sub5rider

Re: Jura

Post by sub5rider » Sat Jan 24, 2004 6:18 pm

Anyone got any experience of Jura?
Wish I had...... :\

Mike - do you have a copy of Haswaell-Smith's "Scottish Islands" ?
Nigel, aka Sub5Rider, Onioneer
Edited by: sub5rider  Image at: 1/24/04 6:25 pm

Douglas Wilcox

Dreaming of Jura

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Sat Jan 24, 2004 8:57 pm

Well apart from a damn fine smokey malt....

I have sailed up the west coast many years ago, it is a most amazing coastline with dramatic raised beaches and caves, some of which are high and dry. As we had the yacht, we stayed afloat in West Loch Tarbet and Bagh Gleann nam Muc which is a sheltered anchorage off the Corryvreckan!

There are plenty small bays to land/camp at between these two and you could spend several days exploring WLT. which also has raised beaches and some races through the narrows at springs.

I have never seen so many adders as I have on Jura so shake your boots out in the morning.

The hinterland is really rough. On a really hot windless June day, we got dropped off by dinghy at Shian Bay while the yacht motored over to Colonsay. We did the 3 Paps of Jura and met the yacht at Corpach Bay.

This was the toughest mountain day I have ever done, even harder than doing all the Mamores on the one day, you would break an anke if you only took trainers.

It was on this same trip that I spotted this really good campsite on the mainland side of the sound of Jura.

www.gla.ac.uk/medicalgene..._37soj.jpg

This year we hope to paddle across the SoJ from Carsaig bay to Tarbert on the E of Jura and do a Viking style drag of the kayaks on trolleys across the 2.5 kilometer track (rough) to WLT then up the west coast.

Oh I nearly forgot the midges are like some Gallapagean mutant superspecies (remember I am a fully card carrying geneticist!

Douglas
:o )

Douglas Wilcox

Jura through the mists of time

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Sat Jan 24, 2004 9:24 pm

Douglas>The hinterland is really rough. On a really hot windless June day, we got dropped off by dinghy at Shian Bay while the yacht motored over to Colonsay. We did the 3 Paps of Jura and met the yacht at Corpach Bay.

Time plays tricks after 30 odd years! Just dug my map out! This day we actually climbed the very rough North Jura Hills, Rainberg Mhor and Beinn Bhreac. We climbed the Paps of Jura the day before from Glen Batrick bay on WLT.

Douglas

MikeB

Jura

Post by MikeB » Sun Jan 25, 2004 1:57 am

Nigel - yes.

Douglas - hmmmm - yeh, its quite good - not as damn fine as Lagavullin, Talisker or even (the king!) Laphroaig.

Ta - all other offerings welcome.

Mike.

sub5rider

Post by sub5rider » Sun Jan 25, 2004 5:34 pm

Nigel - yes.
I'll not quote chunks of it at you, then....

On the "other" topic, I've a bit of an Ardbeg habit at the mo'. :o
Nigel, aka Sub5Rider, Onioneer

GEORDIE

jura

Post by GEORDIE » Sun Jan 25, 2004 6:05 pm

you can camp for free on the lawn in front of the jura hotel at craighouse and you can use their showers for a£1.00 atleast you could three years ago

Douglas Wilcox

Ardbeg

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Sun Jan 25, 2004 6:25 pm

Yes I like Talisker and Lagavullin too but I agree with Nigel on Ardbeg. I am enjoying the 10 year old at the moment. I love the way the whole room smells like there is a peaty fire in the grate.

I have one of those little collapsible stainless steel whisky sniifters for enjoying a wee dram while sea kayaking.

Douglas
:)

Jim

Re: Ardbeg

Post by Jim » Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:01 am

The main bottles on the go here are a Laphroig and a Bowmore Cask Strength. Mmmmmm lovely!

JIM

apage

Jura

Post by apage » Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:51 am

A couple of years a go, we had a day paddle from Bunnahabhein (sp?) on Islay across the sound of Islay and up into WLT, then back. My friend Gavin went all the way trhough the narrows and back- I explored the caves and beaches just at the entrance to them. We managed 45 and 50 kms that day- All with tidal assitance- The sound really pushes fast up the south west coast- the crossing back to Islay was helllish, the tide just turning against the building wind- and very little reserves of energy left. Use the tide!
There are endless possible camp sites on the South West and in WLT- just check the map- there are alot of little streams and flat grassy areas- tons of driftwood.

I found an excellent spot several years before, when I was walking (over several days) from Feolin up to WLT then over the Paps. I camped near Ruhha Lang - Aoinich. Beautiful site; running water, otters visited the camp in the morning and lots of wood. During my beach combing for wood I found an open grave on the foreshore- a red sandstone body sized crypt amoungst the white quartzite boulders. I also found a wrecked fan boat (you know those things you see buzzing around the everglades) - it was still there 2 years ago- but its beginning to disappear..
We had a plan do the same boat dragging trip that Douglas suggested through WLT and up over the top- since we have previously covered the Southern half. Havent yet managed up the North West Coast but have been throught the Vreckan and down the North East Coast- again it has so many little bays and inlets for camping- a sea kayaking heavan.. Tony

MikeB

Jura

Post by MikeB » Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:29 pm

Douglas "I have one of those little collapsible stainless steel whisky sniifters for enjoying a wee dram while sea kayaking" - hmmmmm - don't you find that the salt-water splashing into the brew does nothing for the flavour?

A bit like "drinking and driving" - something I stopped doing years ago as I kept spilling it all over the steering wheel - - - - -

I've got one of those collapsible thingies too - wonderful, until you put it down a bit heavily on a rock or something adn the blasted thing collapses on itself, spilling the precious liquid all over some island beach! I also have a rather nice flask by the same manufacturers - now that IS an item of essential kayaking kit! 8)

Mike.

Dave Thomas

Post by Dave Thomas » Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:05 pm

A bottle of Bowmore 'Mariner' 15 year is going down rather nicely at the moment, as a change from the usual Lagavulin or Ardbeg.

Roll on teh summer - W coast of Jura sounds good!

Incidentally, has anyone here done the full tour of the Islay distilleries by sea kayak. Nothing like combining one's interests!

Dave