Anything to get "her" in a boat

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
excited puppy

Anything to get "her" in a boat

Post by excited puppy » Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:41 pm

Does anybody know where I could get a relatively cheap two person sea kayak. I didnt do a good job of introducing my girlfriend to white water and now she wont go near a river. I thought I might just get her duck taped into the front of a sea kayak.... any suggestions. (I liked the look of Mark's photos but the boat looked a little wide?) Any help welcome!

MikeB

Boating with birds

Post by MikeB » Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:06 pm

Hmmm - combining the words "cheap" and "double sea kayak" may be a little difficult!!!! I'd try all the usual suspects and stick ads in as well. E Bay sometimes has boats as does the like of Adtrader.

I guess you'd find a yank placcy boat which might do the job but a proper sea boat is going to cost - and how! Things like Aleut II's aren't going to be cheap.

Anyway, once you've found/borrowed a suitable double, you then need to excercise some cunning and guile in your quest to seduce your lady in the gentle art of sea paddling.

First - a short trip - on a nice, warm, calm day. NO scary stuff and if it bores you it's probably at the right level for a novice, especially one you've managed to scare already :D

Second - a short trip - with a really nice lunch - good sandwiches, a bottle of Chardonay, pleasant surroundings, strawberries and cream. You get the pic. Its all basic psychology and assocaition.

Third - no overnighters. Not yet anyway. Once you do go overnighting, make sure you end up in a nice B&B/pub/hotel so that lady can do hair washing things, make up etc etc.

Avoid boiled sea-gull - the feathers get everywhere. Much better to take some relativly impressive but easy to cook grub which YOU prepare for your lassie! DO NOT expect her to prepare unfamiliar food in unfamiliar surroundings on unfamiliar cooking type appliances.

(Unless of course she is a committed outdoor type anyway, in which case I want her phone number - - - -)

Have fun!

Mike.

chris

Boating with birds

Post by chris » Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:19 pm

If you are talking about a new but inexpensive boat, consider an Ace Explorer 515. Kayaks and Paddles Bournemouth branch sell it.

Jonathan Theobald

Double the fun

Post by Jonathan Theobald » Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:43 pm

You might also considering joining a BCU sea kayaking symposium. Earlier this year I went to a couple where thanks, I believe, to the BCU sea touring committee, I was able to use one of their doubles.

Andy Proctor seemed to have care of the ones I borrowed.

Jim

Re: Boating with birds

Post by Jim » Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:55 pm

Personally I wouldn't go near an Ace boat just in case you get caught out in some waves because all the ones I've ever seen have been way too flimsy for sea use. I am not familiar with all of them so might be being unfair.

However, on our Summer isles trip we were accompanied by an Excursion (Prijon I think) which proved quite capable as a double sea boat - quite capable of outpacing any of the singles and adequately strong. It is a bit short and wide for a british sea boat, but like I say with 2 paddlers in it (you might have less than 2 'paddlers' to start with) it proved more than a match for even the most experienced nordkapp paddlers in the group. I think the basic version will cost about as much as a river boat does these days, but our experience with it shows that you really should pay extra for the rudder because home made efforts fall apart.... (and it could do with the improved tracking given by a rudder, or at least a skeg).

There are probably other polythene doubles about that I'm not really aware of, just remember the base price for a new Aluet Sea II is about £2500 so even second hand they are probably more than a new polythene boat! For shorter trips a topo duo would suffice (and you probably know somewhere to borrow one), but note that tracking is not great.

As for the photos of Mark and Heather, they were in North America (Canada) where most sea kayaks seem to be wider and higher volume than we are familiar with. That doesn't necessarily make them bad boats, but possibly not suitable for storm lashed west of Scotland trips - which isn't what you would be doing so not a problem.

Good luck!

JIM

Jonathan Theobald

Kayaker and a gentleman

Post by Jonathan Theobald » Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:02 pm

Mike, my attempts to introduce my lady to the joys of sea-kayaking were not a resounding success, BCU double notwithstanding

Having just read your sensitive and thoughtful words, she tells me she'd like your phone number.

MikeB

Moi??

Post by MikeB » Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:45 pm

ROFLOL - highly flattered - thanks :)

chris

Boating with birds

Post by chris » Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:22 am

Sun Kon Tiki at £850? http://www.sunkayaks.com

Denry

Doubles

Post by Denry » Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:26 am

The Prijon excursion is an excelent boat. I paddled one on my first sea kayak trip with another beginner. We tried it with out a rudder first and were paddling twice as far as everyone else due to our rarther convoluted course, however after the addition of the rudder (at someone else's expense :lol ) We had to try hard not to get ahead of the rest of them. It look stub-like from the outside, but I'd highly recommend them.
Denry

MikeB

Partenrs

Post by MikeB » Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:07 am

It must be really nice if you and your partner share similar interests, or at least understand each others differnt interetsts.

excited puppy

Bad name

Post by excited puppy » Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:30 am

Mike, great suggestions, well they would have been if "she" didnt see them first, now she wants your number and I am looking for a shuttle!

Seriously thanks for all the suggestions!

MikeB

Dating?

Post by MikeB » Tue Nov 18, 2003 6:12 pm

Should we perhaps have an aquatic/kayaking version of Match.com????

Paddling people who seek partners whose paddling needs match each others could then find each other and paddle happily ever after ;)

Mike.

(Phone number on request - - - - )

excited puppy

hehehehe

Post by excited puppy » Wed Nov 19, 2003 11:09 am

Or we could make sure they dont leave the kitchen.... like the good old days :rollin

Douglas Wilcox

partners in boats.

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Wed Nov 19, 2003 10:53 pm

My pal David has a 1965 Tyne folding tandem, it took me all my time to keep up in a Quest!:

www.gla.ac.uk/medicalgene...castle.jpg

My wife does come along in boats so perhaps I might give some tips similar to Mike's:

Choose gentle non threatening conditions:

www.gla.ac.uk/medicalgene...05spey.jpg

Stop frequently

www.gla.ac.uk/medicalgene...ybeach.jpg

Aim for a destination which is in clear view, an empty horizon is threatening.

www.gla.ac.uk/medicalgene...0fleet.jpg

Surprise your partner by producing breakfast stuff and cause amazement by knowing how to cook it.

www.gla.ac.uk/medicalgene...5fleet.jpg

Introduce rougher conditions in a familiar environment:

www.gla.ac.uk/medicalgene...5fleet.jpg

Take the scenic route:

www.gla.ac.uk/medicalgene...eldaig.jpg

Be prepared to turn back as soon as your partner gets tired, scared, bored or develops withdrawl symptoms far from retail centres.

www.gla.ac.uk/medicalgene...eldaig.jpg

Be prepared to make an occasional sortie yourself into a dangerous threatening environment where you might feel out your depth. In my case, the furniture department of John Lewis.

Douglas
:)

MikeB

Partners

Post by MikeB » Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:22 am

Douglas - "producing breakfast stuff and cause amazement by knowing how to cook it"

Sorry, but I have to take issue with your interpretation of breakfast! Your pic only shows juice, bacon and tomatoes and a few bread rolls.

Breakfast, even in a camp situation, should consist of nothing less than sausage, bacon, egg, black pudding, mushrooms, beans, fried soda bread and tomatoes.

Acompanied by freshly brewed coffee, cereal, juice and fruit.

Oh yes - and fresh butter to cook the heart-attack inducing goodies in!! :D

Mike.

Jim

Mikes breakfast

Post by Jim » Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:40 am

And if anyone was ever in any doubt as to how MikeB achieves his physique, the secret appears to be out of the bag now :)

Sorry Mike, but even I can't scoff that much for brekkie!

JIM

Douglas Wilcox

luncheon

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Tue Nov 25, 2003 6:19 pm

Not to be outdone by Mike's culinary and gastronomic enthuisiasm, on our recent little trip to Arisaig we took two frying pans for a party of 2!

www.gla.ac.uk/medicalgene...risaig.jpg

It's a healthy life this sea kayaking, well in addition to the fry up we had an apple!

Douglas :)

Laras Stunt Double

Dating

Post by Laras Stunt Double » Sun Nov 30, 2003 7:26 pm

What a great idea, I’m fed up of attracting couch potatoes. My profile would be:

“Don’t mind being out in all weathers, will pee in shrubbery if need be (mind the ticks though!), not too keen on camping, but could be bribed into it (with wine, chocolate, full body massage, etc :b ), and will eat boiled seagull.

Looking for a gorgeous, fit, athletic, outdoors type (swoon!), preferably one who can cook :D ”

Liz.

MikeB

Dating

Post by MikeB » Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:48 pm

Right! Lets see. Liz's requirements are:

1) Cooking ability - yep - do that.
2) Outdoor type - yep - do that.
3) Athletic - ah - hmmm - has she seen the phots? If not, then maybe I could wing that one :lol
4) Fit is relative! Oh - that sort of "fit". Hmmm - yes, sort of - ish.
5) Gorgeous - can't comment really!

Concerned however at the need for ongoing bribery to attract the lady to the joys of camping - well, perhaps not the "full body massage bit" - I can do that.

Better get that new board up asap Mark - Liz and I need to meet :evil Mike.

Helen

Dating

Post by Helen » Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:13 pm

5) Gorgeous - can't comment really!

But I can - course you are darlin' - not sure about the cookin' bit though given the North Berwick caravan comment!

Helen

MikeB

caravaning with Helen!

Post by MikeB » Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:01 pm

Ah yes :evil |I - while walking thro our luxury-caravan-home-for-that-particular-weekend I was foolsih enough to comment as follows:

Mike - "ah - bedrooms - who wants what?"
Helen & Kathy - "we'll have that one" (Twitter twitter)
Tim - "I'll have the luxury, double, en-suite"
Mike - "humph - me gets the tiny, cramped twin then!"

Mike - "ah - shower, toilet - nice!"
All - "lovely"

Mike - "ah - the kitchen - Helen!"
Helen - TWACK across back of Mike's head with wine bottle!

Anyway - I wasn't going to tell that story - but seeing as how the only one of us actually doing any cooking was MOI (nice pizza, huh?) I shall tell it!

Any road up - suffice to say that any weekend with Helen is good fun! I won't comment on her alchohol tolerance :hat

Watch my skill with Seagull al Fresco avec Salmon Mousse en Croute at the Etive outing. And, all on a single MSR as well!

Would Liz treat me in such a cavalier manner I wonder?
:rolleyes

Jim

Re: Dating

Post by Jim » Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:02 am

1) Cooking ability - Of course, when I can be bothered. Tend to go for quick high carb meals when camping/paddling, nothing fancy, just practical!
2) Outdoor type - Except when I get stuck inside decorating because no-one else wants to go out to play :(
3) Athletic - Well I'm not a runner but I cycle quite a lot, and paddle if the chance arises.
4) Fit - I don't think so but other people always do? Never been into checking my heart rate or anything like that but I'm obviously fit enough for what I do. I assume I've got the right kind of fit and the other one will be covered below.
5) Gorgeous - Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! I'm obviously biased so I really don't know.

I can see many problems though!
> Liz is away doon south
> She doesn't seem the sort of person to live out of a rucksack or boat for a couple of weeks with no set plan or definite campsite in mind
> Her enthusiasm for camping doesn't take much reading between the lines. I'm not that enthusiastic about it anymore but I'm definitely accustomed to just dossing wherever I can (apparantly the guys at work think it's wierd how I sometimes curl up under my desk at lunchtime for a nap, I think it's wierd that some guys sleep in their chairs at lunchtime, that always gives me a stiff neck!), camping can be quite a civilsed way of doing it!
> If I've remembered rightly and read between the lines right (so almost certainly not) Liz is a bit of a novice and is looking for mentors or whatever - I'm not very good with novices any more (sit back and wait David P to make that smutty).

JIM

David P

Re: Dating

Post by David P » Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:15 am

sit back and wait David P to make that smutty
Nah - not goin' to. Seem to have caused enough trouble last night for the time being... ;)
--
David P.