Sticky Paddles!^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
smallbear

Sticky Paddles!^

Post by smallbear » Thu May 15, 2008 12:56 pm

Maybe this has already been discussed elsewhere on the forum in which case apologies but......
I have two Werner paddles - a Shuna and a Cascadia. I am well chuffed with both of them and the Shuna in particular has been used on an almost weekly basis since purchase last Autumn. My problem is, I find that the paddle 'sticks' to the point that neither me nor my partner can separate it after use. A few weeks ago, I gave them both a good soak in a bucket of fresh water and they did perform a bit better - I figured they had got some sand in them or something. However, I'm back to square one and after a trip to Skye at the weekend, my Cascadia is sitting in the kitchen stuck solid!
Has anyone else had this problem or am I doing something really stupid?? Any suggestions for getting the Cascadia apart and for how to stop it happening in future? I am aware that I shouldn't be twisting the paddle when I pull it apart and I have always been careful not to do this so I'm at a bit of a loss - advice/suggestions hugely appreciated.

I paddle like a girl!

journeyman

Post by journeyman » Thu May 15, 2008 1:44 pm

I know this is a blindingly obvious question, but are you pressing the button, to release the lock, down far enough?
When you do get them apart have a look to see if something is jamming the mechanism in that half of the shaft.

This video may be of interest.

Cornholio

Post by Cornholio » Thu May 15, 2008 5:20 pm

Smallbear- Got an email from George about this, is he helping/advising you or is it a coincidence and he's got jammed paddles too? All I could suggest is soaking them if it's mainly salt, if it was sand there would surely be some abrasive noises when you last had trouble? Sounds like Journeyman may have the answer with a jammed/inefficient mechanism...
"God tells me he can get me out of this mess, but he's pretty sure you're f****d..."

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu May 15, 2008 6:36 pm

I recall a comment on Inland about "lubing" splits - the suggestion was to wipe your finger behind your ear, or the side of your nose and transfer the natural oils collected by doing so onto the relevant bit of the paddle.

I guess a light spray (and wipe off) of silcon based furniture polish would have the same result.

(Once you've got them apart of course - on which note have you tried really cold water to see if that'll help? Or, nice hot water?)

Mike

smallbear

Post by smallbear » Thu May 15, 2008 8:37 pm

Hi all - yes, I had emailed George about this so no, it's not an epidemic of "stuck Fife paddles"!
I've tried again and the button is being pressed down below the level of the shaft and it's still not budging. As I type, I have it with cold water running over the joint so I'll see if that helps. I've tried hot water since we got back from our last trip (which is when it had stuck) and that had no effect.
I've been good at rinsing the paddles after each use in fresh water and my partner's Lendals which have almost identical usage have not had this problem - maybe an email to the Werner site........????
I've just spent some more time trying to separate the paddle to no avail so I've decided the best approach is to email Werner first and see what they suggest. If anyone hears of any failsafe method in the meantime though.........

I paddle like a Girl

Erling

Post by Erling » Fri May 16, 2008 7:47 am

From Werner's old FAQ:

"My 2pc paddle is stuck together. What should I do?
There are times when no matter how well you take care of your ferrule dirt or salt will cause it to cease up or stay stuck together.
Warning: Do not use any type of lubricants like grease. They work great in the short term, but will eventually attract residue that often acts like a glue.
Step 1. Wash and soak your paddle with fresh water to try and break down any material in the joint.
Step 2. Carefully pour boiling water of the ferrule. It may cause the area to expand.
Step 3. Work paddle apart with gentle pulling or twisting, depending on the ferrule system you have. (Do not twist our Adjustable Ferrule System)
Step 4. After apart clean the area with a sponge and hot soapy water. If the button seems to be “sticking” run water down inside the shaft (pressurized water works best) while pushing the button in and out; repeat this process several times over a day or two until the button works smoothly.
Step 5. Remember to rinse your paddle after use and store it in two separate pieces."

--
I will add that adding vinegar to the hot water could be a good idea, assuming that salt from seawater might be causing the problem. This creates an acidic solution that is good for dissolving salt deposits. I have used it with success for stuck zippers in both my BA (salty seawater) and in my running gear (salty sweat).
The older I get, the better I used to be.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri May 16, 2008 7:51 am

Some judicious tapping with a wooden mallet or similar?

journeyman

Post by journeyman » Fri May 16, 2008 8:32 am

MikeB wrote:I recall a comment on Inland about "lubing" splits - the suggestion was to wipe your finger behind your ear, or the side of your nose and transfer the natural oils collected by doing so onto the relevant bit of the paddle.

I guess a light spray (and wipe off) of silcon based furniture polish would have the same result.

Mike
Werner advise very strongly not to use lubricants of any kind on their paddles in all their literature.

smallbear

Post by smallbear » Fri May 16, 2008 10:00 am

Hi all again,
The paddle has been balanced over the kitchen sink all night with a slow stream of cold water running over it. We've now been able to move it slightly so I'm keeping going with this for this morning. I did go and look at the video of how to keep the paddle clean etc which is also helpful. The vinegar might be a good idea too but if I get a mallet anywhere near it, I may not be responsible for my actions!
I saw Werner saying not to put any grease or lubricant near the ferrule so I'll not risk that. I've also soaked the Shunas this morning just to be on the safe side although they haven't stuck for a while.
The intention is to keep soaking the Cascadias for the rest of the day and see if we can then get it apart tonight. Many thanks for the continuing suggestions though -and I assume this isn't something that has happened to a lot of you out there?

I paddle like a Girl

Ceegee

Post by Ceegee » Fri May 16, 2008 1:48 pm

I would have thought that the issue of using grease or similar applies to ongoing use. Surely to actually get stuck paddles apart, a drop of silicone lube, vaseline or even WD40 would help, AS LONG AS you clean them meticulously afterwards with a de-greaser? Just a thought...

Steve

DISCLAIMER: the author accepts no liability for any damages, conseqential or otherwise, implied or not, of actions resulting from the reading of this post ;-)

tommfuller

Post by tommfuller » Fri May 16, 2008 4:32 pm

I was having a similar problem. I think grease / oil are a bad idea (for prevention I mean, not cure) but rubbing with a bit of a candle helped a lot.

Cheers,

Tom

(edited for spelling)

smallbear

Post by smallbear » Fri May 16, 2008 8:11 pm

Yay - verily hath the paddle been separated, I can hear you cheer from here! Cold water run over the joint from about 10pm on Thursday night until about 5pm today, on Friday. The paddle was definitely starting to budge so we tried another hour of hot water drizzling over it and hurrah, it finally gave in!
It turns out to have been sand I think. A very fine almost glue of it combined with sea water. After paddling from Elgol to Coruisk on Saturday, the paddle was not spilt or rinsed and we paddled around Soay and back to Elgol the following day before trying to separate it to get it in the car. It seems that was sufficient time for this 'glue' to take hold.
The paddles (Shuna and Cascadia) are now in a bucket of warm soapy water and will be cleaned to within an inch of their lives before being stored split and upright until they are used again, this Sunday hopefully. I'll have a think about candle wax. It seems Werner advise no form of grease or lubricant so hopefully being more careful in future will help too.
Many thanks for all the suggestions -

I paddle like a Girl!

MattB

sticky paddles

Post by MattB » Sat May 17, 2008 9:00 pm

I'd have thought a dry bike lube may help? I've used it on such things as my skeg cable and as previous posts have said providing any residue is completely cleaned off I can't think it could do any harm.

How do you find the Shuna. I was all set to get a Lendal until the Shuna caught my eye. Just can't quite bring myself to splash the cash without trying one!!!

Thanks

Matthew

smallbear

Post by smallbear » Sun May 18, 2008 8:37 pm

Had the Shuna since about October 07 and really do like them. I don't have a lot to compare them to but I find them pretty light and after a day's paddling, my wrists don't hurt. Previously. I'd been using club paddles which now feel like concrete in comparison! Two other folk in the club I'm in have them and can't see past them so we must be doing something right! Is there nobody you know who has one and could let you have a wee shot? All I can say is I haven't regretted spending the dosh on them....

I tried Sex Wax on the Shunas today and they definitely came apart more easily than they have done. I also flushed them out much more thoroughly with fresh water so hopefully the stuck paddle is a thing of the past.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sun May 18, 2008 9:22 pm

Lubing with graphite from a pencil would be another way - Mike

NeilG

Post by NeilG » Sun May 18, 2008 9:31 pm

Mike, Do you keep furtniture polish behind your ears then?!?!
Experience: something you get, just after you needed it...

Solent Kayak Pages

muddy1

Re: Sticky Paddles!

Post by muddy1 » Tue May 20, 2008 2:23 pm

You could try ACF50?

Seems to fix just about everything!

waltfos

icky paddles

Post by waltfos » Tue May 20, 2008 3:00 pm

Well here is an old grannies tip
Soak with malt vinegar bit smelly but works a treat on breaking down salt
Works also on drysuit zips as well.

Once split keep them clean and wash out after every paddle life is not a big rush its about enjoying life and getting the most out of what you have so look after it or them or loose them or are we a chuck away society.

Previous post by me to for midges etc apple cider vinegar just mix with water and drink and you will not have a problem the stronger the better. Make your own next harvest just put in a bucket and let nature break them down as to how they break down you may have to add some water only a little though sieve and bottle. Also does stings and bites too direct.

Arnt grannies great! Thought some of the older members would have posted an answer re mother natures recipies before this

PS mees engineer not doctor so seek advice on skin and consumption re above

Keep shoogling

smallbear

Post by smallbear » Tue May 20, 2008 8:28 pm

Well, so far the extra effort to flush out the joins has worked and the Sex Wax a fellow local paddler offered me has also made them much easier to separate - so far.
I can assure Waltfos that I wasn't 'slap dash' or hurried when rinsing them out after paddling prior to this - it was lack of experience and not realising the importance of flushing out the ferrules etc. Lesson learned the hard way which has been my way for the last four decades plus - I suppose it's too late to change now though!
Many thanks for all the suggestions and advice though - nice to be part of a bigger paddling community!

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:37 am

I'm pretty sure I've been advised to use graphite lubricant on splits.

e.g. this
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / Kodiak / My Videos