winter gear advice

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
elvishimselvis

winter gear advice

Post by elvishimselvis » Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:10 am

Can any one help with some advice about winter paddling gear. The bottom half especially. Last year I wore a wetsuit and thermal vest under my cag and bouyancy aid and was warm enough when in the boat. I am expecting to fall out more in bigger surf this year and go on longer and more exposed sea trips. I dont want to get too cold and wind beaten when stopping either. The main choice seems to be dry trousers, salopettes, or chill cheater type trousers.

Any advice on these, combinations of, or pros and cons would be 'warmly' appreciated. Thanks...

Jim

Re: winter gear advice

Post by Jim » Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:07 pm

Any of them would work with normal thermals underneath in the case of unlined trousers/salopettes.

However I find the surf gets water absolutely everywhere, so you will be warm but damp, a better plan might be to go for a drysuit with thermals or a wooly bear suit under if serious about surfing right through the winter.

JIM

apage

winter gear

Post by apage » Tue Sep 16, 2003 2:39 pm

Jim- Where do you get a woolly bear suit- and dont say a woolly bear?

Snooky

Woolly bear suit

Post by Snooky » Tue Sep 16, 2003 2:46 pm

All in one fleece suits is probably what Jim is referring to. Any good paddling shop will stock these, failing that give us a call on 01934 613612 ;-) arf arf
Cheers for now
Snooky

sub5rider

Re: Woolly bear suit

Post by sub5rider » Tue Sep 16, 2003 3:58 pm

Fibre pile, rather than fleece methinks. Commonly worn by divers under their drysuits.

I have one in a rather fetching shade of purple...shame I don't have a drysuit!

:\
Nigel, aka Sub5Rider, Onioneer

Steve B

Re: Woolly bear suit

Post by Steve B » Tue Sep 16, 2003 4:04 pm

Not necessarily fibre pile - modern fleece fabrics compare pretty well with heavier fibre pile ones. To be honest I've never worn either on my legs, but if I did I'd probably want something not too heavy and restrictive. Anyone actually tried both to get a comparison?

Steve B.

paddlermatt

winter gear advice

Post by paddlermatt » Tue Sep 16, 2003 4:06 pm

You could try buffalo or montane salopettes, fibre pile on the inside warm when wet and dries quickly and pertext windproof breathable outer. Ive just bought a new pair for this winter an dthe cut is much better

Jim

Woolly bears

Post by Jim » Tue Sep 16, 2003 7:20 pm

Short of going out and shooting yourself a woolly bear and then having to skin it, dry it and then make a suit out of it, the cheapest way is probably to hunt around your local army surplus grotto for a tank drivers winter suit. More expensive options probably include fishing, diving and sailing shops - which reminds me, if you buy a drysuit from the sailmakers in gateshead who's name I have forgotten they always seem to be advertising a free woolly bear suit with it.

I don't actually have either but I'm thinking about it again for the winter - assuming I'm going to get some paddling in!

JIM

Snooky

Fake woolly bears

Post by Snooky » Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:43 am

The suits are available from Yak/Crewsaver(same company), Bowstone, Gill and many others, going rate for an average quality / weight suit is about £35 - £45 for an all in one zip front jobby with sleeves. If you really feel the cold then make sure it is a good weight fleece, it is measured in Grams per square metre, any thing 250+ is good. I have a 380 and I have only warn it once and nearly boiled myself during 19 miles of purgatory on the Exe descent.
Hope this helps
Snooky

elvishimselvis

Re: Fake woolly bears

Post by elvishimselvis » Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:04 pm

Thanks for all the advice, looks like I'll be warm this winter after all. I'm off to hunt me a bear.
(not like the ones on www.badbears.com though!)

Steve B

Re: Fake woolly bears

Post by Steve B » Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:22 pm

Mark, don't follow that link while you're on the school network...

Steve B.

willsc1

Re: Winter Gear

Post by willsc1 » Sun Sep 21, 2003 10:17 pm

For a 'woolly bear' suit give Tim at West Midlands Canoe Centre a call, knowledgeable, helpful and reasonably priced mail order. You can get him on 01922 479 279 http://www.wmcc.co.uk