Adhesives

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
sub5rider

Adhesives

Post by sub5rider » Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:42 am

I have some "D" rings sewn to tape which in turn is sewn to 3" dia PVS patches. Originally meant for use on inflatables, one presumes.

Anyway I want to fix these inside my Onion's cockpit as tie-downs - I need to secure my electric pump.

So, what adhesive to use ?

Evostik contact/impact won't do, nor wouldd anything else on the shelves in Homebase or Do-it=All's. Haven't tried B&Q warehouse yet.

I had thought of Sikaflex being the most suitable but there are no local stockists open today.

Alternativley, am I better trimming away the PVC and glassing the tapes in situ. Wouldn't look pretty !

Nigel, aka Sub5Rider, Onioneer

Jim

Varnish!

Post by Jim » Sun Sep 14, 2003 4:49 pm

Nicely done onioneer! You've beaten me!

PVC sdhesives work by melting both surfaces together, and presumably can't do this to polyester/epoxy. I wonder though if after you've sanded the area of the hull it would be porous enough that the melted PVC could get a grip on it? I somehow doubt it, but it might be worth trying with some plumbers PVC pipe adhesive if you have a spare patch?

I reckon you should just bolt the patches on :-)

JIM

PS: varnish is a red herring too, it's not glue even though a lot of people seem to think it is!

ChrisB

Hot melt?

Post by ChrisB » Sun Sep 14, 2003 7:57 pm

You could try using a hot melt glue gun. It sticks most things to most other things, and can be remove with a readily available household appliance (kettle. I've used it to stick foam padding into boats, the usual problem is with the foam not the boat. Like fixing anything to fibreglass, the surface needs to be sanded.

Good luck (if you haven't already done it!)

Chris

sub5rider

Evostick

Post by sub5rider » Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:11 pm

It doesn't say it does it on the can, but Evostick appears to have successfully affixed my PVC pads to the inside of my boat.

After testing last night I now need to fix hip-pads in place. These must be slid into position, so contact adhesive is out.

I have some silicone sealant left over from doing the bath last w/e - will that work?

PS can now roll the Onion without falling out, despite not following Jim's advice re Evostick on the bum.

:b

sub5rider

Re: Evostick

Post by sub5rider » Sun May 09, 2004 1:04 pm

It doesn't say it does it on the can, but Evostick appears to have successfully affixed my PVC pads to the inside of my boat.
Ho-hum. I left my boat right way up in the yard this week and it has accumulated some rainwater. Switched the pump on to empty it and, shock :eek horror, one of the pads detached itself from the hull! The other didn't take too much pulling to get off, either. So it would appear that Evostick is unsuitable for PVC/epoxy joins that are subject to immersion.

Back to finding a Sikaflex stockist on a Sunday..... :\

MikeB

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sun May 09, 2004 1:42 pm

I think you'll probably find that glassing the tapes in is the best solution - if you have that nice woven strip stuff it will be much neater than faffing around with chopped mat.

Mail me at mikeDOTbuckleyjonesATATAT btinternet DODODTTY com and I'll mail you a pic of a similar job done on the Quest to secure a strum box under the seat.

Mike.

ol

Evo stick

Post by ol » Sun May 09, 2004 6:22 pm

>>After testing last night I now need to fix hip-pads in place. These must be slid into position, so contact adhesive is out.<<

I just got some new evo stick today from Focus which is supposed to be re-positionable for about 15 minutes so you should have no problems sliding it in. Thats if that is true of course.

sub5rider

Re: Evo stick

Post by sub5rider » Sun May 09, 2004 6:52 pm

Cheers Mike, but I'll try the Sikaflex first. It'll look neater, methinks. And there is always a little question mark over the ability of polyester resin (which is what I'll use) to bond with whatever flavour epoxy was used in the boat's construction. Where's that Wallis wallah when needed ?

(Well, actually, I had a postcard from the Phantom Ranch, Mile 80. No casualties, lots of boils - some even on the river - and scary pour-overs - mostly on the river......)
:lol

Cheers 'n' Beers

philbot

Adhesives

Post by philbot » Sun May 09, 2004 9:11 pm

Vynabond apparently, but you need to roughen / grind the laminate and the patch down to the point where you expose the fibres (ouch)theres a PDF on how to do it on most american open boat sites with Bear in the name, about £2.98 from Whitewater consultancy. Must work cos they glue thigh straps in with it. Fancy going halves? Ive got some "D" rings as well, for the same reason, they are on my "when I get a round to it" list.
Phil

sub5rider

Re: Adhesives

Post by sub5rider » Sun May 09, 2004 10:58 pm

£2.98 from Whitewater consultancy..... Fancy going halves? .....
Phil - I'll buy you a toob...!!

;)

Phil

Adhesives

Post by Phil » Mon May 10, 2004 1:57 am

If you could source me a "round tuit" my wife would be extremely grateful........

Kevin F

Post by Kevin F » Mon May 10, 2004 10:19 am

So I am told most of the Kayak Manufacturers use hot glue guns to fix everything to everything else. They are about £10 from B&Q and you can buy refills so will last years.

Kevin

sub5rider

Post by sub5rider » Mon May 10, 2004 12:37 pm

I'd need to know the glue temperature and the vynyl melt temperature, first. Don't have any spare to try it on.

Waterproof tho' as I've used it on plastic plumbing succesfully. :eek

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Mon May 10, 2004 4:18 pm

Hi Nigel,

To fix my attwood pump I used stainless steel d rings with a square base (from a chandler) and used epoxy glue, no problems.

Douglas

sub5rider

Post by sub5rider » Mon May 10, 2004 8:32 pm

steel d rings with a square base
Douglas, would that be a vynyl base or some other material ?

Have ordered Vyanabond from Mr Huw @ WWC today...

Cheers 'n' Beers

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Mon May 10, 2004 9:52 pm

Nigel, stainless steel base, about 2cm by 2cm.
Douglas