Big skys over the Firth of Lorne

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Douglas Wilcox

Big skys over the Firth of Lorne

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:54 am

The forecast of heavy showers was not too promising so we went for a short paddle round Kerrera. The light was amazing, but unfortunately I lost a lot of shots because of rain on the lens.

Full page at:
www.gla.ac.uk/medicalgene...errera.htm

tasters below:
www.gla.ac.uk/medicalgene...errera.jpg

Douglas :)

PS Tony Page reports another 60 km Corryvreckan paddle at:

www.gla.ac.uk/medicalgene...reckan.htm

andy

Big SKIES over Lorne

Post by andy » Mon Sep 08, 2003 4:48 pm

Douglas you have done it again! I got a camera full of greyness at the weekend, how do you get your cloudy/ rainy shots so punchy? At least my spooling is betir thn urs,
Andy

Jim

Re: Big SKIES over Lorne

Post by Jim » Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:56 pm

I'll skip right past the implication of digital enhancement (am I wrong in thinking that some have been?) and point out that it is mostly down to a good eye for the light!

Although the sky is covered with grey clouds, there are gaps, and lighter patches which have let the bright sunlight through in patches. These chinks of sunlight illuminate parts of the scene below the cloud cover and make for spectacular photographs. If you just go out in grey weather and don't look for the times when there is a bit of sunlight leaking under the cloud cover you will just get grey shots! It's partly luck, partly timing and readiness (sometimes a nicely lit scene will pass in 30 seconds or less as the clouds move overhead), and partly knowing what to look for! I'm sure there are also things to do with the settings of the digital camera, with my film camera I would just need to choose the fastest exposure to cut out boat movement, but digitals can do funny things with the light levels!

And am I right in thinking that some of the objects that appear to jump out of the photo's have been lightened or sharpened in software? I have slides that exhibit this effect so know it can be natural if the light is just right, but I've also seen something similar (much more exaggerated) on digital wedding photos where the photographer had clearly adjusted the bride and groom separately from the background - some were quite surreal!

Sorry to get irrelevantly technical again - I'm useless with masks and stuff and just wondering if Douglas has been making use of all that advanced editing stuff!

JIM

James F

desktop

Post by James F » Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:47 pm

very very nice Mr Wilcox.

Dont suppose you would care to send "The clouds clear off Rubha na Feundain" as 1024 x 768. Looks great as desktop wallpaper, but alas is a smidge to small (could make it bigger myself, but).

james@thamesweirproject.co.uk

ad-thanks-vance (like catchphrase, but cheesier)

Douglas Wilcox

Big Skyes over Lorne Desktop

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:52 pm

Hi James,

Desktop at:
www.gla.ac.uk/medicalgene...a_desk.jpg

I am delighted to share the photos because I am so lucky to live on the west coast and can manage trips like these in a day from home :)

But what is it with all this MR Wilcox stuff? If you want to be formal, it's DOCTOR Wilcox, otherwise I much prefer Douglas :)

Interestingly, the Gaelic origin of my name means "dark water", quite apt for a sea kayaker!

Douglas

thamesweir

ta

Post by thamesweir » Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:01 pm

thank you