Treshnish

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
MikeB

Treshnish

Post by MikeB » Tue Sep 02, 2003 3:37 pm

There is a plan afoot to try and get to the Treshnish during the next few weeks - but, its limited to a "long weekend" (Friday to Monday) so we need to look at the simplest "there and back" options.

Any thoughts please on:

1)Launch sots (where a car can be left) - probably in or around Loch na Keal. We dont really want to go out from Iona btw.

The Mull - Ulva ferry crossing - is that a viable launch spot? Or the beach SE of Inch Kenneth?

2)Landing / nice camp sites on Ulva and/or Gometra - one plan involves a short paddle on the Friday, using one or other as the jump-off for the islands.

3)Landing / nice camp sites on the Treshnish - I know about the north of Lunga.

4)Tides - can't get hold of an atlas for a day or so - what (if anything) do we need to be aware of???

All advice etc welcome - regs, Mike.

Jim

Re: Treshnish

Post by Jim » Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:38 pm

Check the ng, this is a trip I am keen to do at some point.

Cheers

JIM

Douglas Wilcox

Treshnish

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:01 am

Many years ago I sailed our Wayfarer from Loch na Keal out round Staffa and the Treshnish. On the tidal atlas the max spring tide flow to the west of Treshnish is about a knot. However, in the main passage just east of Lunga the tide runs faster, we used the outboard at that point. We again used the outboard on the way home round Cairn na Burgh because of the tide, but the wind was light. We launched from the south shore of Loch na Keal, SE of Eorsa. We landed at the top of Lunga on a spit of very large shingle, there was a pretty heavy swell despite a week of light to moderate winds.
Sounds great,
Douglas

Chris B

Treshnish

Post by Chris B » Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:42 pm

Tide Atlas: From HW Dover -4 to +2 it flows SSW (roughly along the Treshnish chain) fastest flow 04,10 Then from +3 to -5 it flows NNE, at a max of 03,09.

I've camped on Fladda, in the low bit bewteen the two bays. We landed from the North, and as I remember it was a long slippery beach at LW, but the camp spot was OK. We might (or might not, it was years ago) have decided that the South side would have been OK to land on - I think it was just that the sea was running onto the South beach.

Good luck - would be interested to know about any good spots as I hope to go back some day.

Chris

johnboy

Treshnish lauch splt

Post by johnboy » Sun Sep 07, 2003 8:10 pm

Going from Ulva Ferry is fairly easy. park car and paddle up to bothy or there is a sandy beach a bit further on (opposite Little Colonsay). You can't camp on Goemetra without permission but there is a spot between islands on north side.

MikeB

Ahhhh

Post by MikeB » Sun Sep 07, 2003 10:29 pm

Bothy sounds good - where is it please??

John Boy

Treshnish

Post by John Boy » Tue Sep 09, 2003 5:00 pm

The bothy is locked but there is plenty of water and a nice flat bit to camp. The bay is very sheltered and there are some interesting standing stones.
Grid ref 404 389 Have a look at website.lineone.net/~deep...e/mull.htm
if you want some pics
Parking at Ulva ferry is not a problem and we used this site as a base for a week.

MikeB

Threshnish

Post by MikeB » Tue Sep 09, 2003 6:08 pm

Cool - thanks. This seems to be an estate bothy - I understand a small fee gets access! Which is nice to know.

adrian j pullin

Re: Threshnish

Post by adrian j pullin » Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:44 pm

Looks like a great trip. Wish I could go!

I've always thought Staffa would be worth a trip. Does anyone know what the camping situation is on Staffa? I guess if you go round the back of the island and land late/leave early there won't be many people to notice!

Cheers

sub5rider

Re: Threshnish

Post by sub5rider » Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:50 pm

If you land the day before a 2-day force 7 you don't get noticed either....

www.bolton-sfc.ac.uk/bolt...age19.html

The Nordcapp Guru ponders possible outcomes...

www.bolton-sfc.ac.uk/bolt...age24.html
Nigel, aka Sub5Rider, Onioneer
Edited by: sub5rider at: 9/10/03 1:02 pm

Mike

Threshnish

Post by Mike » Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:14 am

Thanks for all info and pics - in the event, the forecast 5/6/7 gales put us off a little and the trip didn't happen - next year?

We ended up paddling out of Oban and round Lismore, which was quite interesting enough in itself :D

Mike.